318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,023,993 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
PettitWC

Default Better Gas mileage trick?

You guys ever heard of this?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517...as_mileage_2x/

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

It's worth a shot, why not. I'll try it tomorrow. 2oz to 10gal of gas. I don't think it could harm anything. I know acetone is used in high-pressure acetylene tanks to stabilize the ions and prevent the tank from overheating and blowing up when you're welding. Also FWIW, acetone is used as fingernail polish remover, paint thinner and a bunch of other stuff. It's sold in plastic containers, so I don't see it harming any of the plastic components in your fuel system.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Wikipedia entry for acetone

Be sure to read the "Toxicology" section at the bottom.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
PettitWC

"Acetone is an irritant and inhalation may lead to hepatotoxic effects (causing liver damage). The vapors should be avoided. In no circumstance should it be consumed directly or indirectly. Always use goggles when handling acetone; it can cause permanent eye damage (corneal clouding)."

awesome.

i've never seen that mythbusters episode and I thought I'd just about every one

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Marv17

so who's gonna try it first?? i'd like to see the results if it really does help out on the mpg.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
elchicano

Yea i'll like to see too, lets us know if you see a difference whoever does it.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Will'sBimmer

yes someone should do this. i know on my last out of town trip i got 32.5 mpg. which is pretty good without any help. Correct tire pressure helps a lot. But if i could increase my gas mileage by 10mpg just by adding 2oz of acetone to the tank. Well that would be amazing to get 42 mpg. I will admit I would be a little nervous about doing this to my car, seeing as I am low on money right now and if something broke..........well I would be without a car and without money I couldn't get it fixed. Somebody let me know if they try this and come out with good results.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
PettitWC

do it!!!!

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
adamud

I'll do it!! Not in the ti, but I'll give it a try in my trucks. If I can get into the double digits with my trucks, I'll be the happiest man at the gas station for at least 10mins That is until I have to throw away $80
adamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Marv17

alright. sweet. let us know how it works out. cuz if it does work. sh!t. ill be putting at least 1.5oz to 2 oz in the tank to get better mgp.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'll do it in my ti, but I don't have an accurate way to calculate gas mileage. I have a little under half a tank of gas in the car right now, but without knowing exactly how much is in there I won't be able to give an accurate calculation. Next weekend I'll be going down to West Covina for my niece's B-day party, so I'll run the tank as close to empty as I can before then. I'll do 5gal to 1oz and post the results for you guys. I wish I had one of those "scan-gauges" that the guy in the vid used.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
adamud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
I'll run the tank as close to empty as I can before then.
When the orange light comes on how much gas is left? I'm never anywhere near a gas station to find out. And it seems that it goes by so quick...

And for the acetone testing, I will be using quiktrip gasoline octane 87. Probably around 2 oz. for every 10gal.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
DJ Skillz 187

This was tested before (I think it was Popular Mechanics, but I'm not sure), and it was proved to do nothing for gas mileage.

But if you do decide to try it, be careful.. use a funnel. It'll eat your paint.
DJ Skillz 187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Will'sBimmer

maybe the gas companies got to popular mechanics and paid them off. i smell something fishy here. lol o wait thats the fish i am cooking in the kitchen. off to go eat.

o and adamud. the gas does seem to go away pretty quickly when the light comes on but actually u can still get about 20 miles from ur gas tank. it slows down once it gets close to the line. i have noticed my fuel gauge always stays around the lines for a long time but when it comes to the middle area it goes quick. dotn know why. but watch urs next time it is getting to the half way mark and notice how long it will stay around there but once it hits the middle it goes faster.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
adamud

Thanks Will, I'll keep an eye on that

As for the acetone, I started it today. The mpg in my truck before the fill was 11.4!!! I have never gotten that high of mpg in the city before so I was fairly shocked. Its usually around 9mpg. I put 5oz. of actone in the gas tank first and then filled the tank up. I used 5oz. because my truck has the capacity to hold 25.5gal, so 1oz. for every 5 gals. Now we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully by Wednesday I'll have a quarter of a tank gone. I know that I used to get ~70mi every quarter of tank.