318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,310,431 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,565 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #466
tiFreak

Vehicles

don't racing clutches tend to rattle anyway? I think I remember hearing that about them
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #467
DaveKern

Somebody on the other forum guessed that it's the throw out bearing.

This is a single plate clutch so no rattling really. The triple in my other car is a rattle machine.

Dave

Built-by-Bones & SCR Performance
Mishimoto
DaveKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #468
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'd definitely pull the tranny and check the flywheel bolts. Especially if you're running a LTW flywheel.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #469
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I'd definitely pull the tranny and check the flywheel bolts. Especially if you're running a LTW flywheel.
Is that a do not pass go, do it right now sorta thing, or you think I'd be ok to play with it for a couple hours before tearing into it? FWIW, I think this noise showed up right about the time the engine dropped a valve, but at the time I wasn't sure if it really was trans related or if it was just top end engine noise.

I plan to drop a fresh clutch disc into it before the real racing starts, but I'd love to be able to get some more practice with the car in out on the ice tracks before they close for the season.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #470
cooljess76

I have a UUC 8.5lb flywheel/e34 M5 clutch setup that I plan on installing on mine, but I've been reading a lot of reports of the bolts backing out which is kind of unsettling to me. I did purchase brand new UUC flywheel bolts and a "gull" plate, but I'm planning on using red loctite or maybe even having the bolts drilled for safety wire. In your case, I'd probably just be extra cautious until you do drop the tranny for a new clutch/TO bearing and the moment you feel it getting slightly worse, stop immediately. I've heard of pressure plates ripping through floorboards and the thought of my leg getting chopped off scares the bajesus out of me, lol. Not to mention the damage to the transmission and driveline.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #471
DaveKern

Holy sh!t!

Its just a little bit of extra noise, actually doensn't yet approach the noise level from a multi-plate unit.

I will for sure keep an ear on it...luckily with no sound deadening, I can hear everything. LOL

Hopefully doing some lead/follow stuff with the gopros this saturday.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #472
cooljess76

I'm probably being a little overly-dramatic. It's probably nothing serious. What flywheel setup are you running? Most of the threads about UUC flywheels end up getting locked or deleted on other forums, but if you search bf.c and some of the other popular BMW forums for "blue flywheel", you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #473
DaveKern

Quote:
I'm probably being a little overly-dramatic. It's probably nothing serious. What flywheel setup are you running? Most of the threads about UUC flywheels end up getting locked or deleted on other forums, but if you search bf.c and some of the other popular BMW forums for "blue flywheel", you'll see what I'm talking about.
Damn, I thought the FW was one of the things those guys actually did right...figured it was a Fidanza or some other brand just rebadged. Undecided on which clutch disk I'll get to replace the used one it came with. Figure while I'm in there I'll replace the friction surface as well.

Motor/trans mounts - failed in under 40 miles and I've not read very good reeviews on the shifters.

On a positive note, I've been thrilled with how the AKG stuff is holding up.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #474
cooljess76

In all fairness though, many people have ran UUC flywheels with no issues at all. Most of the failures were due to people either a) using factory bolts which are too long or b) reusing old UUC bolts which are one-time use stretch bolts. I'm going to take my chances and run it since I already purchased it and I gave my factory clutch and flywheel away.

Yeah man, clutches and flywheels exploding can be scary stuff. Transmission bellhousings shatter like glass and sheetmetal floorboards and firewalls tear like paper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbrvUtNJfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9TX82c2VI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azx5ASOPuQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBLTMmd39Jg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k02VZIcLitQ

Last edited by cooljess76; 02-09-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #475
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKern View Post
Damn, I thought the FW was one of the things those guys actually did right...figured it was a Fidanza or some other brand just rebadged. Undecided on which clutch disk I'll get to replace the used one it came with. Figure while I'm in there I'll replace the friction surface as well.

Motor/trans mounts - failed in under 40 miles and I've not read very good reeviews on the shifters.

On a positive note, I've been thrilled with how the AKG stuff is holding up.

Dave
The fact that they are able to have most of the threads locked that talk badly about their products has completely turned me off to UUC and really reflects poorly on the quality of information on bimmerforums. Umnitza/BavToys is the same way, they have had lots of threads locked/blackholed when the threads talk poorly about their products or service.

I also think on a street car the flywheel problem isn't as severe simply because the car isn't revved to redline everyday. But that is obviously different on a race/rally car where the engine is being pushed to the limit all the time. It seems that most of the issues stem from revving over 7000rpm by guys in the track forum.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #476
DaveKern

I'm keeping the revs under 6k on the ice, and even that is probably higher than I need to go. Mostly I'm in the 2500-4500 range. Mainly trying to get a feel for balancing the car on slick surfaces so when I'm back on dirt my confidence is higher. Ice & snow are really good at humbling even confident drivers.

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #477
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
The fact that they are able to have most of the threads locked that talk badly about their products has completely turned me off to UUC and really reflects poorly on the quality of information on bimmerforums.
Dude I'm right there with you on that.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #478
teetime4one

Vehicles

i heard about this build back in 2009 while visiting with Eric.
i woke up at 5:00am this morning and saw it on the "new posts" list and started reading.
as soon as i got home from work i started reading again...just completed the entire thread...and all i can say is WOW!
Great build Dave.
i'd love to see it sometime.

on a side note...i attended the Bridgestone Winter Ice Driving School back in February 2008. i remember the instructor saying that he was a rally car driver. i wonder if that was you. i was in the Second Gear class...first timer ya know. Good Times!

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #479
DaveKern

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime4one View Post
on a side note...i attended the Bridgestone Winter Ice Driving School back in February 2008. i remember the instructor saying that he was a rally car driver. i wonder if that was you. i was in the Second Gear class...first timer ya know. Good Time!
That could've been me if you were there on a weekend. Matt is the other guy who has a rally background.

Thanks for checking out the build!

Dave

Mishimoto
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #480
teetime4one

Vehicles

yep, that was you!

Question for you Dave, do you still have a stock-pile of parts from this car?
if you do...i'd love to rummage around and see what i can find.
maybe i can get the entire crew together for a viewing of your rally car too if you'd be willing to show & tell.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote