318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 102,509 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 65,539 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 62,768 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
ntaylor90

Default M50 swap thread!

Hello everyone!

As promised I said I would start a build thread for my m50 swap into my 318ti. I recently purchased a de-reged 325is that was stickered due to excessive rear quarter panel rust. It had the m50, the manual box, and also full leather interior and m-sport body kit. All in all it was a complete car that i am using for parts!

Now I'm relatively new to the whole idea of swapping an engine, but relatively confident and competent with engine knowledge and a toolbox!

I started tearing apart the m50, and am replacing every single gasket, includ new valve stem seals, new bearings for crank and cams, head bolts (ARP) and stock HG for now.

Future plans are to do a lot of aesthetic work on the 318ti, basically make it look less like the bastard child it is, and then move onto Evo pistons (85mm bore, reducing c/r as told by the incredible crunchy) and have a manifold manufactured and wire a nice dirty big turbo onto it for some fun times!

I have taken a few pics so far, and will take many more, so I will do my utmost to post them on here for all to see!

I'm very excited about this project, have always wanted to swap an engine, and it's also an awesome learning curve for me!

Regards to all,

Nick from NZ
ntaylor90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
ntaylor90

The poor old 325is manual for parts

Starting to take the front off

Up on the jack stands and draining fluids

Cylinder head. A bit of carbon buildup on the valves and combustion chamber, but will clean off nicely!

Pistons will get a good clean even though I plan on using forged evo pistons in the near future for my Turbo build

Starting to get everything off and wiring tied to the side for now

Managed to take the block out on a jack with the help of the better half! It's sitting up on a stand, will clean prep and paint it. Really tidy block though I'm pleased with it!

That's all I have for now! Much more to come
In the near future so stay posted!

Nick
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
b0m

Thread followed!
b0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
ntaylor90

Look what arrived today!

Head up total gasket set. Waiting on crankcase gasket set, Goetze piston rings, and crankshaft align tool. eBay is awesome!

I should also have arrive tomorrow, e46 330i biggg calipers - thanks to Brent at bmworld over here in NZ! Should fit very snugly behind my 17" wheels Will be purchasing a good set of slotted drilled rotors and ceramic pads from eBay when they arrive!

Picked up a drill today, some wire wheel attachments, and engine enamel primer to start priming the cleaned up block, head and sump.

Taking out valves tomorrow, and will give them a good clean and get the head cleaned nicely!

Will be a good weekend

Nick

Last edited by ntaylor90; 10-26-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: derp moment
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
30yrMbr

Vehicles

GLWS (Good Luck with Swap!)

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
ntaylor90

Today was a very productive day!

Now waiting for the Crank gasket set and piston rings which should arrive by the end of the month!

I started off the day getting the valves out. What a f***ing mission! Haha. I ended up using an F-clamp, and a multi-tool spanner thing, compressed the valves, and then used a little extendable magnet to pick off the little retainers! After the first couple it was a bit easier

I will definitely need a proper valve compressor to get them back on! (I had a stanley 'universal' one, that wasn't going to work.)

There was a bit of carbon deposit on the valves (mainly the exhaust valves, as you can see) so I punctured a can of CRC Carb cleaner and emptied it into a bucket and soaked the valves in for a good half hour - the carbon wiped right off!

Felt like I deserved a beer after that, although it only took me about an hour and a half for all 24!

Cleaning up the head now, I was pleasantly surprised with the condition also, a wee bit of head gasket residue which will skim right off nicely, and some carbon depositing in the exhaust ports! Attacked the Oil Sump and front cover with degreaser, hot soapy water, carb cleaner, and a wire brush on a drill to make it nice and shiny Put on 2 coats of primer, and 2 of gloss black. I will wait until it's properly cured (7 days), sand it down with a tiny grit, and make one last coat. I used Duplicolour engine enamel - had good reviews!

Tomorrow I might start attacking the block with the wire brush too as that will get the black too. I also received my Calipers yesterday, so I will start cleaning them up too for a paint.

Hope everybody has a great weekend ahead! Drive safe :F

Last edited by ntaylor90; 10-26-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: pictures didn't upload
Old 10-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
ntaylor90

Had to work this afternoon, but had a good morning! Head looks really nice now, and had the tiniest amount skimmed from the block side. Looks really good! Taped it up and painted all the open bits. Taping was a mission, least favourite part (even more tedious than the valve springs.. Haha!)

Looks quite nice I think, and I'm far from a professional!!!!
Just like the rest I will wait a week for the paint to cure properly, sand it with a very fine grit, and give her a last coat for a nice even finish!

Attacked the valve cover (does anybody know where I can get the little rubber grommets for the bolt seals from? They were US$.50 on turner and pelican parts, but $44 for shipping!!!, if I can find a local supplier that would be awesome). Degreased the inside and will attack the outside with wire brush tomorrow and paint

Peace for now!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
ntaylor90

Had a productive morning now that the sun is out!! Started chucking all the valves back in. I managed to tackle the first 12 intake valves over the space of around 2 hours hahaha. What a mission. I purchased a valve spring compressor of trade me, it works quite nicely

Will do the other 12 tomorrow, and start thinking of putting it all back together (slowly).

Woo!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
ntaylor90

Managed to borrow a piston ring tool, got the piston rings on and put them into a nicely honed block. I ended up honing myself, which was a neat experience. Won't be a perfect job, but it's also just temporary before I move onto other pistons and cometic HG when I start doing turbo gear.

All coming together nicely. Quite proud of my work so far considering I have never undertaken anything like this before. A cool and fun learning experience.

Buying all fluids and will start thinking about getting everything together before I chuck it in the Ti!

Cheers
Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
jzamarripa

Keep up the good work! It's looking great so far
jzamarripa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
ntaylor90

Got my cams in today. Again, super thankful for the pelican parts website rundown on cam installation. Had some help holding the cams at their 'sweet spot' by my better half. Pretty cool that she likes what I'm doing, and is the one who encouraged me to undertake this project!

Starting to come along very nicely now. Am going to chuck the head gasket on tomorrow and follow the pelican parts tutorial for timing and VANOS install. Then it's a short climb to the finish! Planning on having the engine and manual turn-key in the next week or 2. Exciting!

Then on to thinking about other things. Turbo, coilovers, better wheels, paint. Mmm.

Have a good Sunday everyone!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Dr Shuffles

Vehicles

Are you using the transmission from the donor car? What about the differential?
Dr Shuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
ntaylor90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Shuffles View Post
Are you using the transmission from the donor car? What about the differential?
Yes I'm using the 5 speed from the 325is. I am on the hunt at the moment for an e30 lsd and half shafts. They are a difficult thing to come across in the ratio I want in nz! Stock diff is 4.44 which will be stupid, so at the very least I have a 318ti manual (3.45) diff lined up to tide me over until I find a suitable lsd
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
ntaylor90

What's wrong with a crescent! Haha. I hate them with a passion but it's the only thing I had (except vice grips) that was wide enough to hold the cams in place when I tightened them

Today was awesome. I finalised the prep on my head and block, wiped her down, installed the front timing cover and chucked the head on! It was good, luckily I had my girlfriends' sister to feed the timing chain through so it didn't fall into the cavity!

I've never done a head, I couldn't believe the tightness of the head bolts for a relatively thin diameter bolt. Wow. I now see why they're only one time use!

A few piccys.

Overlooking it's unsuspecting victim...

Looking pretty good in black.. Will give it a final sand and spray before it all goes into the Ti.

Looking forward to the next few weeks! Turn key should be not too far away. And then time to attack everything else

Have a good night all.
Nick
Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
ntaylor90

Greetings everyone!

Got a lot done today. Timed the cams (following the pelican parts article - epic resource id be lost without it!), installed the vanos, and chucked on the sump! Made a nice coating on permatex on each side of sump gasket, seems to be a good way to go. Exciting that it's coming together nicely. Possibly aiming for an install next week, but if not it will be the week after!

Have an awesome night