318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,013,700 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
new318tifan

Default Another P0340 Code 112 Camshaft Sensor code "signal not plausible"

Replaced the sensor with a OEM sensor bought at BMW. Still getting the same code.

Car runs well otherwise except when it "acts" up. Sometimes in GT1 it registers the occurrence 255 times in a drive cycle that is when it drives the worst when it is better maybe once.

On the old sensor it never triggered the CEL, but did on the new one. Something either the plug or the new bmw sensor is bad enough that it will throw a code.

Haven't checked the ignition coil for resistance on the #1 coil, but also getting a new ECU, and new engine harness just in case.

Going to install the old sensor, clean the plugs, trace, and run resistance test to the DME pin-outs.

Last edited by new318tifan; 10-27-2015 at 08:52 PM.
new318tifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
new318tifan

Well

Got a new ECU

Didn't fix it.

Got a known good ignition coil

Still f'n throwing the code...

Tested all wiring from sensor to DME

passed...

Scheduled for diagnostic at BMW dealership since I bought the part from them and that is the only way for me to get a free sensor replacement under their parts warranty. If BMW can't find a fault on the sensor OR the car. Then I will hate M44's and kill it with fire
Old 11-09-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by new318tifan View Post
Well

Got a new ECU

Didn't fix it.

Got a known good ignition coil

Still f'n throwing the code...

Tested all wiring from sensor to DME

passed...

Scheduled for diagnostic at BMW dealership since I bought the part from them and that is the only way for me to get a free sensor replacement under their parts warranty. If BMW can't find a fault on the sensor OR the car. Then I will hate M44's and kill it with fire
What happened here? did the dealer replace with a new sensor? Just interested for future reference

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
new318tifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
What happened here? did the dealer replace with a new sensor? Just interested for future reference

John S
There is light at the end of the tunnel. They have had the car 3 days, gave me a 2015 328i Xdrive to drive around until Monday. They confirmed the sensor was bad and have already replaced it. The sensor was shorted out and was putting out 12v on the signal wire to the ECU when it should be 5v. It was also not dropping back down to earth (0v) when a piece of metal was ran through the sensor.

They concluded (costing BMW NA) that the new sensor was bad out of the box and replaced it for me. I was surprised they went to this detail and Rich at BMW of Fairfax really knew his stuff.

I did not know their parts warranty went above just swapping the part and giving it to me to replace.

Their policy is to diagnose the car to see if the part is indeed bad. It's a great policy to have when you are 100% sure the fault is on the part you just bought and installed and not something else wrong with the car. Otherwise you are liable to pay for their labor.

Last edited by new318tifan; 11-09-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by new318tifan View Post
There is light at the end of the tunnel. They have had the car 3 days, gave me a 2015 328i Xdrive to drive around until Monday. They confirmed the sensor was bad and have already replaced it. The sensor was shorted out and was putting out 12v on the signal wire to the ECU when it should be 5v. It was also not dropping back down to earth (0v) when a piece of metal was ran through the sensor.

They concluded (costing BMW NA) that the new sensor was bad out of the box and replaced it for me. I was surprised they went to this detail and Rich at BMW of Fairfax really knew his stuff.

I did not know their parts warranty went above just swapping the part and giving it to me to replace.

Their policy is to diagnose the car to see if the part is indeed bad. It's a great policy to have when you are 100% sure the fault is on the part you just bought and installed and not something else wrong with the car. Otherwise you are liable to pay for their labor.
That is killer. My local BMW is so bad I drive 48 miles to a Tampa BMW dealer who is good on the parts prices, I have not got a bad part so I don't know if they will diagnose any parts in the service center, but I'm sure they will not give a loaner car to work on a 1997 car.

Sounds like you really have a great BMW dealer in your area, man they gave you a nice ride to drive while they worked on your car, unheard of in my area.

Thanks for posting the results it helps other board members if they run across the same issue.

Best, John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote