318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > eBay and Craig's list listings

Notices

eBay and Craig's list listings Listings of interest or amusement.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 391,479 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Maverix

Vehicles
Default Bushing Stablizers

Is this a joke, or legit? Am I better off lighting my $40 for heat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...Q5fAccessories
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
bullmand

I bought a set. I haven't put them in yet, but the theory seems sound. It's such a pain to replace the subframe bushings that I thought I'd give this a try. I do think they're a little expensive for what they are. It appears to be PVC electrical conduit that's been shaped with a Dremel or something similar. I'll let you know what I think once I've gotten them on the car.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Maverix

Vehicles

Cool, sounds like a easy install too.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
dave45056

I thought about buying these, but I didn't.
First, they are made of pvc, which isn't very strong.
Second, they look like they go all the way through the rear subframe bushing. However, the bushing has a rubber web in the center.
Third, they dont address the other problem the rear subframe bushing has... they collapse. These don't take up the space between the subframe and the bushing to support them and prevent them from collapsing.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
L84THSKY

I installed them. Not hard, and I think they help. Of course I have made many rear end upgrades, so I can't say exactly how much they help by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverix View Post
Is this a joke, or legit? Am I better off lighting my $40 for heat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...Q5fAccessories

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
bullmand

I don't think I understand what you mean about the bushings collapsing. Can you clarify that for us?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Xenocide

These look like they would stiffen the suspension, but with my *limited* understanding of forces on these suspension components I would say it would wear out the bushing AT LEAST twice as fast.

Personally, I would NOT put this on my car.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
bullmand

Ok. I'll explain why I think these should work and then we can all argue about it The stock bushing is a heavy rubber cylinder with a metal shaft down the middle. There are voids in the cylinder and that's what allows the subframe to move around a bit. The rubber gets old and soft and I suppose under extreme cases could tear around the voids. These little plastic things fill the voids. That would seem to me to decrease the amount that the rubber could flex in a given direction which would increase the perceived stiffness of the bushing. It's possible that there may be a little abrasion on the bushing from these tabs, but as their purpose is to eliminate flex in the bushing, it shouldn't be moving much and that should minimize any impact on the bushing by the tabs. That all makes sense to me and I don't see how any harm could come from it. I'm going to be putting them in bushings that are 11 years old and have 112,000 miles on them. I don't think I could hurt them much at this point. If it were easier to change the bushings I would go ahead and do that, but even if these things don't appear to do anything or change the handling in a way I'm not happy with I can pop them right out again. I think the risk is minimal.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
L84THSKY

People are over analyzing this simple device. It won't do anything for downward force, there is a solid metal body in the bushing. These inserts will reduce the swaying front to back, and side to side.

If people are scared to put these in, then go ahead and swap the whole bushing; that ought to be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
Ok. I'll explain why I think these should work and then we can all argue about it The stock bushing is a heavy rubber cylinder with a metal shaft down the middle. There are voids in the cylinder and that's what allows the subframe to move around a bit. The rubber gets old and soft and I suppose under extreme cases could tear around the voids. These little plastic things fill the voids. That would seem to me to decrease the amount that the rubber could flex in a given direction which would increase the perceived stiffness of the bushing. It's possible that there may be a little abrasion on the bushing from these tabs, but as their purpose is to eliminate flex in the bushing, it shouldn't be moving much and that should minimize any impact on the bushing by the tabs. That all makes sense to me and I don't see how any harm could come from it. I'm going to be putting them in bushings that are 11 years old and have 112,000 miles on them. I don't think I could hurt them much at this point. If it were easier to change the bushings I would go ahead and do that, but even if these things don't appear to do anything or change the handling in a way I'm not happy with I can pop them right out again. I think the risk is minimal.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
lpcapital

Some folkes installed them on the Z3 but somebody removed the bottom plate after some time and found them broken.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
bullmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
People are over analyzing this simple device. It won't do anything for downward force, there is a solid metal body in the bushing. These inserts will reduce the swaying front to back, and side to side.
After reading my post again I realized I should have been more clear about that. There shouldn't be any vertical movement of that bushing, it's all lateral.

And I can totally see the possibility of these things breaking. I hadn't thought of it before, but the type of plastic they're made from seems relatively brittle. I would suspect it would necessitate a good bit of track time or completely shot bushings to actually break them. Something to think about and monitor, assuming I ever get off my ass and put them in there.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
spidertri

Vehicles

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just wanted to say that I installed these over the past weekend and I am very happy with the results.

My bushings are obviously shot and need to be completely replaced but I figured these stabilizers would hold me over until the summer when I get a chance to stick some IE bushings in there.

My biggest problem with my subframe bushings was that the car felt squirrelly on the highway and did not feel planted at those speeds. Also, since getting new suspension I could tell there was more movement in the rear than what I wanted.

I bought these stabilizers for $30 shipped and figured it couldn't make things any worse back there. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Car is very controlled through turns now and very stable on the highway. I found myself going faster than I usually do without noticing it.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #13
318ti_dad

Default Where to buy

where did you buy the stabilizers? Would like to try a set on my 95ti

Thanks

318ti_dad
318ti_dad is offline   Reply With Quote