318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 956,254 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,691 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #61
BimmerBum

Vehicles

This is an awesome thread...

I have an S50 ti with a rod knock and 2 engines on stands... another S50 and an aluminum M52... decisions!

Seems like the E46 is winning the project battle at this point but I would like to make a track car out of the ti and all the parts I have at some point.

mohaugn- I'm in Florida too, I will be looking at going from autoX to track days in my E46, any advice? Which group do you prefer to run with?

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #62
mohaughn

Aluminum M52 you say??? Hmm... I'm in Maitland, just north of Orlando.

I run with just about all of them. For track time, CHIN motorsports if the best group. If you want to watch some racing, time trial lapping, and get a good amount of track time, NASA is also a good group to run with. Not a lot of crap or "politics" with either one of those groups. NASA only runs PBIR, Sebring and Homestead. Chin runs Sebring, Road Atlanta, Barber, RRR, and other tracks in the northeast.

PBOC Florida is also Sunshine Bimmers. The same people run both groups, and the PBOC races will sometimes be CCA sanctioned. This is a fun group to run with as it is mostly BMW and porsche guys, but the track time in the HPDE groups can suck sometimes. They have a lot of rich racers with more dollars than skill, so their race groups usually run long cutting into the HPDE time. I still enjoy running with this group when I get the chance. They are one of the only clubs that runs a regular event at Daytona. They also run at Barber and VIR.

I also track with Suncoast and Goldcoast PCA at Sebring. I do these more as social events because I have friends that track porsches.

I instruct with all of those groups, and would gladly instruct another Ti driver. Or, if you want to come check out an event, CHIN allows ride alongs for a $20 charge. Bring your helmet and I'd gladly take you out for some hotlaps. That offer stands for any ti.org member.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #63
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Aluminum M52 you say??? Hmm... I'm in Maitland, just north of Orlando.

I run with just about all of them. For track time, CHIN motorsports if the best group. If you want to watch some racing, time trial lapping, and get a good amount of track time, NASA is also a good group to run with. Not a lot of crap or "politics" with either one of those groups. NASA only runs PBIR, Sebring and Homestead. Chin runs Sebring, Road Atlanta, Barber, RRR, and other tracks in the northeast.

PBOC Florida is also Sunshine Bimmers. The same people run both groups, and the PBOC races will sometimes be CCA sanctioned. This is a fun group to run with as it is mostly BMW and porsche guys, but the track time in the HPDE groups can suck sometimes. They have a lot of rich racers with more dollars than skill, so their race groups usually run long cutting into the HPDE time. I still enjoy running with this group when I get the chance. They are one of the only clubs that runs a regular event at Daytona. They also run at Barber and VIR.

I also track with Suncoast and Goldcoast PCA at Sebring. I do these more as social events because I have friends that track porsches.

I instruct with all of those groups, and would gladly instruct another Ti driver. Or, if you want to come check out an event, CHIN allows ride alongs for a $20 charge. Bring your helmet and I'd gladly take you out for some hotlaps. That offer stands for any ti.org member.
This sounds great, when is the next event? I will be there helmet in hand. Very nice of you. I'm trying to get the E46 back together for the November autoX at the Gainesville raceway (working on a custom Porsche/M3 CSL brake set up).

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #64
mohaughn

I'll be at Sebring this Sunday with CHIN motorsports. Doing some events at Homestead and Palm Beach after that in November and December.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #65
318RS

Vehicles
Default Tracktime

I would love for you to be my instructer when I make it down to Sebring, most likely early next year. I just finished a major transformation of my Ti including a DASC install. Experienced my first trackday at Roebing Road the other weekend and once I started pulling G's on the long right hand sweepers it start's choking like it's starved of fuel but pulls strong on the straights. And this is with a full tank of gas. I'm running larger injecters so I don't know if the stock fuel pump is not creating enough pressure? Or maybe I need a second pump?

Have you or anybody else tracking there Ti experienced this?
318RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #66
mohaughn

Not with a full tank of gas, only happens to me with 1/2 tank. However, a second pump feeding into the first pump is a good mod for tracked E36s. Bimmerworld sells a good kit, or you can buy the pumps yourself and do it with fuel lines and plastic Ts.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #67
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I get fuel starvation at 1/2 tank on right hand sweepers.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #68
mohaughn

Had the car weighed at a recent time trials event, 2542 with roughly 12 gallons of fuel, me, and all safety gear. So that makes the car about 2316#, down 30# from my last weigh in, excluding me and my equipment. Might be close to 2240# dry. I'm doing approximate values for fuel differences, so I could be 5-10 pounds off when comparing to my last weigh-in.

Unfortunately, reducing weight without adding some amount of power is not a good way to get classed in NASA TT, so it isn't that competitive. I need to get the car on a dyno and get it re-classed based on hp/weight ratio.

Last edited by mohaughn; 01-20-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #69
DaveKern

Finally got the rally car on the scales yesterday afternoon.

Stripped interior but still functional header/defrost & electric windows
2 seats & harnesses
Rally America/NASA spec roll cage
huge front skid plate (32x50x3/16 6061 aluminum)
S50 engine
Supra rear diff
3/4 of a tank of gas
no spare tire or rally tool kit, so this won't be its competition weight

2646 lbs

Have some changes to ride heights that I need to make, so the F/R split will change slightly as I lower the rear end back down. Need $$ for that Compact Cup body kit to shed some more serious weight. I think I could drop another 75-100 lbs going to the fiberglass body kit & lexan windows.

Dave

Built-by-Bones & SCR Performance
Mishimoto
DaveKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #70
mohaughn

Yikes, and I'm hoping to drop another 150# from my last weigh in. Car is currently putting our 129 rwhp maximum, and to stay in TTE, I can weight in at 2340# with a margin of 2 hp, up to 131rwhp...

Need to get the dual fuel pump figured out for our cars, and then work on some more weight reduction measures. I still have a fully functional defrost and heater setup as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #71
ti3

once I get the new rims tires on, and do a few little things I will go get mine weighed in again. last time it was about 2635, no driver, no passenger seat, s50 swap, etc... but I have done alot since, and am looking to go lighter. It is still a street car though, just having fun with it, trying to figure out ways to get that bit more speed for the same HP. I am also curious to know everyones HP/weight ratios. I haven't dynoed, but my best guess would be about .095hp/lb I am assuming about 250hp (some mods etc. a little more than a stock s50) and 2635(my previous weight) There was a thread I started a long time ago with some other interesting info that J!M posted here:http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31280
Also to do with weight, etc. someone else just started a topic about it wondering how to lighten their load:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...370#post303370
ti3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #72
mohaughn

I should get the car weighed again this weekend. Hoping for 2450 with me in it and 1/2 tank of gas.. Still need to get my dual fuel pump setup done so I can run less gas, and get rid of some of the heater core and related plumbing and the heavy electrical radiator fan. 2340 is the ultimate goal, but not sure I can hit that weight without buying some lightweight body panels and trimming non-essential sheet metal.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #73
ti3

I think I would be quite happy with 2500 without me in it at this point. I still want it to be a road worthy vehicle and something I can drive friends around in once in a while, without them going... WHAT in the HELL!? I am looking for more ways to take it up in the front right now though. I feel like the back is already so light, I don't want to make it really uneven weight distribution, plus the heavier S50 in the front... plus I am thinking about doing the M3 brakes. I haven't purchased a ltw battery yet because of that too, because I don't want to lighten the rear, without compensating in the front a little. Maybe stainless manifold, or flywheel would be enough, or perhaps LTw seats... I am also not looking to spend another grand just for a few lbs though... I already did a number of things, but I think my next step might be the steering pump, and lines... I could probably clean up the harness too, and get rid of my window regs because they are busted anyway lol. any good suggestions? I feel like i must be overlooking something simple. I probably could go in and take out the rest, if any, of the ac stuff, No sunroof, I dunno. but it still feels a little heavy up front. I also need to realize it will probably never handle quite like my Honda Del sol... and I need to get over it, and get used to the feel of the Ti now that I can actually drive it around at ALL! :-D so many things I want to do... ::sigh:: Also, might be loosing my job from layoffs... we'll see about that...
ti3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #74
mohaughn

I think my car handles much better than any del sol I've ever driven. Then again, I think it handles better than most fwd cars that I've driven on track.

It comes down to what you can handle doing without. I'm not sure I would be so concerned about the mythical 50/50 weight distribution. However, it is very easy to take to much weight out of the rears of these cars. LTW battery can definitely make a difference. I'd not change out the OE seats unless you are going to add a harness bar and run the proper type of harnesses for the seats. I'm not a fan of fixed back racing seats using OE seatbelts.

Most of the weight loss is from the interior of the car, sound deadening, and removal of non-essential parts, like AC, etc... However, if it is a street car, I would not remove most of that stuff. The rattles, heat and everything else that comes along with removing it isn't worth it with street driving.

Significant weight loss will also make it very difficult to properly class a Ti in any Auto-X group, so not sure I would do crazy weightloss if auto-x is a primary purpose with the car. If the car is being tracked, you'll get better bang for your buck buying brake pads, tires, and track time/instruction than buying expensive parts to lose weight.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #75
318RS

Vehicles

I'm at 2640 with a full tank and AC blowing cold! It's nose heavy by 200lbs. I need a "real" carbon hood and a rear cage! On the fence as to weather or not to delete the sunroof as I use it often.
318RS is offline   Reply With Quote