318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,128 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
HuGo

Talking Getting Rdy, DASC Preperation

So im getting ready to call DA and make the order tommorow (monday). I plan on doing the install myself with the help of my dad guiding me. I plan on doing the oil change then installing the DASC.

I will be purchasing the Rspeed Check Valve as well tommorow. I just need to know if the one posted on the FI FAQ is the right one since it says mazda.

Also, i need to know what kind of racing spark plugs are the ones i need. If someone can give me a name or part number or whatever thatll be great. Id like to go with NGK. Im just wondering, how much will each spark plug run me, 10 bucks each one?

Also, i need to know which is a good boost gauge. All i really want is the psi gauge, i dont care for oil, afr, etc. I dont wanna spend more then 50 dollars on one.

TIA.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
HuGo

Spark plugs help??

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
Viper3812

Denso Irdium are good spark plugs...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...er3812/Sig.jpg
Viper3812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
jflip2002

NGK has some laser platinums, which are nice.

As far as getting a "Nice" gauge, for under $50, its not going to happen. Spend the extra $25 or so, and get something nice and reliable. An oil gauge is actually the most crucial guage you can have on a car, as far as the engine is concerned. We can get by without it with our temperature gauge though. but if youre going to spend the $3k on an DASC, spend the extra $75 on an oil gauge. You dont want to fry your engine.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the TI? Let us know how its going through the set up.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflip2002 View Post
NGK has some laser platinums, which are nice.

As far as getting a "Nice" gauge, for under $50, its not going to happen. Spend the extra $25 or so, and get something nice and reliable. An oil gauge is actually the most crucial guage you can have on a car, as far as the engine is concerned. We can get by without it with our temperature gauge though. but if youre going to spend the $3k on an DASC, spend the extra $75 on an oil gauge. You dont want to fry your engine.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the TI? Let us know how its going through the set up.
Since when are you concern about me? (bfc)

But why an oil temperature? The car came without it. So is it really necessary now? How do you read an oil gauge, at what numbers is it to high?

Maybe ill buy it later, right now im on a budget. Barely made it for the dasc.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Bluebimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
But why an oil temperature? The car came without it. So is it really necessary now? How do you read an oil gauge, at what numbers is it to high?

Maybe ill buy it later, right now im on a budget. Barely made it for the dasc.
I believe the Oil Guage is to measure pressure, not temperature. I dont know what the numbers should be on this car, let alone a boosted one...so someone else can help you there.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
FATHER

About the boot gauge i buy mine on ebay for $25.00 new is an autometer gauge vacuum 30 and boost 20, about the oil gauge i not have one but make sense to have one, but i think you want to run about 7.5 psi so i not think you really need it, all depends of your drive style. If you install the kit really correct and not make mod. ro change to it you not need the wideband gauge for now, also that gauge are very spensive,like $300.00 but is the best!!!!, in my opinion the most important extra gauge you need are Boost, Oil Pressure and Wide Bad presure, autometer have the 3.

Mods: Some plastic parts, ///M Wheels and me
FATHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
pdxmotorhead

If your exceeding the 7.5 lb of reccomended boost, you should monitor Oil temp as well. Many a race engine has
died due to hot oil....

While wide bands are really nice for tuning, I'd look at the systems that use the OBDII port to update a display, sort
of a mini glass dash. Don't know if there is one for our cars though and I have OBD1.

Oh well.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I don't have the spark plug number, but any auto parts place will be able to tell you which one you need. I'm using NGK race plugs, I believe they were $80 for 4. When you find the part number, please post it.

The Rspeed check valve was made for Sebring supercharger kits for Miatas, but the DASC is basically a Sebring, since they are made by the same company. (Sebring is no longer around, btw).

Good luck with the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
So im getting ready to call DA and make the order tommorow (monday). I plan on doing the install myself with the help of my dad guiding me. I plan on doing the oil change then installing the DASC.

I will be purchasing the Rspeed Check Valve as well tommorow. I just need to know if the one posted on the FI FAQ is the right one since it says mazda.

Also, i need to know what kind of racing spark plugs are the ones i need. If someone can give me a name or part number or whatever thatll be great. Id like to go with NGK. Im just wondering, how much will each spark plug run me, 10 bucks each one?

Also, i need to know which is a good boost gauge. All i really want is the psi gauge, i dont care for oil, afr, etc. I dont wanna spend more then 50 dollars on one.

TIA.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
pnosker

Yeah, Downing Atlanta, before making BMW kits, made kits for the Miata. They're based off the same Eaton design so what Dusten said is correct as far as I know. I don't have a DASC (yet) though.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
I don't have the spark plug number, but any auto parts place will be able to tell you which one you need. I'm using NGK race plugs, I believe they were $80 for 4. When you find the part number, please post it.

The Rspeed check valve was made for Sebring supercharger kits for Miatas, but the DASC is basically a Sebring, since they are made by the same company. (Sebring is no longer around, btw).

Good luck with the install.

So then pretty much as long as its called, NGK race plugs right? I will go tommorow and buy plugs, oil, and i wanna get the gauges.

So how do you read the vacuum? What numbers mean good or bad. Pretty much what am i monotoring? Same for the oil. Well do i really need an oil gauge? Ill spend the money on the psi gauge, but really, do i need the oil one?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

15 to 20 in/hg is good vacuum at idle. Boost should be between 7 and 9psi, depending on the outside temperature.

You don't NEED any gauges, especially if you don't know what they mean.

You may have to order the NGK plugs, I don't think many auto places are going to stock them.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
96cali

FWIW my mech said the connectors, hoses, etc that come with teh kit are crap and should be upgraded. When you get the kit, inspect and consider upgrading the parts with same size lines, etc.

Dusten- you're opinion?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali View Post
FWIW my mech said the connectors, hoses, etc that come with teh kit are crap and should be upgraded. When you get the kit, inspect and consider upgrading the parts with same size lines, etc.

Dusten- you're opinion?
I was impressed with the quality of the components and I haven't had any problems in 2+ years (40k+ miles). I tend to do a lot of preventive maintenance so I have replaced some of the components with higher quality pieces that I had laying around (stainless steel hoses, etc...)

Overall, I think the kit is good for an entry level system, but like any high performance bolt on you'll need to keep an eye on everything and replace/upgrade as needed.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 09-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
HuGo

I would like to switch all rubber hoses with stainless steel hoses. But im sure thats expensinve to change them. But it will make the kit stand out more. Dusten, about how many hoses does the kit come with?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...