318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,226 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,063 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,458 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
Aether tuning

Default The epic overkill plan for my TI

Ok, I've shared some of my plans for my TI in some of my other posts but I have decided to post it all here. Right now I have a mostly stock 95 TI sport which is good and all. But The body has seen better days. When I purchased the car it had plenty of rust and had been drifted into a wall at at least 30mph. Among many other damaging incidents. My current plan for the car is to do the following (not necessarily in the order i post them)
  • Full tubular frame and reinforced cage
  • Megasquirt 3 ECU install
  • Custom double A suspention similar to what F1 uses
  • Custom carbon fiber body and intereor (all done in house)
  • Widened wheel base (unsure of total width gain)
  • Custom sound system from my company (not doing big just HiFi)
  • Possible S42 clone conversion
  • Custom quad throttle body intake with dry ice cooling box
  • Possible boost (unsure may keep it N/A and just see how much power i can make)
  • Custom fuel system E85-87 and full Alcohol race fuel daily driven with possible multi-tank fuel system for running different fuels at any time on the fly
  • Planned dual injectors per cylinder
  • many drive train upgrades. Sequential transmition, Carbon fiber drive shaft, larger diff, Possible carbon fiber axles
  • Custom HID headlights with fully programable RGB rings from my company
  • custom fully programable RGB matrix display tail lights for epic custom lightshow
  • Obviously Buckets and harnesses (possible rear seats, not sure yet)
  • Engine compression increase to better run alcohol race fuel (probably 14/1 maybe a bit higher
  • Light weight valve train for even more preformance
  • Carbon fiber valve cover and chain covers
  • electronically adjustable pitch rear wing
  • Epic amounts of AERO! (but thats also part of the carbon fiber body)
  • Possible power stearing delete
  • Possible AC delete
Will add if i come up with more. If anyone has any ideas of things i should do let me know. All input is welcome. CAD model of parts and sketches to come.
Aether tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
MINIz guy

Vehicles

No offense, but it sounds like a pipe dream and a big waste of money. You're going to pour lots of money and time to have a one-off car that isn't very desirable.

2000 M5 -> 1996 318ti -> 1997 328i
Instagram: ndrewchow YouTube: MINIzguy
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
No offense, but it sounds like a pipe dream and a big waste of money. You're going to pour lots of money and time to have a one-off car that isn't very desirable.

^^^^^This

Depends on you though. There are tons of chassis out there, some that are more classic/desirable and would probably work better. For a fraction of the price that you would spend to build that you can buy from a factory a good amount of cars that are already very well put together. Also if your worried about the rear suspension why don't you just start with a regular e36?

Do you have a reason for really wanting to build the compact in this way? The beauty of the ti is the simplicity, practicality and somewhat "fun" performance all for a relatively low price.

That being said if you have the resources (a lot..), and the time (TONS of time), patience, drive, creativity to build a unique compact that you may love, but some may not, and know that you probably won't get a cent back for it. Well then good luck I say! I personally find it fun to see what other people can come up with.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Aether tuning

I believe that the TI is a very desirable chassis. Even older ones sell for pretty high prices considering the age.
As for pipe dream I have already started design and fabrication will begin after Christmas for the tubular frame, carbon fiber body, custom single unit itb, custom headlight and taillights. I could make the vc and chain covers at any time honestly i would just rather do other things first the major engine changes will wait for a little suspension is mostly ready to be built and as for the widebody i just have to get a good body aero/look before i go that rout. Megasquirt may happen after christmas and fuel system will be put in place when i transplant the engine to the new frame. Alcohol fuel will happen after megasquirt and i should probably do the double injectors and raise compression at the same time. So this dream is becoming a reality.
Yes it will take lots of time and a decent amount of money but sense i can fabricate this all myself through my company it gets a lot cheaper.

I also dont plan on getting rid of this car. Half the reason to do all this is so it can last even longer and be better.

Some think I'm crazy for what i want to do, and i am lol but i also come up with things you can only wish were actual products to buy. A current thing we are working on the prototype for is a universal digitally controlled ride height adjustment system that can go on virtually any car. That way you can run your car all nice and low but not have to cry when you see a speed bump or rough road. And then you also dont need to bag it or get special coilovers that do that. And it can be changed on the fly,
Old 11-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Aether tuning

My reasoning is because i want this car to show its full potential. The m42 is held back a lot and i want to show its true power, considering its a spawn of the s42 which is only a 2.2L putting out over 400na so i want to see just how much i can get out of the little car and not be a sheep and swap either an lx or a jz into something. The joy i get is from having a small 4 banger that rapes those engines.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
MINIz guy

Vehicles

I'm pretty sure the S42 BMW used for its race cars got constant rebuilds after every race. Are you expecting to build a motor like an S42 and still have it remain daily drivable and reliable?

2000 M5 -> 1996 318ti -> 1997 328i
Instagram: ndrewchow YouTube: MINIzguy
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Aether tuning

Yes the s42 has to be rebuilt for every 28hours of run time. I want to built a clone. Which doesn't need to be rebuilt, it will only make 300ish hp compared to the real s42. Its the closest you can get without buying a real s42 the biggest difference is the s42 head is different then an m42. Which is almost impossible to replicate.
Pretty sure that s42s also have a redline above 10k

Last edited by Aether tuning; 11-26-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
M-technik-3

Vehicles

If you want an S series engine put S14 in. Early 320is race cars had them in 92 and briefly into 93. But I'm with the others. I hope you have some very deep pockets for what you are suggesting.

If your thinking of spending that much money I do suggest a better investment in say a limited production car...aka E30 M3 or a E28 M5 or an E34 M5.

M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
Aether tuning

Its planned to cost me less then 10k to do that entire list... And honestly simply boosting the m42 and putting the m3 diff on makes it faster thenan m3
Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

It's your car and your money, so you get to do anything you want with them and my opinion counts for zero. :-) (But... that's one crazy "to do" list!)

However... if you DO follow through with this, I expect you to update us... with photos... or I will personally ban you from this site. That's right... "Pix or ban!"

LOL... nah, I'm totally joking about the ban thing. :-D

GOOD LUCK!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:18 AM   #11
Aether tuning

Default Rough single unit itb render

Just a rough render of what my Custom single unit ITB might look like. I still need to get some better dimensions from the engine but to lazy to take my intake off to do so.
If anyone has there intake off and is willing to give me some dimensions let me know!!!

This is just a rough sketch so it may not be the final version. Does not include sensor mounting location nor throttle cable arm
Old 11-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #12
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Might want to consider looking at slide itb's work nicely in compact locations. S14 and Cosworth used them for their DTM engines.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
Aether tuning

Ill have to look them up. Thats just the first thing that popped into my mind. So i drew it,
Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
Aether tuning

Ok, So out of all the ways I can seem to come up with I've come to this conclusion.

Butterfly is the most common and seems to be the most reliable.

Slide seems to be the easiest possible one to make.

But barrel really screams that overkill I'm looking for haha. One really long barrel throttle body. I'm working on a design to see if i really like it or not. Will post render when done
Old 11-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether tuning View Post
Its planned to cost me less then 10k to do that entire list... And honestly simply boosting the m42 and putting the m3 diff on makes it faster thenan m3
That I would like to see, keeping to that budget seems like it will be mighty hard.

Also what do you mean by m3 diff? you mean a e36 m3 diff? Because that won't even bolt onto to the rear - are you talking about the specific ratio that it has of 3.23? Not really sure what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether tuning View Post
Yes the s42 has to be rebuilt for every 28hours of run time. I want to built a clone. Which doesn't need to be rebuilt, it will only make 300ish hp compared to the real s42. Its the closest you can get without buying a real s42 the biggest difference is the s42 head is different then an m42. Which is almost impossible to replicate.
Pretty sure that s42s also have a redline above 10k
I am just putting tired thoughts out of my mind at this time, but as far as i know the s42 made around 300 to start with, not 400, also had a sequential shifter? Also it had 8 injectors vs 4

Also a quote that has some more details that I dug up from a old thread:

"The S42 engine was a 2.0L touring car engine with a 86.5mm bore and around a 85mm stroke, which shared the same block as the street going M42. Unlike the common M42, the S42 had a more sophisticated engine management system, and had individual throttle bodies. The S42 unfortunately did not share the same valvetrain as the M42, and is a solid lifter valvetrain (possibily from the S50Euro) fully capable of over 9000rpm, but was limited to a 8500rpm redline, as dictated by touring car rules. It was mounted upright in the bay, not slanted, and ran on a full dry sump oiling system. The pistons had a static compression ratio of around 12:1, and running on pump gas, the S42 made around 280hp (and up to around 310hp later in it's life). Good luck finding more information on the internet about the S42, it's next to impossible. "

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...&highlight=S42

That also is all talking about crank hp. Here is a completely random idea - if you want 300whp NA and a four cylinder, just use a S2000 trans (for rwd-and its a very good 6spd trans )get a adapter for the k20 and build a K20/K24 hybrid, those can make the power you want and can last for a lot longer then 28hours. 300whp out of those engines has already been done, so if your looking for 300hp or around 280ishwhp, those numbers should be achievable. I think it would be awsome, but of course, a lot will hate, but I don't think you should be worried about that with your build ideas that you already have.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 11-28-2014 at 10:24 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote