318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,326 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,137 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #1
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Default anyone have an auto solutions shift kit?

anyone have one? if so, thoughts and opinions?

http://www.autosolutions.net/index.html

i sent for info for my 1996 ti. will post info when i get it.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

what i asked:

i'm interested in your short shift kits you sell. a couple questions:

1) which pieces differ between the fixed and adjustable ratio kits?

2) are both basic and complete kits offered for my model/year (1996 318ti, e36 compact)

3) what are the prices for each type of kit for my model/year (fixed/adjustable and basic/complete)?

thank you very much in advance for your time and quick response! i appreciate it.

what auto solutions responded with:

1) While the kits are designed as individual units, the greatest difference is in the shift lever design.
2) Yes
3) We sell the adjustable exclusively through BMP design. Please contact them at BMPdesign.com. If your requirements are for a custom kit we would sell the adjustable directly to you. Examples of custom kits are special lever height, angle of bend backwards, right hand drive, etc. The prices for the fixed model are: Basic $185 Complete $230.

Please feel free to call or email with questions or comments

ronald
816-561-4269
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 09-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

further follow up ...

what i asked
what would you recommend for my 1996 318ti then?

auto-solutions response
I would probably recommend the complete kit with a urethane front carrier bushing upgrade. This would give you about a 35% reduction and a lot of precision because of the combination of the urethane bushing that locks the bracket in place and the new linkage. cost is $250 with the urethane and $225 without.
Hope this helps

Old 12-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

order just placed. they're very busy so i agreed that between christmas and new years or even possibly after new years was ok for delivery. will post pics when i get it. ronald was very nice to talk to on the phone, sounds like a very nice guy. can't wait to get it! time to remove the guibo/center bearing/driveshaft!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
AlaskaBlue

That short shifter sounds nice. I was looking around for them earlier. Keep us updated on how it works out.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

will do. he said they sent them out "broken in" before, but now they send 'em out tight. said to give it around 200 miles to break in. along with the poly engine and trans mounts, this thing should be tighter than a virgin!

Old 12-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
will do. he said they sent them out "broken in" before, but now they send 'em out tight. said to give it around 200 miles to break in. along with the poly engine and trans mounts, this thing should be tighter than a virgin!
Haha well good luck with that.

Do you have any guesses as to how hard the trans and engine mounts are to install?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

trans mounts should be easy. motor mounts may be another story. so far, it appears the people who have done it have jacked on the oil pan which i'd rather not do. my only other thought was to somehow use a long rod to jack on the supports (to which the mounts attach at the bottom), but i'm not sure how i'd do that in a secure and safe manner. otherwise, i'd need some manner to lift/support it from the top. i don't have a cherry picker and don't want to have to buy one yet! lol

Old 12-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
AlaskaBlue

Cherry pickers aren't cheap. thats for sure. I heard someone around here saying they got the motor mounts installed for 60 bucks. I was thinking that it may be easier to do that than try to do it myself.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

that'd probably be the smart thing to do (so of course i won't do that ). i want to do it when i have the rack and all the power steering hoses/lines out so i have more room to access things.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 AM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

IT CAME TODAY! working on taking some pics now ... w00t!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 AM   #12
J!m

Vehicles
Exclamation

You should be able to lift the engine enough to change the mounts (one at a time) by using a bottle jack and block of wood under the crank pulley, as close to the block as possible. Lift it just enough to get the mount clear, no more.

I have lifted quite a few engines this way in the past with no problems.

I also recommend against a cherry picker, as they are not very stable.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:26 AM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

finally got everything installed. the auto solutions SSK is SWEET! highly recommended. the poly bushing on the front of the shift arm followed by getting the bitch clip back on was the biggest pain. it has a very positive feel and the throw was reduced nicely. with the $60 bmw short weighted knob (from bimmerbum on ebay), it's really a sweet setup.