318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,891 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Will'sBimmer

Default *New* Headlights w/Angel Eyes and HID's

I bought some new headlights for the Ti since I still had the stock ones. I must say that they are a huge improvement both visually and perfromance wise. I got them from a store on ebay after shopping around at ddmtuning and ebay. The ones I got were Depo with CCFL Angel Eyes and Xenon H.I.D.'s They look and work amazing. Very easy to install. They only problem I had was getting the driver's side light to fit with my CAI in the way. So I had to make some modifications to it. But everything fits now and is all working. I only have one picture so far and it shows the passenger light compared to the old driver's light.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Will'sBimmer

Here are some pics of the new headlight compared to the old. i will get some more pics of the lights later on but right now it is raining.

custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
madfronter

Looks so much better!

Current mods...18" staggered CSL reps, ZHP shift knob,
BavAuto lowering springs, Bilstein sports, fogged airbox,
Dinan ECU upgrade, mtech front bumper, mirrors and
side moldings, DEPO headlights, tinted windows,
JL Audio 12w3v2s, Phoenix Gold ZX350...
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

How much did this set-up cost?

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Your car's coming along quite nicely Will. Keep it up!
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

looks good, what kind of modifications did you have to do to the headlight? I've been told my Dinan intake won't clear the projector headlights either
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
MacUser

1. I like the stock ones better. The new ones are clear, not hazy/foggy like the originals. OK, I'm kidding. I need to get some new headlights for my ti.

2. What was the cost?

3. Will a stock ti have clearance issues with these, too?

4. What eBay seller?

5. What was the cost? (Yeah, I know I asked twice, but it's important and you didn't answer the first person who asked).

6. Awesome-looking!
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
SNOWti
Banned

I LOVE those old ones. I see foggy lamps and think McGuires Plastic X with a microfiber and back to OG!

HID LED headlights are extremely trendy right now. Even old bad ugly GM thunder trucks whatever those are are HIDd and when driving, its a huge problem when facing them to make a turn or simply driving against people that have them. I mean, its not an airport... I dont get it. I simply do not get the need for people to use super bright 4... 6 sets of lights in front. Its dangerous. Angel Eyes are fine though especially in daylight as their are a good visual deterrent in traffic so you can be seen, but NOT annoying or eye damaging like the stadium headlights contraptions people install on their mediocre cars. Jeez.

Last edited by SNOWti; 12-24-2009 at 12:46 PM.
SNOWti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWti View Post
Even old bad ugly GM thunder trucks whatever those are are HIDd and when driving, its a huge problem when facing them ... I dont get it.
I empathize with you. But ... in any place that has a high concentration of Virginia deer, like Virginia and several other Mid-Atlantic and Midwest states, you really need illumination at night to try to see them ASAP. My Honda Element "caught" two last year ... it's book value is the only thing that saved it. I suspect they would have totaled my 318ti in that situation. Now, in Los Angeles, I doubt there are many Virginia deer there. Maybe you have something else? Illegal border crossers, perhaps???

Just last night, I saw a HUGE white donut come flying onto the road. I wish I had brighter lights so I could have seen it sooner. It really freaked me out. Kids were riding it down a steep hill beside a busy road with heavy tractor-trailer traffic 24/7/365. Luckily, they had sense enough to bail before they ended up in the road.
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
pdxmotorhead

The issue is installing HID bulbs in housings without glare cones.
HID NEEDS to be in a projector or shrouded bucket to work correctly.
Installing them in a old school housing should be grounds for a beat down...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
SNOWti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
I empathize with you. But ... in any place that has a high concentration of Virginia deer, like Virginia and several other Mid-Atlantic and Midwest states, you really need illumination at night to try to see them ASAP. My Honda Element "caught" two last year ... it's book value is the only thing that saved it. I suspect they would have totaled my 318ti in that situation. Now, in Los Angeles, I doubt there are many Virginia deer there. Maybe you have something else? Illegal border crossers, perhaps???

Just last night, I saw a HUGE white donut come flying onto the road. I wish I had brighter lights so I could have seen it sooner. It really freaked me out. Kids were riding it down a steep hill beside a busy road with heavy tractor-trailer traffic 24/7/365. Luckily, they had sense enough to bail before they ended up in the road.
The illegal border crossers are the ones that put stadium lights on their cars! That was brutally funny. I can tell you stories, we dont have deers in L.A. we have those types that dangerously also jump in your way, lane or do some seriously stupid maneuvers. That Im serious about. I have no hesitation telling you about how awful some certain people drive.

Coincidently, in my silver ti I actually went up to a wooded community to pick something I had bought, it was in a gated community in the valley, I think, it was Encino, the hills up the mountain sort of, anyway, I was going up this long wide street at night and just maybe a cars length ahead of me jumped a deer. Huge man. I was like damn, if I was in more of a rush... hopped from my left to right, right in front of me. Since then I've been no effing woodsy driving roads! Note to self - ask if there are deers next time you go to venturing to any new areas.

SO, I completely understand and agree that in cases such as that or in rural areas and deer dangers. So with you on that. In my case, here in Loss Anheless, I'd use those types of light with switches so when I find myself in that situation, I want stadium lights. The are deer sirens you know as well. I may actually have to buy something like that, maybe it can save other little creatures. I once hit a cat once, total accident, it was heartbreaking. I wont go into details... held the cat as it faded away.

Last edited by SNOWti; 12-24-2009 at 10:10 PM.
SNOWti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
looks good, what kind of modifications did you have to do to the headlight? I've been told my Dinan intake won't clear the projector headlights either
Sorry for the long wait for answers I have been working in the studio and at my job for like over 24 hours straight now. Anyways to the answers.

They cost me 311 dollars which included shipping. i bought them from a member on ebay who sells them. RedcometM3. just search for e36 headlights and u will find him. He has different setups too. Good prices also.

A stock Ti will not have a problem with installing these headlights. They are easy to install since they are plug in play and the only thing that needs splicing are the angel eyes and it is just one wire. DDM tuning has a pdf file that shows u everything u need to know.

To Cooljess: Thanks man! I am trying to get it up to par with the rest of you guys.

To Ti Freak: I will take pictures of what I did but basically my CAI had to move and I had to cut the CAI tube to make it shorter. I will take some pics for you and explain it more in detail of how I made it work but it will work.

If anyone else has questions just ask. I will have more pictures up asap of the lights on and the mods I did to the CAI.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Mr.Squeelerz

Always a nice upgrade as long as the quality is good. Looks much better.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
StealthBimmer

The new headlight looks good on the ti. It's always a good improvement in lighting with HID in them. It has the projector in the housing so just need to aim them right. Keep up the good work and post up some more pics for us to see!

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
KINGAMR

Looking good Will,keep it up!
KINGAMR is offline   Reply With Quote