318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 961,940 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,887 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
QuickSpool

Default M3 front / Z3M M coupe rear questions

Looking to do the full revamp on the suspension and I have a couple questions before buying everything.

I plan to do the M3 front suspension and brake swap with the Z3M / M Coupe rear subframe/suspension/brake swap.

1. I want to get coilovers will standard 318ti ones work?

2. What are upgrade options to the OEM parts? Better sways? Better control arms? Bushing preferences? Skip the OEM brakes, aftermarket options better?

3. While I am at I am planning on the steering rack. Z3M the best option for our cars?

4. People that have done this swap any tips?
QuickSpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSpool View Post
Looking to do the full revamp on the suspension and I have a couple questions before buying everything. I plan to do the M3 front suspension and brake swap with the Z3M / M Coupe rear subframe/suspension/brake swap.

1. I want to get coilovers will standard 318ti ones work?

Physicall fitmet is about same, but you have to think about if your going to use the M style sway bar which mounts onto the strut instead of the LCA, the m3 mounting on strut is more effective, more thought would probably need to go to spring rates, will u be having a 6pot up front or the m44? that will effect spring rates - BC Racing is a good budget choice - read some reviews- or GroundControl is good, KW, GAZ - sponsor of Compact Cup in UK etc etc

2. What are upgrade options to the OEM parts? Better sways? Better control arms? Bushing preferences? Skip the OEM brakes, aftermarket options better?

Subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings - companies like ireland engineering, powerflex bushings, bavauto, turner motorsport etc, oem z3m brakes with a good set of pads and SS lines, super blue brake fluid, will give you better then just BBK for the front its well balanced and unless you are doing crazy track stuff you probably won't need more. for sway bars - you could also use stock sway bar and mount onto the strut for stiffer front sway bar (since the ti one is mounted on LCA it is not as effective and larger then the more effective but smaller z3m m3 oem front bar) - rear z3m is 19mm if i recall correctly, so that's a good upgrade - you can try searching for other people's setup but stock z3m sways and good coilovers will be very good already

3. While I am at I am planning on the steering rack. Z3M the best option for our cars?

simplest one to look for is NON-M z3 steering rack, z3m steering rack is the same ratio as standard e36

4. People that have done this swap any tips?
I had a z3m parted out that I was going to use parts off but ending up having to sell everything - oh and check the length of the rear brake lines to make sure they mate up, and remember you probably need to run 17" wheels to clear the z3m calipers - a few 16" wheels will fit like one piece style 5 or BBS mesh wheels that are 16x8 et 20 - but count on goin 17" other then that.
Good luck!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
e30polak

Also, the M Coupe rear will limit your overall wheel availability. The M Coupe trailing arms and hubs push the offset of the rear wheels out roughly 20mm IIRC. Considering that the Ti has much narrower rear fenders, you will be limited to an 8.5 DS2 or Contour wheel out back, or something with similar specs.
e30polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
anassa

Vehicles

Thats a good point to make e30polak, (same e30polak from r3v??) though what you are thinking about is the regular z3 6cyl trailing arms, those are the ones that stick out, z3m length and 4cyl z3 length should be same as regular ti length.

Even more important:
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
e30polak

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
Thats a good point to make e30polak, (same e30polak from r3v??) though what you are thinking about is the regular z3 6cyl trailing arms, those are the ones that stick out, z3m length and 4cyl z3 length should be same as regular ti length.
Sorry, length may be the same, but offsets are much lower on the M-Coupe rear suspension, which effectively sits wheels further outward on the narrower Ti.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
anassa

Vehicles

Now you got me confused, if the z3m trailing arm length is same as the ti's how will that effect tire space? Offset I am thinking of is reletive to the wheel?? You can't compare z3m wheel size to ti because of the flared fenders - is that what you mean? Just not sure by what you mean with offset

Even more important:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
e30polak

Quote:
Now you got me confused, if the z3m trailing arm length is same as the ti's how will that effect tire space? Offset I am thinking of is reletive to the wheel?? You can't compare z3m wheel size to ti because of the flared fenders - is that what you mean? Just not sure by what you mean with offset
The axles and wheels hubs have a lower offset then the Ti does, which effectively pushes the same wheel on a Ti further out towards the rear fender when an M-Coupe rear suspension is installed on a Ti. This is the same in the e30 world for a Ti rear suspension vs. M-Coupe.

The hub offset effects the where the wheel sits inside the wheel well.

Last edited by e30polak; 01-31-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
The axles and wheels hubs have a lower offset then the Ti does, which effectively pushes the same wheel on a Ti further out towards the rear fender when an M-Coupe rear suspension is installed on a Ti. This is the same in the e30 world for a Ti rear suspension vs. M-Coupe.

The hub offset effects the where the wheel sits inside the wheel well.

Kinda makes sense but I am still having a hard time imagineing it, I will check it more when I get home.

I am just thinking if the z3m trailing arms are basically same dimentions as the ti (what I ment by length) with larger bearings/calipers/rotors and braced, how would that effect the offset of the wheel?

Oh wait... you mean the hub that is attached to the trailing arm sits out further thus lowering offset?

Even more important:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
The axles and wheels hubs have a lower offset then the Ti does
= laymans term longer? if so it makes sense, but I think the offset change wouldn't be 20mm though that sounds more like 6cyl z3 offset change, it shouldn't be as drastic.

At least on the TI - since subframe for ti/z3/z3m are the same

Even more important:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
e30polak

Quote:
= laymans term longer? if so it makes sense, but I think the offset change wouldn't be 20mm though that sounds more like 6cyl z3 offset change, it shouldn't be as drastic.

At least on the TI - since subframe for ti/z3/z3m are the same
I will be verifying next week on my buddy's Tis. One has M Coupe rear, the other has stock Z3. Same wheels on both cars, and we'll see.

It would be awesome if that's not the case, as I have an M Coupe rear I can use for my newly acquired Ti.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
I will be verifying next week on my buddy's Tis. One has M Coupe rear, the other has stock Z3. Same wheels on both cars, and we'll see.

It would be awesome if that's not the case, as I have an M Coupe rear I can use for my newly acquired Ti.
Eh? stock z3 rear on ti ? Interesting, I don't really see the reason there other then less wheel room if it came from a 6cyl z3. I know for a fact that 6cyl z3 trailing arms will push out the wheels compared to stock ti.

Let us know what you find though! And maybe shoot some pictures, pics are always good .

The m coupe rear is a good thing for the ti (and probably the hardest to find - HOW DID YOU FIND IT?!)

I wish i had been able to keep the m roadster rear with front and engine - would of been amazing in the ti - situation didn't allow it though

Post up on your new ti when you get a chance - and if you have sorry for missing it!

Even more important:
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
e30polak

Quote:
Eh? stock z3 rear on ti ? Interesting, I don't really see the reason there other then less wheel room if it came from a 6cyl z3. I know for a fact that 6cyl z3 trailing arms will push out the wheels compared to stock ti.

Let us know what you find though! And maybe shoot some pictures, pics are always good .

The m coupe rear is a good thing for the ti (and probably the hardest to find - HOW DID YOU FIND IT?!)

I wish i had been able to keep the m roadster rear with front and engine - would of been amazing in the ti - situation didn't allow it though

Post up on your new ti when you get a chance - and if you have sorry for missing it!
Sorry stock Ti! Not stock Z3.

And I'll post it soon, Imola Red 333ti.

Here's a couple teaser pics from when it was painted

Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #13
anassa

Vehicles

looking good! btw 333ti? not 330ti/332ti? Looking forward to more info!

Even more important:

Last edited by anassa; 02-02-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #14
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:

Well ??

Any news on the z3m vs ti rear ?

Even more important:
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 AM   #15
Breticus

Sorry to thread jack, but my question about the z3m/m coupe rear ends are...

1. Is one or the other heavier from each other? M coupe vs roadster
2. Does the difference in weight affect how the car performs in corners?
3. About how much is it to get just the main parts you need to get the m rear brakes working?

If it's over a thousand I might as well just buy this?
http://www.massivebrakes.com/brake-s...318ti_rear_310
Breticus is offline   Reply With Quote