318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,579 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,586 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,913 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,957 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #91
jca

Love your car and your automotive philosophy. Think ever further outside the box and go for the "rat rod" look. You know you want to! Cheers, John
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #92
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
Looks like your car is doing well. Mine is similar to yours in the way that function>>>form. I am jealous of your Koni struts, exhaust, tune and wheel setups. Your Panasports with 205/50's look just right on your car. However, my Team Dynamics wheels and 205/50's look like I'm riding on donuts whenever I autocross my car. Your gas mileage doesn't look that bad, but your symptoms do sound like a bad thermostat. I would get 32mpg when I drove highway on 205/50s. Now that I'm back to stock 225/50's and doing 100% city, I'm getting 24mpg. No matter what, you can't really complain about the gas mileage.
Honestly my parts come from hours (maybe days by now) of craigslist browsing and even without me knowing it has been three years since I have had the car so it takes time lol. But I will say that I am lucky to find my two wheel setups, I still have not seen anyone with the panasports or the TRM C1's on a E36. I am also lucky that I live in a area (LA, San Diego, San Fran) were there are lots of parts that frequent craigslist, and with patience, almost anything, for any price can be found, but you do need to know what to look for and when you find it you gotta go for it fast. I have found tons of other amazing deals that I have had to let go due to funds, and also due to not needing it so it would just sit in my garage with no use and that's a waste, so I just hope that whoever picks them up will be happy and use the parts accordingly.
Thanks for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca View Post
Love your car and your automotive philosophy. Think ever further outside the box and go for the "rat rod" look. You know you want to! Cheers, John
Hahaha now that would be interesting! The reason I am going in the current direction is also due to my close personal tie to Asia, I have spent much of my youth there, and my previous car was a 240sx so I love that Japanese/canyon style that is just based on "I do it because I like it -I think its cool or different and it works! (well works for me...)" - besides the car is going to be driven, so dings and crap will eventually happen. Also I am blessed with some beautiful canyon roads in my area that allow me to stretch the 318ti legs on. I think the "rat rod" look is very unique to the U.S. and even though I look at the style and think "wow cool!" I don't have the culture background knowledge to fully understand it and do it myself - otherwise I would!

Cost/practicality aside, I would love to have a F22C in my ti. The weight of the ti is about the same as the S2000 and has a slicker body (aerodynamics), the I4 is pushed way back in the engine bay so its balanced beautifully and has that high rpm redline that just gives it the feeling of a car made to drive. The 6spd is also as crisp as can be. (I also won't go into uniqueness or keeping it as a I4, or of it being a weird reflection of how a modern s14 may of looked in a e36 ) Mostly though it would in a way be a reflection of me. European looking on the outside with a Asian heart.

Lastly... no one is making a guess on that front bumper and side skirts? What is it a replica of??

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 11-17-2014 at 08:02 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #93
anassa

Vehicles
Default No Patience! Also found a not-so-good surprise.

So this morning I had a couple hours and really wanted to at least get the front KONI's on so I set to work.

Little comparison between:
-(left)STAGG shock with a BavAuto Spring (Represents OEM length I assume)
-(middle) Adjustable Koni non-M with Eibach Sportline spring.
-(right) Bilstein non-M shock - need to check exact specs though. Has a some kind of nut on the bottom that I haven't noticed before either - for adjustment? or ease of rebuild?

*Notice the larger "center part" (technical name? for the part that goes up and down and does the absorption?) on the Bilstein.

I was planning to go with the BavAuto's for front and rear but I always felt the front was too soft, so did some searching and could only find that the spring rates for the Bavauto set is something like 200ishlbs (progressive of course) front and 380ish??lbs rear. The Eibach Sportline non-M fronts should be somewhere around 300lbs according to my research so I think that will be a better spring rate to be balanced with the rear spring rate.

Same with rear shocks:
-(left) Bilstein e30
-(middle) Brand spankin new adjustable Koni for z3m (shorter then the others)
-(right) STAGG shock (oem representative?)

I was also going to replace the rear shocks since it wouldn't take any more time until I found this little surprise:

Looks like my rear shock mount is torn. Its good quality too, (meyle) I have the reinforcement plate also. I guess this is a good warning to anyone that if you go lowered, aftermarket suspension, it is a good idea to get something more then oem replacement rear shock tower mounts, even if you have the reinforcement plate. The second I saw that I bought a set of new ones that will last me longer (bimmerbumco FTW) - I will post up when I get it - the Koni's will go on at the same time I get those new rear mounts.

Lastly, some of you may have seen the FS THREAD for the set of SSR's I bought on impulse. I have a whole set of front M3 brakes just waiting to go on for a year or so but I really want to play with the 15" TRM's w/ R888's, also I am still thinking that non-M vented with good pads should be good enough so there is no need for me to go with that large of a wheel.

SSR's are 17x8 et40 with 225/50/17 tires

I have not weighed them, they do feel pretty light for 17", I will most likely do that tomorrow - and do a comparison to the Panasports and TRM's (of the weight).

A few pics of how they look on the car:
(back to my old cracked lens cell phone, so bad quality.)

They fit fine, drive smooth, but I think 16" with et 25-23 is just the right size for a compact with a 50 sidewall, perfect mix of tire meat and wheel.

Even more important:
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 11-26-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:48 AM   #94
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
I have not weighed them, they do feel pretty light for 17", I will most likely do that tomorrow - and do a comparison to the Panasports and TRM's (of the weight).
So I apoligize for taking longer to weigh the wheels, but its been done. I only could weigh them with the tires though

-SSR 17x8 w/ 225/50/17 ~42.5lbs

Comparison:
-Style 104 16x7. w/ 225/50/16 potenza runflats ~ 43lbs
-Panasports 16x7 w/ 205/50/16 ~ 37.6lbs
-TRM 15x8 w/ 205/50/15 Toyo R888 ~32.1lbs

Its not that great of comparison because of the tires, wear on the tires vary + air anyway its just a bit of a comparison. The SSR's are definitely on the lighter side though for them to be 1" wider and taller then the OEM Style 104's with more rubber and still be a bit or the same weight.

I had completely forgotten that I some of that green home depot spray paint left, so I put it to use on the new bumper and side skirts! (Still waiting for someone to guess what they are a replica of..)

And FINALLY! I got to plastidip spray the Panasport's metallic copper:

I am very curious to how its going to look all together, but hopefully by the weekend I will have pics up!

Even more important:
Old 12-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #95
anassa

Vehicles
Default Alt/T-Stat/rear suspension

Moving forward!

So I have been having to jump my car for a week now, my alternator is completely dead, so I found a refurnished Valeo one.

OLD VS NEW:

Damage:

So it seems that one of the terminals that has the wire was broken on the inside, when I tried to wrench it off it twisted the whole thing and fatigued the metal:

I could of had the new alternator in by now, but I gotta fix that first, that will hopefully be done tomorrow.

Since my Thermostat was stuck open I had also gotten from ECS a new thermostat with brass bleeder screw:

Old OEM one:

Honestly I don't know if I should be amazed or angry with BMW, those side clips are just plastic clips, the design just doesn't seem smart, on the other hand it looks like the OEM piece and if so, it has lasted roughly 150xxx miles, which is pretty darn good.

Oh ya!

Picked up some AKG rear shock tower mounts from Bimmerbum, a bit slow with the shipping but we worked it out, good guy. Quality for the rear shock tower mounts look very nice.

Assembled:

I did have to sand off the paint, and add some grease, to be able to have the middle metal sleeve of the AKG rear mount to fit-

So she just sits:

Goal is to have all the random stuff that I have put off, to get it all done by the weekend, and be canyon worthy again.

Even more important:
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #96
frink84

nice work man!

bumper guess out of left field: racing dynamics?
frink84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #97
MINIz guy

Vehicles

I'm guessing you didn't buy the M3 sedan now that you're doing more work on your car?

My car mirror yours in a lot of ways, especially since your SSR's look like my Team Dynamics wheels. They're both green, have a bunch of handling parts, and have a front bumper that doesn't match the rest of the car's paint. I treat mine like a beater though. I've only washed it twice since owning it for 1.5 years.

Your car looks good! I think it's time for you to switch over to a adjustable coilover suspension and stop playing around with different stock springs.

2000 M5 -> 1996 318ti -> 1997 328i
Instagram: ndrewchow YouTube: MINIzguy
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #98
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
nice work man! bumper guess out of left field: racing dynamics?
Thanks!

Nice try on the guess, but nope! Keep trying though

Its a very well known company, if I say it people will immediately recognize it so that would be too boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
I'm guessing you didn't buy the M3 sedan now that you're doing more work on your car? My car mirror yours in a lot of ways, especially since your SSR's look like my Team Dynamics wheels. They're both green, have a bunch of handling parts, and have a front bumper that doesn't match the rest of the car's paint. I treat mine like a beater though. I've only washed it twice since owning it for 1.5 years. Your car looks good! I think it's time for you to switch over to a adjustable coilover suspension and stop playing around with different stock springs.
Ya the ///M is cool and all, but the combo of auto with no maintenance records and salvage title, (even though it was clean, and engine was quite and smooth as can be) especially the auto part just doesn't seem worth it to me. Besides its I still love the combo of MPG+practicallity+fun that I get from the ti.

Also I may have grown attached to it over the last three years. I would love to get from ground control a coilover sleeve/conversion set its like 450, but I don't have 450 to spend now. The only reason I have played around with the springs so much is they always come with the used socks that I have found for cheap. Besides what I really want is rear adjust-ability of toe and camber so I can drop it evenly to get rid of the rake.

On other news:

New Alternator is in!

Everything is back in place so it will be on the road tomorrow!

I slid the new bumper on to see how it looks, so here is a little sneak peak of how the new bumper looks:

I really like it, and can't want wait to see how it is once its all secured and out on the road. The "copper metallic" color on the wheels seem to fit the green pretty well too - I will try to get decent pictures to post up in the following days.

Even more important:

Last edited by anassa; 02-21-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #99
frink84

oh oh oh! BBS!
frink84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #100
eurohb

Vehicles

wow!! where did you get the acs bumper?!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #101
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurohb View Post
wow!! where did you get the acs bumper?!
Post #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by frink84 View Post
oh oh oh! BBS!
Thanks for playing! But seems like bryan is is the winner!

So not much has happened, I did not mount the ACS rep bumper due to my hesitation on part of the design. I will mention it when I post a full picture of the front and what I mean.

Its not like absolutely nothing has happened. FINALLY! I had a couple good clean canyon runs with the C1's and R888, and the bucket seat properly mounted.

The drive was amazing!! Those tires grip like nothing else I have had before and the lighter weight wheels/ smaller diameter, and bucket seat to hold me in, I was able to drive at a completely different pace then before.

I met a 350whp EVOX, that pulled on me on straits as if I was sitting still but with the road being mostly tighter turns I had no problem sitting right behind him. While driving behind him I got a free show of flames that would shoot out of the exhaust once in a while. I am pretty confident that if I led the run I would be able to outrun him, but the show was worth it! I also do have to admit that if we were on a road that he was more familiar with he would have dusted me.

Along with the EVO X there was also a 370z with TE37s and very grippy Hankook tires. I was only able to run with the EVOX, and was disappointed when I was not able to run with the 370z. After chatting a little I found out the gentleman was a actual professional driver named Will from wwr-racing.com . Needless to say he was on a completely different level, and if I tried to run with him I highly doubt I would of been able to see those taillights for long .

The night in the canyon turned out great with some good runs, good people, and no mechanical problems. Loved it!

Even more important:
Old 02-21-2015, 02:46 AM   #102
anassa

Vehicles
Default Better Canyon Trim pictures.

Got a few better pictures of my "canyon ready" ti

My cockpit:

Last night I went for a second night of fun. It was again a very good night other then some moron dumping oil on some of corners. Luckily the way I usually drive wasn't dumped on. But honestly its the dumbest thing I have seen, super dangerous, for anyone who during the day or night drives in the canyon, whether on a bicycle, bike, commuter car or enthusiast. I wish I took a pictures, but needless to say I was not too happy.

Even more important:
Old 02-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #103
anassa

Vehicles
Default Proof of two good nights of canyon fun

Proof of two good nights!!

To be honest the one that is all the way worn down started off a bit more worn on that side already, so it was to be expected.

Even more important:
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #104
anassa

Vehicles
Default Finally!! ACS rep mounted with city lights.

So finally some decent pictures of the bronze wheels with ACS rep bumper and cool looking city lights. (thanks kitty!)

So, result? YES? NO?

Even more important:

Last edited by anassa; 02-21-2015 at 03:00 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 AM   #105
anassa

Vehicles
Default Bumper Comparison

So the reason for my hesitation with mounting the ACS style bumper was due to air flow to the radiator.

As you can see, the OEM bumper and M3 rep there is plenty of room for the air to get through and cool the radiator, but for some reason ACS decided to have that middle part blocked in their design. I am also not sure if my rad fan is even turning on at this point. But at the same time the time the rad fan is effective is at stand still or below 20mph or something so that wouldn't have anything to do with the bumper. The bumper style would only effect cooling at normal driving speeds, so I am giving it a go. I don't think it will be a problem, but its just something that I thought of.

Even more important: