318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,026,249 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
aceyx

Default Sharing what I've learned on batteries.

First, Bosch is NOT made by Bosch. It's just a licensing agreement with Pep Boys. They also have the wrong part number in their system for our cars; what they gave me is about 1.5" too wide and $40 too expensive (L84THSKY, it's not even German).

After a bit of research, I'm going to buy a Duralast.

What? Hear me out: Currently there are only 3 manufacturers of car batteries in the US. (EDIT: I later found this to be untrue; many batteries are shipped overseas.)This is important since they are rarely shipped overseas except in new cars since they are heavy and volatile, which makes shipping them stupid and dangerous.

The company that manufactures Bosch batteries is Johnson Controls International. They also make Duralast, DieHard International, and some Interstate sizes. The battery I'm replacing is a DHI, and has been in there for 8 years if not 10. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Because the Duralast comes from the same manufacturer, has the same warranty and costs $90, that is the direction I'm going (The Duralast is also rated at 700CCA where the Bosch is 670CCA). There is also the network of stores should I ever need to redeem the warranty that helps to tip the scales.

Much of this information comes from here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=616755
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I've always ran Diehards in my cars(same company) and never had any problems. I almost bought a Duralast last time, in fact when I talked to the guy at Sears, he told me the same thing you just said, but then he gave me a discount to keep the sale. If I'm not mistaken, the Duralast has the same warranty as the Diehard. So I have no doubt that the Duralast will be a good battery and for 80 bucks, you can't go wrong. Interstate and Optima batteries are good as well, but they're hard to find and are usually more expensive. Duralast and Diehards usually last at least 10 years, that's good enough for me.

Edit; I did have one problem with my Diehard though. The factory cover doesn't completely fasten down. No biggie, the cover fits over the top of the battery and stays put.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
hotmilk400

your from PA, you should have went with something local, like the Decka battery. The Decka battery i have in my car is awesome, and cheap =] my friend works at the plant and got me a discount.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
dave45056

I recently went thru the same experience. My old battery was a Die Hard International. No idea how old it was, but it died.
The ti takes a size 48 battery. It's big and heavy, but fits in the battery box perfectly (and helps offset the weight of the driver... jk )
I did a lot of research on batteries and found that the truly are made by 3 companies. But each brand made by the same company may be made to different specs. I also found that Intersate batteries are rated highest, followed by Optima, followed by Autocraft. Not sure why this is, but that's what I found. Anyway I found that Advanced Auto Parts sells Autocraft and they have a titanium battery. No it's not made of titanium, its just the name. It has a 7 year warranty, though... and if it fails within 3 years they will replace it, no questions asked. Anyway I told them Walmart has a battery with the same warant for 10 busks less, and they matched the price. So it oly ended up being 72 bucks.
I've only had it for a couple months, but so far so good. I recommend anyone in need of a battery get this one and try to get them to match Walmart's price.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Interstate and Optima batteries are good as well, but they're hard to find and are usually more expensive.
idk about Interstate, where I work a lot of cars come in with bad batteries that need replacing and a lot of them are Interstate, might be coincidence but I'm not sure

I have a Mercedes-Benz replacement battery in my ti
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
idk about Interstate, where I work a lot of cars come in with bad batteries that need replacing and a lot of them are Interstate, might be coincidence but I'm not sure

I have a Mercedes-Benz replacement battery in my ti
hmm, I've never ran an Interstate battery before, that's good info to know. I'm sure the weather plays a big factor, up where you live batteries are put to the test. I'm hoping my diehard will crank the s52 over with no problems. I just bought it a couple of months before I pulled the m44. Now a MB battery, that's just classic

Edit; cool, realoem says it will.