318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,014,519 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #76
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
I will be happy with 400rwhp. The next big issue is going to be how to put it down on the pavement. This car is pretty light...
Funny you should mention that. I was wondering the same thing as I was driving home in the rain last night, and contemplating how to spend my future lottery winnings. I hydroplaned a few times and realized it would have been worse if I had the wider rear tires that would be needed if I had a lot more horsepower.

There is finite space for wider tires (yes, you can go wide body but there's still a limit), and there are also trade-offs to be considered, e.g. increased hydroplaning, tramlining, etc.

What are your thoughts on how to most effectively put the power on the pavement in our relatively light cars?

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #77
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
Funny you should mention that. I was wondering the same thing as I was driving home in the rain last night, and contemplating how to spend my future lottery winnings. I hydroplaned a few times and realized it would have been worse if I had the wider rear tires that would be needed if I had a lot more horsepower.

There is finite space for wider tires (yes, you can go wide body but there's still a limit), and there are also trade-offs to be considered, e.g. increased hydroplaning, tramlining, etc.

What are your thoughts on how to most effectively put the power on the pavement in our relatively light cars?
I don't think I will go wide body. I think I will just deal with it on the public streets and keep it calm. It the drag track I will run drag radials or slicks....I Have all 328 drive line parts except the clutch is good for about 500hp. I bet it will break parts on slicks
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #78
xxxJohnBoyxxx

More work completed. Getting ready to go mow 4 lawns on my rental houses so I'm stopping here:

M3 head bolts cut down so I could torq them to 68 psi without them bottoming out

Changing one bolt at a time in spiral pattern...torq to 62, then go back through and torq all to 68 psi in spiral pattern

Turbo mounted. Will start turbo oil feed lines after I mow the yards

Old 07-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #79
tiFreak

Vehicles

it's coming along nicely, glad to see you're not wasting any time cleaning your yard up, you need priorities
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #80
b.u.ti-ful

Oh, it goes way down there?

I don't anything about turbochargers, but this is a very good thread for spectators.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #81
spidertri

Vehicles

Looking good John, keep it up! On a side note, I have that exact same torque wrench...works well.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #82
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Back at it and ran into an issue. Turbo oil return is too low so I just ordered an oil scavenger pump....Problem solved. Also no need to pull the oil pan now...I will dump the turbo oil at the valve cover after checking with Metric (Don't know if this will cause an issue with hot oil heating up the valve-train on it's way down to the oil pan? maybe throw in a oil cooler)

More Pictures:

Oil feed tapped off oil pressure sender

Oil return below oil level in pan

Picture 2 oil return too low

Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #83
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Oil feed completed, Waste gate installed, Down pipe installed

Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #84
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Ohhh, you're doing a bottom mount! Have you measured clearnce, meaning is the turbo going to clear the chassis? What about the motor mount? It looks really close. My s52 motor mount has a shield to deflect some of the heat from the headers. You may want to consider it. I might have a spare laying around in my garage if you want it.

Edit; NM, just noticed the hot end of the turbo is far enough away from the MM. Perhaps you could make a fiberglass sleeve to wrap around the exhaust side of the turbo. BTW, I have plenty of fiberglass header wrap and stainless steel zip ties left over from when I wrapped my headers. I could put together a kit for you if you'd like.

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-06-2009 at 03:18 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #85
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Ohhh, you're doing a bottom mount! Have you measured clearnce, meaning is the turbo going to clear the chassis? What about the motor mount? It looks really close. My s52 motor mount has a shield to deflect some of the heat from the headers. You may want to consider it. I might have a spare laying around in my garage if you want it.

Edit; NM, just noticed the hot end of the turbo is far enough away from the MM. Perhaps you could make a fiberglass sleeve to wrap around the exhaust side of the turbo. BTW, I have plenty of fiberglass header wrap and stainless steel zip ties left over from when I wrapped my headers. I could put together a kit for you if you'd like.
Thanks but I already wrapped them. I also have a turbo blanket and the heat shields you are talking about. I appreaciate the offer.

I double checked all clearences and held each pipe in it's respective place before removing the motor. I'm not dumb enough to dive right in cutting and modding for a turbo if it won't even fit. I even figured out a way to keep the A/C compressor so I'll have air. Yes it is a tight fit but everything fit perfect. The turbo has 1/4" from the turbine housing to the engine block and there is decent room on the frame rail side.

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 07-06-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #86
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Wrapped the exhaust header, I have a turbo blanket that will be here in 4 days and I have about 50 foot of fibreglass left over to complete the down-pipe and wastegate dump...

Header wrapped to reduce under hood heat

Header back side

Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #87
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

^^^NICE! Keep it up, you'll be up and runnin in no time!
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #88
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Intercooler today. Worked most of the day so I'm going to work late on the car and install the intercooler. Making mounting brackets out of aluminum stock, already attached fans...

High flow fans mounted

Bumper & Front bumper cover off ready to IC make brackets. Post more pictures as I get things rolling tonight

Helper Croix

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #89
tiFreak

Vehicles

that's not proper work attire
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #90
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Intercooler brackets

BIG Intercooler mounted. It was a tight fit but nothing is rubbing. Intercooler off-set was to clear A/C lines so they could be left undisturbed...

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 07-08-2009 at 05:14 AM.