318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,009,522 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Fivecats

Default Need some catalytic converter advice

Hi all,

First post to a forum ever. We just bought my daughter a '98 ti, and it has the typical catalytic converter insufficiency CEL on. I have a friend that is a BMW mechanic, and we know how to reset the engine light every year and drive it just enough to get an inspection sticker, but the car is a bit stinky (even though it passed a check at the tailpipe just for grins) and I think it would be best for the environment to just replace the cat (the oxygen sensors have already been replaced to no avail). I know I can't just buy any aftermarket cat, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 50 state cat from Bavarian Autosport working? Its about 600 bucks and they warranty it, so it seems pretty good. Any other possibilities or suggestions? I'm not cheap, but her college is a lot, and an OEM cat seems really high...

Go easy on me here if I missed a FAQ or something, I'm new

Thanks
Amy
Fivecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
bmvw

The aftermarket cats will work, but will not last as long as a factory cat. The real cheapies will only last long enough to get through this year's inspection but at least you did not spend $1800. The only other option is to source a used cat and install it yourself, in most states a shop cannot install a used cat.
bmvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
macilona

Vehicles

hello Amy-----i had the 49 state cat from bavauto on my car (1996)-----lasted about 16-17000 miles. price is about $350, so i thought it was a decent value. good luck, mac
macilona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
pdxmotorhead

I've had good luck with Random Technology Cats, they are 100% metal matrix and my Jeep has 90K on it and its a built motor that runs mega rich at wide open throttle... It used ot go through a factory cat every 20K .... They cost about 200 bucks.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivecats View Post
Hi all,
I have a friend that is a BMW mechanic, and we know how to reset the engine light every year and drive it just enough to get an inspection sticker
Your friend is wrong. They will know that the CEL was recently reset. There is some sort of readiness test that their equipment will read.

I've heard success with cats from Magnaflow <I think>.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
drivinfaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
Your friend is wrong. They will know that the CEL was recently reset. There is some sort of readiness test that their equipment will read.

I've heard success with cats from Magnaflow <I think>.
+1 on the readiness monitors.

if the cat is 'stinky' as in smells like rotten eggs, then it isn't dead (yet), but soon will be. there is an underlying issue at hand that is working the cat too hard.

*that* is the factor that i have seen kill so many "aftermarket cats" versus the factory is built 'better' argument.

it has been my own experience in emissions repair that shops that 'throw a cat' at a car to clean it up for emissions readings *without* verification of how the rest of the vehicle is running will undoubtedly shorten the life of *any* cat installed, regardless of where it is from.

magnaflow are awesome. as are a great many of them. why?? they all do the same thing the same way with the same materials. obviously the larger the motor the larger the cat will need to be, but think about it....how does a cat work??

it's all chemical reaction via interaction of combined chemicals when exposed to heat. the old days when cars were carburated and had cats, there were dozens of stories where they'd be 'glowing' because they were bad, or catch leaves on fire, and stuff like that.

nah, they were glowing because they were workin their selves to death trying to reduce all of the hc and co due to a poor running condition.

one of my instructors was a complete nut. great instructor. just absolutely *nuts*!!

we were being introduced to a new brand of cat (not important who, never got the name, anyway...). hooked it up to the car, proper application, fit was decent, and away we went. got up to temp, the cat was lit, and the instructor stated ok. now, class, we are going to see what it takes to kill a new cat!!. and we proceeded to kill the coil to one of the cylinders (cop design, simple to unplug...) while @ idle. then @ 1100rpm. the hc *didn't even budge*. i think we killed 3 cylinders and held the rpm close to 2k before the hc was going into the 'outer limits' zone. co was rising by this point as well.

of course the mil was on and we had *all* sorts of misfire and coil malfunction codes, but we ran this test for almost an hour with the gas analyzer sniffing the whole time. that right there taught me an awful lot on what fuel trim, freeze frame data, gas readings, and temperature have to do with regards to emissions and finding the cause of the issue.

apparently this cat mfr claimed that their designs could handle about a 25% misfire rate and still pass. according to the testing we did, i would believe this.

it still doesn't mean that throwing a cat at a vehicle failing emissions standards to get a barely passing reading is a 'correct' fix. you just rented some additional time to sort out the root cause of the real issue.

as far as fit and fitment, oe tends to be better for most applications depending upon the maker of the part and whoever loaded to truck that day...i've seen brand new oe replacement parts bent due to impropper shipping (after it was installed and test driven).

had a lot of fun in that shop...

df
drivinfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
BlackBMWs

Vehicles

Cheap cats: Just a note. When I picked up my 95 ti, it was failing as a gross polluter here in Cali. I picked up a Magnaflow 36004 universal CARB compliant cat here in Cali and it passed very cleanly. This is a OBD I so, it didn't throw any check lights. Total cost to me $200 and a tri-tip sandwich for my exhaust dude. I'm hoping it lasts for two inspections. (Two years) If it lasts that long, I'll be happy as it would be $200 for four years of service.

On this last Wednesday, I just had another one done for my 91 318ic. $180 plus a large Pepsi.

1998 318ti Sport - "Cali" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, Cali top
1998 318ti Sport - "Max" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, S52
1997 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior
1995 318ti Active - "Blanca" Alpineweib III/Schwartz leather interior

Other Current Bimmers: 2006 530i / 2000 2.3L Z3 / 1997 1.9L Z3 / 1999 540it

1997 318ti Sport - "Huera" - RIP
1995 318ti Active - RIP
1995 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Sold
1994 325i Sedan - "Jade" - Sold
1991 318ic - "Bert" - Sold
1985 635csi sold
1984 533i "Max" Sold
1984 318i sold

BMWCCA #160411

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
BlackBMWs is offline   Reply With Quote