318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,848 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,722 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,084 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-04-2004, 07:17 PM   #1
jigg60

Default Bike Rack

I read some of the previous threads concerning bike racks for a ti. From those threads, it seems to be the concensus that the Thule rooftop bike rack is the best option. I also think that someone mentioned that the rack for the ti is specific and different than that of the E36 sedan/coupe. Does anyone happen to have Thule model numbers for the feet, rack(s), and accessories that they have used and been happy with on their ti? I am also curious to know ballpark pricing for the whole setup.
I appreciate any feedback anyone is able to provide.
Thanks - Jim
jigg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
lampoost

Hi,

I've got the Thule bike grooved thing fixed to La Prealpina aero bars and feet. I thought the La Prealpina feet lit my ring more than the clumsy looking Thule ones. The code for LP is 'L872 BMW 3 Compact' They fit together well.
lampoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
L84THSKY

I bought my Ti in August. The first thing I did was have a hitch put on the car, for my motorcycle trailer. This hitch is the only one made for the Ti. It has a removable receiver, so the hitch is practically invisible. I'm planning on getting the Thule (ball mount hitch) bike carrier. That way I can install the receiver and the bike carrier only when I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigg60
I read some of the previous threads concerning bike racks for a ti. From those threads, it seems to be the concensus that the Thule rooftop bike rack is the best option. I also think that someone mentioned that the rack for the ti is specific and different than that of the E36 sedan/coupe. Does anyone happen to have Thule model numbers for the feet, rack(s), and accessories that they have used and been happy with on their ti? I am also curious to know ballpark pricing for the whole setup.
I appreciate any feedback anyone is able to provide.
Thanks - Jim

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
aceyx

what's the capacity of the hitch, including tongue weight? cost?

i've been looking for something easier (than coming back home to get my jeep) to take my bike around. also, what kind of trailer?
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
L84THSKY

The trailer is in the link below. Cost me around $500.00 through Ebay shipped to my door.

The hitch was another $500.00 installed (see link). There is only one hitch made for this car, and it ain't cheap. The good news is, the receiver is removable and the hitch is nearly invisible, when not used. Tongue weight on the hitch should probably not exceed 150lbs. The trailer is made to be balanced when a motorcycle is loaded, so very little weight is on the tongue.

If you put the receiver on, then you can attach a ball mount bike carrier to the hitch. I don't think 2 or 3 bicycles will be any problem.

I can take a couple of pics of the car with and without the receiver installed. You will be amazed how cool this setup is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
what's the capacity of the hitch, including tongue weight? cost?
i've been looking for something easier (than coming back home to get my jeep) to take my bike around. also, what kind of trailer?
http://www.magnetatrailers.com/motorcycle_full.html
http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip....ode=6940&OID=8

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
aceyx

sorry for the hijack everyone, but thanks for the links and info. $1000 is much cheaper in the long run, since shipping a bike costs $450 not to mention the gas for the jeep (hog).

back on topic: lampoost; do you have a link for the prealpina setup? i don't think it's easy to find in the states (assuming that's where jim is).

i have the thule rack, since yakima doesn't make feet for the ti (although you could possibly mix a sedan and coupe set) and the saris stuff really didn't look beefy enough. factory rack was $$ and had no load capacity.

i'm happy with my setup. off the top of my head i have 40" bars, aero feet, 225 (?) mounting kit and fairing. with a 20% discount at my local shop, i believe i got it for under $200.

i use it mainly for carrying skis/snowboards, and as a place to mount aux flood lights and a cb antenna. i have used both the thule and rocky mounts bike racks, and had no problems with them.

if you do use a roof carrier, drive like you have a bike on top all the time, otherwise you will forget. my friend forgot while driving his jetta, and went through a parking garage! i also snapped a 4' antenna, but they're only $20 to replace and didn't dent my roof.

i also have one of those adjustable y-looking bike racks if i don't feel like throwing on the thule (it's loud, and i usually ride to spots nowadays) and my bike can fold up and fit in the back as long as it's clean.

if you buy the entire setup locally, you can probably negotiate a deal similar to what you'd get off ebay. if you do end up getting the thule kit, i would go for the yakima fairing, or send me a PM to see what i did to the bumper strip (it will scratch your glass and paint otherwise).
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #7
96cali

Not sure if this is the same hitch as L84thsky, but I remember a few yahoo ti group members comparing notes on the hitch by Da'lan (think it's spelled that way). This is googled from that group in a 1998 post:

There is a trailer hitch available for the ti. Here are the
details:

DA'LAN, INC.
68 Walker rd.
Shirley, Massachusetts 01464
P:800.325.2613
F:508.425.9464
P/N: 247301
BMW 318ti, '95-'97
1500# gross trailer weight
150# tongue load
USD:$189.00

The hitch mounts to the bumper struts, bumper strut mounting plate,
and to a cross member located behind the spare tire. It's a
vertical receiver type. When the ball assembly is removed, you can
not see the hitch. You do need to remove the rear bumper facia to
install. The ball mount must be purchased separate (P/N: 55037,
USD$????). The down side is purchasing/fabricating a wiring
harness for the trailer. It shouldn't be too difficult. Note, I
would not recommend pulling 1500# with the ti. I believe 500# with
~50# tongue wt. would be no problem.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
lampoost

The link for La Prealpina is: http://www.laprealpina.it/

For a comparison (prices in British pounds) see: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?http:/...y.php?id=33598
lampoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
jenkinskg

Default looking for receiver hitch, anyone?

links here are old, any luck anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
The trailer is in the link below. Cost me around $500.00 through Ebay shipped to my door.

The hitch was another $500.00 installed (see link). There is only one hitch made for this car, and it ain't cheap. The good news is, the receiver is removable and the hitch is nearly invisible, when not used. Tongue weight on the hitch should probably not exceed 150lbs. The trailer is made to be balanced when a motorcycle is loaded, so very little weight is on the tongue.

If you put the receiver on, then you can attach a ball mount bike carrier to the hitch. I don't think 2 or 3 bicycles will be any problem.

I can take a couple of pics of the car with and without the receiver installed. You will be amazed how cool this setup is.

http://www.magnetatrailers.com/motorcycle_full.html
http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip....ode=6940&OID=8
jenkinskg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
M-technik-3

Vehicles

I have been piecing mine together out of racks I find on craigslist. Sell the spare parts you don't need on ebay and it can be done.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Marv17

Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist. I've found both of my bike rack/holders for $50 to $70 each. And the roof rack at $100. 2 snow board holders at $40 each and a BMW cargo box at $100 (used to retail at $1000 at one point)

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote