318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,010,303 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
monk

Default Engine will not start -- where do I start?

I was driving my car today. Parked it; then came out to start it. Radio playing, windows worked, key was even beeping. However, when I turned the key over there was nothing. Turned everything off and all I heard was a faint click but still no turn over. I happened in my driveway so I put the charger on for a few hours thinking the battery might be low but still nothing.

I checked the fuses under the hood but did not see any thing called ignition or that seemed to be blown. Now I do not even know where to start looking for the trouble.

Again, the power seems to be working but it is not turning over the starter or engine. Any ideas of where to start would be most welcome as I can't move the thing from my driveway.

Thanks David...

PS Not sure this is related but several days ago the ability to put the windows up or down when you just turn the key off stopped working. Thus, I needed to turn the key on to put the windows up and down. Might not be related but wanted to give as much information as possible.
monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
dave45056

What year is your car? Is it an Auto or 5 speed?

I'm leaning toward fuses. Try taking each one out one at a time and looking at it carefully to see if it's blown. Even if you don't find a blown fuse, try starting it again as re-seating can make a difference.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
monk

The car is a 1995 and 5 speed. I checked the fuses again over the weekend but nothing seemed to be blown. Is there another fuse that I might be missing in a spot I do not know about? I was out of town for most of the weekend so I am planning on trying to track this issue down in the next day.

Thanks for any ideas to help me out.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Bluebimma

Roll start it. If it runs, then its probably just the battery. If you get a click from the ignition and a click from the starter, theres just not even power to use it. All other electronics can be ran on a low battery, just not for long, but ignition use requires a lot more amps and demand of the battery. Have you tried jump starting it? Have you tried another battery? Has yours been tested? Any random spinning of the starter when you try to start the car? Have you checked the ground to the battery? Have you checked the main ground from the engine passenger arm to the underside of the chassis?

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
Have you checked the main ground from the engine passenger arm to the underside of the chassis?
I second this.

It may have been weak, and the last ride shook it apart... '95 is a pretty old car now, particularly if it was driven in salty winters and not washed in the engine compartment a lot...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
monk

Can someone tell me where the main ground from the engine passenger arm to the underside of the chassis is located? I see the connection from the battery to the battery case and then from the battery case moving to a wire harness but I can not see where that heads and where it connects to the body...

What I have confirmed so far is that I do have power going to the solenoid when the key is fully turned. I also confirmed that there is power full time to the top bolt on the starter. I have not been able to verify that power gets to the other bolt on the starter when the key is turned nor have I been able to jump the two starter bolts to see if the starter works... I have been trying to figure a way to do it when I am not under the car... but no luck yet. However, the wire on the second bold does look raw and like it has some corrosion.

I also tried to push start the car but could not get it started nor did it seem like it wanted to start. That just may because I am doing it on a gravel drive and it is not getting good traction.

As said before, it seems that everything else is working. Have tried to use the full power of the charger to start the car but still nothing at the starter... no turn over at all.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
monk

Default Think I found the problem

Well, while checking the starter the braided copper wire that goes into the starter came off when I tried to wiggle it with my finger. I guess that must be my problem.

Thus I need to either get a new starter or have the one I have rebuilt. Has anyone replaced the starter on the 318 ti and is there a good way to do it? I have replaced many starters on chevys but they were low and easy to get to. This one seems to be in the middle of everything and could have several ways to attack. Hoping to learn something from someone that has done it before...

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

Good job!

But, I still suggest that main ground lead (from right side engine mount bracket to the frame) as they do tend to fail with age...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
Bluebimma

I get to them from below.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote