318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,128 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-07-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
clex2

Default Brake light kill switch

Just completed another minor mod, again with Ron Stygar as the source of inspiration. Only difference is in the placement of the switch. Ron's pic is of a e36 coupe with the switch on the right lower console. Mine is placed just behind the hazzard switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	e36_sunroof_one_touch_3.gif Views:	794 Size:	130.7 KB ID:	1720   Click image for larger version Name:	Brake LIght Kill Switch.JPG Views:	619 Size:	98.6 KB ID:	1721  
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Why a kill switch? So cops sdon't see your lights?
They see your car diving down though.

I've wanted to connect my brake lights to my park distance control.
Especially on the track.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:14 AM   #3
clex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
Why a kill switch? So cops sdon't see your lights?
They see your car diving down though.

I've wanted to connect my brake lights to my park distance control.
Especially on the track.
Yeah, that's the idea. If I have to brake hard, I *may* be able to hit this button while I'm slowing down so hitting the brakes is not so obvious. My car doesn't dive much, at least it's not going to be as obvious as a Suburban. Then again, I may never use it. Just wanted to to it, that's all.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Phil Marx

In Virginia, passing through radar with your brake lights illuminated can be considered probable cause for stopping, checking, and ticketing for a radar detector (which are illegal in VA), even if you've burned off enough speed not to get a speeding ticket. I've installed plenty of kill switches for customers over the years but on non-ti's I just used the Euro fog-light switch making the rear fog button function as the brake-light kill. It also would activate the check panel on the MID if you were to brake without lights, letting you know your brake lights were not operational (similar to an E30/E28 brake check) should you forgot to deactivate the kill switch.

Nice mod, I like it!
Phil Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
C4-C

Hey Clex, where'd you get your molded carbon fiber center console piece at? When I got my kit, I could only find flat dash kits...
'98 ti avus blue sport / m tech trim / stock M44 / real carbon fiber dash kit / m pedals / One piece head lights / cali top / custom 10" sub box / 10" xtant sub / xtant 1.1i amp / passenger side 7" screen installed in sun visor / pioneer avic-n1 / 18" mille miglia 11-3 / black m3 vader seats/ Welsh Royals/

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35...1aroyalcar.gif
C4-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

clex2 or phil, do either of you have a wiring diagram for the brake light kill switch mod? i could guess how to do it, but i might as well just use what people have already done? you could email it to me if you prefer that. TIA
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
clex2 or phil, do either of you have a wiring diagram for the brake light kill switch mod? i could guess how to do it, but i might as well just use what people have already done? you could email it to me if you prefer that. TIA
when I did mine I just cut the wire going into the brake light switch. I ran the wire to a two position (dual on) switch and ran one of the outputs back to the the back switch and the other output to a red led to make sure I don't forget to turn the brake lights back on.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
clex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4-C
Hey Clex, where'd you get your molded carbon fiber center console piece at? When I got my kit, I could only find flat dash kits...
C4-C,

My center console is custom wrapped in CF. I've never seen one "mass" produced. There are a number of people out there who will custom wrap anything you want.

Cali-ti, the wiring is like GDB said, but if you want a diagram, I can email you one. PM me your email address so I can attach a file to you.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
aceyx

I thought that Ron put the kill switch in the parking brake button in his ti.

I'd love the schematic too if you get the chance.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
clex2

The diagram is not really important. Just find the wires going to your brake light switch (located near the brake pedal arm) and splice a switch into one of the wires that will open the circuit when you want to kill the lights.

*the information posted here is just that, information. I do not condone the use of this information unscrupulous activity. It can be used to increase the life of the brake light bulb filaments and wires when appyling the brakes for prolonged periods of time while stopped in a safe loaction.*

After haviong said that, the switch I used is the rear child saftey lock switch from the 4 door e36. I got the switch and it's harness from a wrecked car. I included pics of the internals of the switch, which is a wierd one. There are 6 pins on the back, divided into two identical circuits of 3 pins(1,2,3 and 4,5,6). Pins 1-2 and 5-6 are always connnected regardless of button position. So I will call 1 and 2 just 12 and 5-6 just 56 for simplicity. When not pressed, the button closes the circiut on pin 12-3 and 56-4 and when pressed, opens the circiut (breaks connection) on those pins.

I took the button apart, got some more 90 degree female pin connectors from the dealer and basically connected the 1-6 and 3-4 pins into two wires coming out. My thought was to have two complete circuits to handle the current, but it's probably overkill. I cut one of the brake light switch wires and splced them to the two leads off the swtich. Pretty simple. RIght now, there is no way to indicate that the brake lights have been killed. The button circuity doesn't allow for it. The button I used in not momentary. It stays depressed when pused, and a second push return the button to it's original position. I have another switch in which I removed the mechanism that keeps the button depressed, in effect making it a momentary switch. I would need to keep my finger on the button to activate the kill, and once I remove my finger, the brake light function normally. That's probably akin to Ron Stygars use of the hand brake button. I'll have to see what works better. I have to think some more about an led indicator and how to make it work with this switches circuitry. May need relay or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4178.JPG Views:	350 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	1723   Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4181.JPG Views:	328 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	1724   Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4183.JPG Views:	340 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	1725  

Old 05-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
when I did mine I just cut the wire going into the brake light switch. I ran the wire to a two position (dual on) switch and ran one of the outputs back to the the back switch and the other output to a red led to make sure I don't forget to turn the brake lights back on.
pic of the switch and maybe a quick diagram of how you wired up the LED (one end to switch, other end to ground or where)? just get the switch and sh!t shack or where?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote