318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,891 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
wpi_guy

Default Door Panel Repair

Hey Guys,

So I got an E46 330 and now my 318Ti is my project car/my sister's first car so I want to fix it up a bit before she gets it in May. My driver door panel has been coming off at the bottom so I wanted to take it off and replace the clips so it will stay on. But when I took it off, I found that the previous owner(s) super glued the plastic brackets that hold the clips to the door panel. Of course I found this out after all the brackets fell on the ground when I removed the panel. So now I don't know where each bracket goes or how to secure adhere it to the panel again. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of problem, I'm thinking its either trial and error until I find the right combination or to buy a new door panel. Anyone know where I can get a replacement gray cloth door panel for a 95 318Ti?

Thanks.
wpi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
budget76

you should see numbers on the back of the black stands, and if you look closely at the glue on the door panel you should be able to match them up. IIRC they go from 1-8 around the door, but it's been a while

good luck
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

This is a fairly common problem. The factory glue doesn't adhere to the plastic brackets very well. The brackets are numbered 1 through 10. They go in order from the side view mirror around the bottom of the door to the door lock pin. First you're gonna want to mark the locations with a sharpie. BEFORE you scrape off the old glue, take a sharpie and mark the corners. This will require you to scratch little holes through the glue down to the door panel. This way, you don't remove the marks when you peel off the glue. Also take note and annotate the orientation of the bracket by looking at the impressions in the glue left from the numbers on the back of the brackets ie; if the numbers are upside down, draw an arrow facing down or something you'll remember once the glue is removed. Once the glue is removed, you'll have no reference where the brackets go, so MAKE SURE you mark each one!

So now you should have a door panel with a bunch of dots, arrows and numbers on it. All of the glue is peeled off. Go to your local auto parts store or hardware store and buy a couple packs of JB Weld Kwik. The regular JB Weld takes too long to cure and the working time is short anyway, so you might as well use the quick drying stuff. Don't get sucked in by the hundreds of different epoxys they sell, JB Weld is the only one that will bond the plastic to the door panel and actually last.

Mix equal parts of the JB Weld Kwik on a piece of cardboard, just enough to do ONE bracket. Place a dab on the bracket and a dab on the door panel. Press the bracket firmly in place. Note the working time on the JB Weld is pretty damn short, you might be able to do two brackets, but definitely not three. If you feel comfortable doing two at a time, mix enough for two. If not, continue the process until all of the brackets are in place. Once all 10 of the brackets are in place, go back and apply another layer of JB Weld over the top of the flanges so it overlaps onto the door panel and seepage from the initial application. This will ensure a stronger bond and also provide a reinforced grip on the brackets. Take a good look at the positions of the brackets and compare them to the holes on the door. If you messed up and glued one on upside down or something, this is your only chance to correct it. Once the JB Weld fully cures, you're not getting that bracket off without breaking it or ripping a hole in your door panel. If everything looks right, leave the panel off for a day or so. The next day, try to make an impression in the JB Weld with your thumb nail. It should be hard as a rock. Install your door panels and you should never have anymore problems from here on out.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
wpi_guy

Thanks for the help guys! I want to wait until the weather outside in New England is a little less wintry before I start working on the car. Thanks for the info!
wpi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
tiFreak

Vehicles

for what it's worth, I didn't have any problems gluing the posts to the old glue, makes it easier to make sure you have them positioned right too
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
NuovoTech

Quote:
I didn't have any problems gluing the posts to the old glue, makes it easier to make sure you have them positioned right too
I'll second that! Last week I used Loctite Super Glue Gel, it worked quite well.
NuovoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
active96ti

ive had to do exactly what jess said for a few of mine. and i now have to do a few more
active96ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
pdxmotorhead

I find that super glue fatigues when used to glue parts together that need to flex but are stiff material. Hobby stores do sell different types of super glue for model airplanes and one of them as i recall is specifically for plastics, may help...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
curtdfw

I'm using J-B Quik for the first time on a door panel, and the hardener is so thick I can barely get it out of the tube to mix -- is this normal? There doesn't seem to be any date code on the package or the tubes, and the other tube comes out easily enough.

Curt
curtdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdfw View Post
I'm using J-B Quik for the first time on a door panel, and the hardener is so thick I can barely get it out of the tube to mix -- is this normal? There doesn't seem to be any date code on the package or the tubes, and the other tube comes out easily enough.

Curt
That doesn't sound normal. Did it sit out in the cold overnight? Perhaps the top of the tube needs to be punctured a little more?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
32styledTI

would it be possible to re-order those little clips?

I think the previous owner opened the panel and lost all the black pole attachment pieces. Now I have nothing to attach the panels...hmmmm damn Previous owners
32styledTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
curtdfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32styledTI View Post
would it be possible to re-order those little clips?
No such luck. They're part of the door panel assembly, about $500 at your local dealer.
curtdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
32styledTI

Default no please dont tell me that.

I was looking here for the piece but you say its not on this list?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...67&hg=51&fg=50

I saw a number of fasteners that I dont know what there for....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32styledTI View Post
I was looking here for the piece but you say its not on this list?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...67&hg=51&fg=50

I saw a number of fasteners that I dont know what there for....
Not on the list. Your best bet is to jump on the next part-out thread.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
32styledTI

Default damn im sol it seems

so you recomend buying whole panels off a partout or?? should I just try to buy the clips/? from my understanding they dont come off there kinda broken off so > hmmm

my interior is the black leather with the white and black zebra looking center portion

is this normal or rare interior? It seems to be sport seats but im unsure at this point!