318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 102,509 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 65,539 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 62,768 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #181
tiFreak

Vehicles

12 page thread and your just starting now, you're worse than Jess

awesome to hear this is finally underway, should be pretty awesome when it's all done
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #182
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Meeting with Luis today at my house to check out his car. Looks like the project will start soon
Be careful John, his car might inspire you to get a ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
12 page thread and your just starting now, you're worse than Jess...
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #183
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Great news. His motor is in exellent condition with leak-down around 3% or less on 2,3,4 and 1 at 5% but number 1 might be a off reading due to a valve cover oil leak and possible leak on the tester. I'm confident his motor is ready for the turbo. The engine bay is clean and car is too which I like.

I rode in his TI and it drives good. Luis seems like a good guy also and I know we will work well together on this project. All parts are at my house so i can ensure we have everything and are ready to do a quick install over a 4 day period.

I'm thinking I will take the security camera that has full view of the work area and live link it so you all can check in and watch the install if you want.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #184
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
I'm thinking I will take the security camera that has full view of the work area and live link it so you all can check in and watch the install if you want.
DO THIS!!!!

EDIT...

For bonus points, make a time lapse video of the whole thing! And video clips of any tricky parts of the install!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #185
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
DO THIS!!!!

EDIT...

For bonus points, make a time lapse video of the whole thing! And video clips of any tricky parts of the install!
We will do this with live video but I have a question without a search...

Can we pull the oil pan off a 1996 TI without removing the motor. This is important to ensure we can get this done in 4 days since we need a way to return oil from the turbo. Drilling the oil pan if it is not off is unacceptable for me so I want to know if we can get it off from under the car to save time. again I did no search on this...

I'm asking the forum with no search so please work with me.

This one item would delay our install by days since we would need to remove the motor

Thanks, john S
Old 07-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #186
yoda

Vehicles

My hat is off to John for doing this!... We met and got to the leak down test and the car was good to go!
I hope there's a way of getting that oil pan off without taking the engine out, I know that for sure there's a bunch of the front end that would have to come out...

I also saw some of John's runs on video with wheel spin all the way through the gears...crazy
Can't wait to get this project started!

John, thanks again for this!

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #187
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Hey l think I will need you to drive over here one more time. The reason is for exhaust fitment. If we get it up in the air i can measure everything and then get all sweg and reducing welding done on the stainless down pipe but the final MIG welds which we can do here so we don't need to take it too a muffer shop during the 4 day install. This will ensure we don't have issues with exhaust over a weekend during the install since all exahust pieces will match and can be welded at my house.

Let me know if this is ok and if so when you want to make the trip again. also we could take all intercooler pipe and place it so we know we have enough pipe and all the cuts plus check to ensure we have all boots for the install. I know we need a 2" to 2.5" (turbo to intercooler pipe) and a 2.5" to 3" (Intercooler to MAF) for this install which we don't currently have. I need a reducer pipe for my boost leak so i will pick these up when I go get my boot that is leaking

PS ~ Injectors adapters and injectors when you are ready

Best, John S

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 07-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #188
yoda

Vehicles

Not sure I'll be able to do it this weekend before I head to the academy, but I have to see if I have to work all week, cause if i have friday off I can head down then.
I'll let you know.

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #189
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Can we pull the oil pan off a 1996 TI without removing the motor.
Front of the ti is the same as your coupe, I'm pretty sure you'll need to at least lift the motor to get the oil pan off. I've also read that it's possible to slide the oil pan out if the transmission is off.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #190
minicoop900

pan will come off if you unbolt the motor mounts and lift it up, pull it out towards the front and your gonna have to wiggle around/maneuver it alot, when your going to put the pan back the easiest way to get the gasket up there is to take some really thin mechanics wire and tie it through the corner bolt holes, start a few bolts loose then just pull the wire out

^being rebuilt^

until then:
daily car:
96' Blue DASC'd ti with koni coilovers
slowly progressing...
weekend car:
85 1/2' 944 Porsche
no a/c, p/s, gutted cat, loud as hell exhaust, loud as hell sound system
minicoop900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #191
pdxmotorhead

Use 3m trim adhesive put a small bead around 1 side of the gasket. Its like a slow dry contact cement as long as you dont let it pre-dry too long. YOu can place the gasket then the oil pan. Use permatex on the bottom side, WARNING once this is all dry its a MF to remove.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #192
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quick question:

Can the center frame be removed, steering rack un-bolted and lowered then we would have total access to the pan?

On my car the center cross member is bolted in and looks like it can be removed easy and the rack is easy to un-bolt too.

Just a question?

Thanks, John S
Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #193
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Not sure I'll be able to do it this weekend before I head to the academy, but I have to see if I have to work all week, cause if i have friday off I can head down then.
I'll let you know.

No problem I have more boats coming in for work so I will be busy anyways
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #194
minicoop900

Quote:
Quick question:

Can the center frame be removed, steering rack un-bolted and lowered then we would have total access to the pan?

On my car the center cross member is bolted in and looks like it can be removed easy and the rack is easy to un-bolt too.

Just a question?

Thanks, John S

not sure, never tried it this way but it might cause alignment issues

^being rebuilt^

until then:
daily car:
96' Blue DASC'd ti with koni coilovers
slowly progressing...
weekend car:
85 1/2' 944 Porsche
no a/c, p/s, gutted cat, loud as hell exhaust, loud as hell sound system
minicoop900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #195
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicoop900 View Post
not sure, never tried it this way but it might cause alignment issues
Man if it would work I would pay for the allignmant just to keep from having to pull the motor or have a hard time installing the pan...

Anyone else know if this is a good way to pull the pan?

Thanks everyone, John S