318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,124 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,036 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 60,270 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
WhoNew

Default CRAZY M44 Problem

Hello there, I am having an issue with my 96 318/M44.

Okay, it runs and drives absolutely perfect...... until it hits 5000 RPMs. At 5000 RPMs, almost exactly, it feels as if it is hitting a rev limiter. The car just bounces and surges, but will NOT rev above 5000 rpms. I reset the computer, and as long as I drive the car and keep the RPM's below 5000, it is perfect, no check engine light.

If I keep on the gas till 5000 RPMs, and it surges, the Check engine light will come on. (it actually will go off and on as it bounces from 5000 down to about 4500 RPMs). then it's on. I had the codes pulled, and it said it was the Crankshaft position sensor. I reset the computer, drove it nice, and no CEL. so then, I get on a nice long stretch of road, and get it up to 5000 RPMs to see if I can MAKE it get past. Gas pedal to the floor, it just bounced from 5000 to 4500 RPMs for like 30 seconds. This not only threw the CPS light, but codes for the knock sensors too.

So am I too assume that the crank position sensor will cause this ?
I thought if the crank sensor was bad, the car wouldn't even start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks.
WhoNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Bobbak

change the sensor and it will fix the problem

i thought my knock sensors were bad and my car was knocking really bad so i changed the sensors and it still didn't fix the problem but after about 8 months of troubleshooting i found out it was the spark plugs so just change the most obvious things and it will be fixed
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
marko

change both sensors, just in case... not too expensive & even if it does not fix the prob (which it most likely will), you eliminated 2 things that often go bad.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
mohaughn

The 5k redline is a safety feature I'm pretty sure... I know the engine will go into a safe mode and keep you from revving beyond a certain point. It usually does this when you have a bad sensor, like others have mentioned.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
WhoNew

HMMM..... one of my BMW buddys suggested it sounds like a computer induced "limp" or limiter.

I really hope it's not the trigger wheel. OKAY, I'll change the CPS, and see if it fixes the issue.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
WhoNew

okay so more than 3 months later i have the issue figured out

it's the 40 cent o-ring. the PO obviously got the wrong o-ring to fix an oil leak or something. it was the o-ring for the cam sensor which is about 3 times as thick, and does not sit on the recces provided, it held the cps ABOUT 1/4 INCH TOO HIGH so the sensor could not read at higher RPM's hope this helps someone out there !!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

WOW! congrats on figuring that one out. Man, I would have never guessed that would be the problem.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
WhoNew

i talked to the guys at the bmw parts counter when they ordered my crank sensor, after they handed me a cam sensor...... I told them it was the wrong part, and the guy said it happens all the time cuz bmw calls both the cam and crank sensors "pulse generators". he said it's easy to get it wrong in the computer.

That got me thinking about it, and when i removed the original sensor the mounting plate was bent. thought it was just offset original. it wasn't. when I got the new o-ring and sensor, i knew EXACTLY what it was. I wish I would have taken pics, but it is such a huge pain to do, i just wanted to get it done.

I searched and searched, but found nothing, so i hope someone else has a questioning attitude next weird issue they run into. the worst part is it cost me well over a hundred bucks and a few hours in the driveway, and months of aggravation for a .40 cent O-ring. AND i hate when people post an issue and don't follow up on the solution. that pisses me off.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Mallard

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoNew View Post
i talked to the guys at the bmw parts counter when they ordered my crank sensor, after they handed me a cam sensor...... I told them it was the wrong part, and the guy said it happens all the time cuz bmw calls both the cam and crank sensors "pulse generators". he said it's easy to get it wrong in the computer.

That got me thinking about it, and when i removed the original sensor the mounting plate was bent. thought it was just offset original. it wasn't. when I got the new o-ring and sensor, i knew EXACTLY what it was. I wish I would have taken pics, but it is such a huge pain to do, i just wanted to get it done.

I searched and searched, but found nothing, so i hope someone else has a questioning attitude next weird issue they run into. the worst part is it cost me well over a hundred bucks and a few hours in the driveway, and months of aggravation for a .40 cent O-ring. AND i hate when people post an issue and don't follow up on the solution. that pisses me off.
strange really, because BMW dontī"call" anything at all, its ALL done by numbers!

so if the guy gave you the wrong one, its because he didnt know what to look for..

im glad you got it sorted out fella

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
speedracerf4i

My problem is as yours, but my rev limit is only 2K.

I was driving on the freeway yesterday and all of a sudden, I lost power (50%). The engine still runs as if I was driving in neutral. A cell came up in which I found out to be "cylinder 1 misfire".

I was able to slowly drive home at max speed of 40MPH (5th gear) with my emergency blinkers on. There is no hesitation on the engine at all, just feels like there is a long accerelation lag and driving a 20 HP car.

I checked the spark plugs and they are firering OK, though the spark was kind of weak. I am not sure how strong the spark had to be. The engine was idling fine at 800 RPM smoothly even with 1 plug off.

The exhause smelled like unburned gas and from searching, I narrow down to a few culprits.

1. Spark plugs - I checked all 4 and they are firering (pulsating).
2. Plug wires - If the plugs are firering, can the wires still be bad?
3. Ignition coil - I am getting sparks and there is no hesitation on the engine. Can this be bad?
4. ECU - This is an expensive unit with no way to tell if this is good or not right?
5. Fuel injectors - The unburn smell may suggest that it's delivering fuel OK. Will this throw a cell if bad?
6. Cam Position sensor - The engine has no weir vibration though. And I didn't get any cell related to this.

Maybe I am missing something else. Please help!!!
speedracerf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerf4i View Post
My problem is as yours, but my rev limit is only 2K.

I was driving on the freeway yesterday and all of a sudden, I lost power (50%). The engine still runs as if I was driving in neutral. A cell came up in which I found out to be "cylinder 1 misfire".

I was able to slowly drive home at max speed of 40MPH (5th gear) with my emergency blinkers on. There is no hesitation on the engine at all, just feels like there is a long accerelation lag and driving a 20 HP car.

I checked the spark plugs and they are firering OK, though the spark was kind of weak. I am not sure how strong the spark had to be. The engine was idling fine at 800 RPM smoothly even with 1 plug off.

The exhause smelled like unburned gas and from searching, I narrow down to a few culprits.

1. Spark plugs - I checked all 4 and they are firering (pulsating).
2. Plug wires - If the plugs are firering, can the wires still be bad?
3. Ignition coil - I am getting sparks and there is no hesitation on the engine. Can this be bad?
4. ECU - This is an expensive unit with no way to tell if this is good or not right?
5. Fuel injectors - The unburn smell may suggest that it's delivering fuel OK. Will this throw a cell if bad?
6. Cam Position sensor - The engine has no weir vibration though. And I didn't get any cell related to this.

Maybe I am missing something else. Please help!!!
Check your intake boots. The rubber boots that connect your airbox to the rest of the intake system have a tenancy to dry out and crack. Wiggle them around, if they look dry rotted, replace them.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
speedracerf4i

I sprayed a fine mist of water around the intake boot, but there was no disturbance. So I don't think my boot was the culprit.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
jnande4176

water, on your intake boot?! You need to spray brake cleaner all around the boot and listen to the engine. If you are spraying it and you notice that the engine magically begins to run silky smooth or idling a little higher, then you have a cracked intake boot. Also, if your scanner can, check the lambda levels. These will show you your O2 sensor readings in real time.
jnande4176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
speedracerf4i

OK, I'll give it a try.

I have reset the "cylinder 1 misfire" and I'll drive it on my neighborhood streets some more to see if anymore codes would come up.

I have the Bently manual and I will go through all the trouble shooting check list for ignition, and fuel delivery if no cell ever comes up again.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
jnande4176

Sometimes, on cars with individual coils, a cylinder misfire can indicate a faulty coil, or possibly spark-plug. You should check your plug wires. Swap plug wires with another cylinder and see if it throws a code for a mis-fire in the cylinder you swapped the plug wire to, i.e. take plug wire from cylinder 1 and swap it with the wire from cylinder 3. If you get a code for misfire cyl. 3 then you have a bad plug wire.

If you are not firing, the lambda reading will be ridiculously high because it will detect un-burnt fuel in the exhaust. If you have the capability to check it, that would help narrow things down.

Another thing you might want to consider is check the gap on your plugs.
jnande4176 is offline   Reply With Quote