318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 950,817 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-25-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Oil Change Helpful Hints

Hello All

Here are some observations, handy tools and replacement parts for the job. First off, the drain plug uses a 17mm socket to remove. The oil filter was a nice design, as opposed to my VW, which made a mess removing. I will list a few handy tools below with pics to show you what I used to do it. I picked up on Ebay 8 oil filters(German Made) from a regular seller for $17.00 He throws in shipping if you buy the air filters too. I bought 2 air filters for $15.00 shipping included. So the total cost for 8 oil filters and 2 air filters was $32.00. The oil filter wrench was bought at Autobarn, and is made in USA. The oil drain container,(Made in USA), was also bought at Autobarn and is the best idea I have ever seen. No mess, and the drain plug/washer never falls in the container. I used 4 quarts of Mobile 1 (15W-50) and 1 quart of Slick 50. If you get a set of plastic ramps (AutoBarn), it makes it very easy.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/container.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/wrench.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/wrench1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/filter.JPG

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Ed montocchio

Hi,

I am ready to do my first oil change. Just a quick question before I go under the car - do you have to remove the black cover under the engine to get to the drain plug?

Also do you have to suspend the car at all?
Ed montocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
aceyx

the drain plug is located underneath the wheels and should (at least on US models) be visibile without removing anything.

while you don't have to suspend the car, it'll really help to actually get yourself and a drain pan under there. just make sure it's level.

L8; it's MOBIL. no "e," not even a silent one.

since this might show up on a search, i also use ramps. however, note that the weight capacity is for FOUR ramps. so, the 8000# blitz ramps will each support 2000#s.
i think there is a lower model (the black ones) which kind of sag under the ti's weight. go with the gray ones.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Ed montocchio

Hi, could not find the drain plug, so I decided to remove the steal plate under the engine. Feel a little silly as this pan had a rectangle hole in the middle and, on closer inspection, there was a black plastic cover with one screw. Opening this revealed the drain plug facing the driver’s side. (I have a right hand drive - live in South Africa). It was only 4 bolts, so it was worth the investigation - I was also able to pressure clean the underneath of the engine.

Interesting, as I have not seen this anywhere on any web site. It is a 2001 318i M44 engine.

If the car is 4 years old, should I replace the coolant and brake fluid too?

I hear the manual transmission oil does not need to be replaced - Is this true?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed montocchio
there was a black plastic cover with one screw. Opening this revealed the drain plug facing the driver’s side. (I have a right hand drive - live in South Africa).
thanks for passing this information along. i believe that most of the members on this site are in the US, so it's hard for us to tell what's done in other countries. good to know.

Quote:
If the car is 4 years old, should I replace the coolant and brake fluid too?
I hear the manual transmission oil does not need to be replaced - Is this true?
brake fluid should be flushed every two years (ATE super blue). coolant should be changed every two (BMW coolant), and flush the system every third change.

the tranny oil is considered "lifetime" by bmw, but myself and a few other members do it every 25k or so. the consensus is synthetic, either mobil1, lubro-moly or redline (and some others). depending on the type of differential you have, you'll need a hypoid fluid or regular 75w90.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Ed montocchio

Thanks for your help so far.

Next small problem - I cannot get the subscribed oil filter removal tool in SA. Can I use a standard oil strap system to remove the cap? How important is the torque when replacing the cap?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
aceyx

ed; try an auto parts store, or a mercedes dealer for the filter removal tool. a rubber strap may work, but a metal one will simply slide around. clutch-types won't work either since it has an even number of sides.

when replacing the cap, go hand-tight on the wrench. i do the same with the drain plug (make sure you've replaced the crush washer).
Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
Ed montocchio

Thanks, I have ordered the tool on eBay - I don't want to damage the cap.
As soon as it arrives I will do my first oil change!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
aceyx

cool. isn't south africa ZA though?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
maherbaz

all this talk about filter wrenches.....I couldn't find one. I just put a rag over the filter cap (to protect my hand from the heat and get a better grip) and twisted it off with my hands. I put it back on the same way.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #11
Ed montocchio

Half the fun is to have the correct tools - I never do anything without buying the tool first!

South Africa - SA (English) ; ZA - Zuid Afrika (Afrikaans) - We have 11 official languages!!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
L84THSKY

I posted a picture of the filter wrench in the first post of the thread. Got it at Autobarn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maherbaz
all this talk about filter wrenches.....I couldn't find one. I just put a rag over the filter cap (to protect my hand from the heat and get a better grip) and twisted it off with my hands. I put it back on the same way.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 08-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #13
aceyx

a friend of mine (last name coetzee) is originally from za. he speaks afrikaans with his parents and siblings--really neat.

L8, somehow guessing that autobarn doesn't exist in south africa. i could be wrong, but hey.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
L84THSKY

That comment was for Maherbaz, he is in St. Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
L8, somehow guessing that autobarn doesn't exist in south africa. i could be wrong, but hey.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 08-27-2005, 04:15 AM   #15
96ti

bavauto.com is the place to get the wrench, if you are in the US BTW. I got mine for $6 W/o shipping though.