318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #31
needle332rur

Default window rear sliding glide fix

i had the welds break on both my rear window sliders, instead of waiting and buying a new one i drilled the welds out and rivited them back together. then take a thin strong object and flaten the rivits the best you can(were the window has to travel by). the window should pass over the rivits.
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #32
atlanta318ti

Default window fixes

Sounds like everyone has gone through the same trials and tribulation that I faced. After fixing and refixing my driver's window, I finally concluded as stated in an earlier thread that the front channel seems to be the primary culprit. It seems to me that the guide channel isn't engineered properly, so as the window is manuevered up and down, if there is any variance the window may pop out of that track which then causes the bend in the regulator arm closest to that front window track. I didn't go out and buy a new regulator (although I know that I should have). Instead, I was lucky enough that I bent the regulator arm back into place with a small screwdriver using the twist and bend method by inserting it into the nice hole in the regulator arm. I then simply torqued it manually as I positioned the clips into the right position. As stated in the other thread, you really have to make sure that before you do any of this that you've got that window positioned in all the channels properly and you have to watch it all the way through. If it's not perfect it will pop out again and if you just bought a new regulator, it'll be time to buy another or hope the bend/twist method will work. The other key is to squeeze your hands into the door and pop those clips into the track with a pair of pliers. If you try to do it by hand, they won't truly have a good connection and will slide right off after using the window for a while. Now I know the right way to do this is to buy a new regulator, but I'd heard that folks did this and the problem came right back so I thought I'd be patient and tackle it for an hour each weekend to see what the true problem was. Now I'm glad I didn't opt for a new regulator and have it done somewhere, because it's all about the correction/installation. You'll find that you have little room to work in, and that you have to keep everything coordinated as you do the fix. Even a skilled mechanic or body man may think it all in correctly, but may you end up with another bent regulator if anything isn't just right. This could be the window not being fully in the track, not having the "perfect" amount of lithium grease in the window track, clips not completely seated in the track, etc... Now as a precaution, I simply don't let my window go all the way down (I stop at about an inch above the rubber seals), because that tends to be where my window seems to slip out of the front guide. Maybe it's just mine, but I think the front guide should be longer instead of ending where it does. I think that's an engineering problem. On the plus side, I only spent $4 for the clips, and my window works. Good times.
atlanta318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #33
fri3daz3

Thumbs up

I've had the same problem with my 1st TI. And the glass actually broke when I was on the freeway. Good thing I bought this Maintenance Manual CD ROM from this guy off of Ebay, and that helped a lot. I took the panels off and learned that the White Plastic piece which is the roller for the Regulator broke off. So I went to the junk yard got me a new glass and regulator and proceeded with the repair. Took the panels off and installed the new components. There should be a bolt or a nut (cant exactly remember) that has torque stripe that you would use to set the alignment of the window. The manual would tell you this step by step. This is definitely an easy fix, specially if you have the original glass that came with the car. Paying $300 to get this fixed (and knowing that the same problem would occur again) is just not my style. If you guys are in or around the San Diego area I would be more than happy to help. Oh by the way, I'm new here.. nice meeting you people.
fri3daz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:50 PM   #34
TiPerformance

What year of car does everyone have that has expierenced this? I have a 98 and haven't had a problem yet. I have the Air bags in the doors, so I wonder if that helps any.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:53 AM   #35
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I think the general consensus is that the window is just too large for the mechanism. I hear more about the failure in the winter.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #36
ElementalFiend

Alright, its been months and my windows are still broken. Both of them. I've attempted to fix the drivers side but it ended up being a lot more trouble than I anticipated. I can't get the window out of the slide... and I don't know how. Can anyone help me with this? This little problem alone is keeping me from removing the window and giving me the room I need to correct the bent arms and install the new rollers.

If I can't fix this easily, then I am going to give up, but at the same time I'm tired of never being able to roll down my windows. Does anyone know of any alternative besides spending $600? Perhaps installing racing plexiglass snap-on windows? Has anyone done this before?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #37
aceyx

to remove the window, you have to also remove the weatherstripping at the base of the window to get clearance for the aluminum sliders at the bottom edge of the glass. where the door panel clips in to the top edge of the door there are 7 or so little metal clips that need to be bent to pull the rubber part out. i forget how to get the opposite (exterior) side out but it should be apparent when you get there.

after these pieces are out, slide the glass out of the tracks (or just roll the window up and have it done for you) then rock the glass so the back edge lifts first. cotterpins and regulator arms should be detached. you want to bring it out pointy-side up. if you mask a bit of newspaper over the aluminum bits you can worry less about scratching the paint on the way out, as well as spreading around grease.

do you have a haynes/bentley manual?
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 AM   #38
ElementalFiend

No I don't, but I should probably get one.

My problem isn't getting the glass out of the door as much as it is getting the glass out of the sliders, which would then allow me to pull the glass out of the door. It simply will not budge. I've tried as much as hammering on the slider to knock it off, but I'm afraid if I try any harder it will just break the glass.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:28 AM   #39
aceyx

okay, i'm a little confused here.

the arms are attached to the aluminum part of the window frame via little plastic clips. these clips have cotter pins to keep the nubbins on the arms in the clips.

as long as these are out, you can pretty much yank them out. it does take quite a bit of pressure. you can lever something underneath the regulator arm to pop it out of the clip.

if you're talking about removing the two aluminum pieces on the bottom of the window, i wouldn't reccomend it. afaik, they don't come off.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #40
///M318ti

on my car it broke off the rivtes that hold it in place so i drilled out all the rivets and installed socket head cap m screws and my window doesnt pop out any more at all it is really stiff now with the metric bolts with the rivets it flex's a whole lot............. now i just need to do the other side seems like it want to come off track but not yet....... ill do it before summer
Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #41
Panzer_M

my problem is when my window is down, and i shut the door, it bounces out of the front track.

Going up and down isn't a problem but if I shut my door with it down, it's 100% sure to "bounce" out of the front track, hang-up and then fall completely off the regulator arms.
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #42
Panzer_M

BTW, Pass side doesn't have this problem...???? I don't know why?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #43
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
BTW, Pass side doesn't have this problem...???? I don't know why?
You probably don'tuse the passenger side window as much.
The rubber for the window channel came loose on my drivers side but my passenger side window bushings broken first.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #44
///M318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
my problem is when my window is down, and i shut the door, it bounces out of the front track.

Going up and down isn't a problem but if I shut my door with it down, it's 100% sure to "bounce" out of the front track, hang-up and then fall completely off the regulator arms.
that was the exact same problem i had and all i did was put those screws in and i align it right when its down take off your door card and adjust the screw closeset to the door jamb it has a slot to give it more or less it probably got moved and when the window is down it is crooked i had the exact same problem
Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #45
Panzer_M

could you give me a write up on it, with a few more details to it.
I will try this in the garage.

So far I've replace
50 clips
1 window
1 motor(blew out)
and 1 regulator arm when I first got the car
and now the current arm is slightly bent, but I can fix it with some pulling and a C-clamp.

I am at the point of buying a new door assembly from BMW and going to a bodyshop to hopefully fix this problem premently.