318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 333,282 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #31
Kaliimc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
You can't rule out an O2 sensor just because the car has low mileage. You will burn out an O2 sensor much quicker by just doing short trips that never really allow the O2 sensor and the rest of the car to get up to temp. With that low of mileage on that age of a car if it has the original O2 sensors I would definitely replace them. The recommended replacement mileage assumes that the car is allowed to get up to temp which allows the O2 sensor to work properly.

This is not as much of an issue on newer cars that have a heating element inside of the O2 sensor.
Thanks for the input. Definitely not rulling out the o2 sensors, just not jumping to conclusions when I have to budget for them, (I am married...).

In fact, I was thinking of replacing a few of the sensors in the engine bay here and there in the near future.

We want our daughter to attend Punahou School (same as Obama) when she is old enough so I want this car to last for a long time. I won't be able to afford another car if she is selected!
Kaliimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #32
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Another thing to look into that might prove helpful later down the road is a top side oil changer. I don't have one yet, but I'll probably end up getting one before my next oil change. Here's a thread with information about topside oil changers:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14051
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #33
feelstyl

hehe.... you'll never get the same a s the 320 or 325 or any other bmw but who REALLY need 200, 300 hp ? no one !
feelstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #34
Kaliimc

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelstyl View Post
but who REALLY need 200, 300 hp ? no one !
WHAT!?!!!

I love my 540! It has about 336 hp with all the Dinan on it, never dynoed it though. But, you're right, Where can the car exercise its power? The difference in power between the 540 and 318ti is night and day but in the end, I still get to work in the same amount of time.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #35
feelstyl

your car 's wheigh is very high !
feelstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #36
cossieturbo

Hey mate. I wanted to address one thing. You mentioned smelling gasoline in the car. Well you were not imagining this. Behind the interior back seat, passenger side, side panel, under the side window is an array of vapor hoses and a pressure chamber. These start to leak vapor into the interior. A very common issue on 318ti's based mostly on year not mileage. I will be changing everything in there as I can not figure out where it is coming form specifically. All the best.

cossieturbo
cossieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #37
Kaliimc

^^^

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely check that area real soon.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #38
Kaliimc

Hey everyone I just wanted to add that my little car is now doing much better in the mpg department. I think it was mostly due to how it was treated/handled before my purchasing it. The car now has about 280 miles on this tank and it still has a little while to go before the 1/4 tank mark. This is a considerable improvement over the last tank of gas where I had to fill up again at 220 miles.

Thanks for all of the help on this "hijacked" thread and all the others that I've been reading for the past month!