318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,918 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,890 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,301 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 132,405 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
AdamBeevers

Default Adams 98 TI (Cheap winter skidder)

Soooo... didnt fancy running my Zetec S Fiesta through winter with fancy wheels, plus the mileage is creeping up rapidly so decided on Saturday I wanted a cheap toy, next day I viewed an E36 Compact 318ti. 91K on the clock and had it on the ramp and doesn't need any work for the MOT, bargain! AND no rust!! Everything works!

No proper pictures yet, but you get the idea.

Bled the clutch and brakes, they're both 10x better now especially the clutch!
Got a load of service bits to fit tomorrow but done the plugs tonight to save time tomorrow. Runs much smoother now as was a bit lumpy before! One of the plugs had a crack in too!

Car literally has nothing wrong with it! All bushes are ok at the moment, only thing starting to go is a front shock but suspension will be swapped shortly.

Also rerouted the HT leads as they were all messy and I know its a small detail, but I notice it when you lift the bonnet.

The next update was that the car passed the MOT smoothly, woohoo! Then having issues with taxing it as the law now states a car has to be insured, ballache.

Also fitted a new auxiliary belt as the last one was shot and didn't fancy risking a breakdown! Was a blooming tight squeeze without removing the fan but managed it in the end!

Got tax sorted in the end luckily.

Woke up yesterday and got some motivation to do some work... started the day with this...

Then saw a Mtech bumper pop up on facebook for peanuts so grabbed that, needs a clean/polish and a quick bit of paint on the lower half (photos dont show it very well) but for the money I paid, give a **** haha.

And of course, a quick sticker for more power, init.

Enjoy. More updates to come soon.
AdamBeevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
AdamBeevers

Cars needing some suspension tweeks, its a death trap at the moment plus OSR top mount is being a noisy bugger since giving the car some ****.

Should be attending a local 'drift night' on Wednesday, shall try get a video or photos or something, not that it will be that interesting as it will be first time attending.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
zoner

Looking good so far!

For some silly reason, I would love to do a RHD conversion on a US spec. car, just to be different.

1995 318ti Base - Cosmosschwarz/Sandgrau R.I.P.
1997 318ti Active - Alpinweiß III/Sandgrau
2013 328i Coupe - Le Mans Blau
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
AdamBeevers

Haha that's erm, odd. Not sure of the differences if I'm honest?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
AdamBeevers

Nothing major as I'm so skint, wahhh.

New wheels picked up for pennies, cars been all over the road with all tyres on the limit so thought I'd sort it. So yeah, got grip now!

Matchams wednesday (local track) so shall do tracking tomorrow during my lunch break Fingers crossed it isnt all seized up!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
AdamBeevers

So last night was my first drift event, on a open diff so by ideal but great fun non the less! Videos will be up soon, plowed a few cones, broke a few things but nothing serious. Anyone with a spare fan it would be much appreciated if you got in touch ahah!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
AdamBeevers

Right, time to talk about last night in a bit more detail. Videos are in the middle of uploading but the internets going at snails pace.

Arrived at my local track, Matchams. Quickly swapped onto my spare steels and joined the quee to get out on the track. Now at this point i hadnt seen the track at all, didnt know the layout or anything. Anywho, pulled away and attempted the first corner straight off the line haha, straight away realised tyre pressures weren't right, was constantly fighting understeer.

First round managed to loose it and plow some cones down which got stuck under the car so after jumping out and ripping it back out, I carried on. Once I got back into the pits, i realised i had smashed a fair bit of pointless plastic rubbish off the front and bottom of the car. Annoyingly I also snapped a load of thins off the fan, not ideal when cooling is a possible problem as it is with this sort of driving.

I then lowered the front tyre pressures and raised the rears a wee bit. And hit the track again, understeer was much better, bearing in mind standard suspension currently and open diff.

The second round went relatively smoothly, which then moved onto the third round. By this point i was really getting the hang of the track and a feel for things. Sadly i got a bit carried away and ended up fish tailing one side of the track and mowed down yet more cones, lucky on the side of the car this time rather than the front. Some how caught the front fog light during this though which was sadly taken casualty.

Great thing with an open diff, didn't have to change my tyres at all! Although the inside tyre was certainly on the low side...

Anyway, great night and a great bunch of people attending. Videos and photos will be up soon
Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
AdamBeevers

Anddddddd. Its misfiring, possible coil pack. Think after the event on Wednesday the coil pack took a smashing, many cracks on it.. grabbing one off a mate tomorrow, fingers crossed it cures it.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
AdamBeevers

So coilpacks not at fault, got a code reader on it and its crank sensor, fuuuu. Its a Sunday and everywhere's closed, so currently trying to find a used one to get me going! Stressful!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
AdamBeevers

So, yet more updates. Where to start... Matchams went well, even with an open diff. Had to play around with tyre pressures to avoid understeer but overall was good fun. Ate some cones which caused a bit of damage to the front end including the fan but hey ho all in good fun eh!

Also managed to give the car the last bits of the service, oil and filter change, fuel filter etc. Sadly been suffering with a misfire, codes showing crank sensor issues. So tried a second hand one, still the same. Then whilst the car was running I played with the wire and it cut out, butchered one of the sensors so I could see if it was repairable, it would appear that the insulation has gone brittle with age and is splitting/cracking/turning to dust. So highly recommend anyone who hasn't replaced theirs yet, to do so ASAP. My cars only done 91K and is playing up!

I also managed to pick up lots of goodies over the weekend whilst trying to track down a spare crank sensor which I'll get photos of soon. Also have videos from Matchams once I can get them to upload!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
AdamBeevers

New sensor arrived today and got it fitted. No misfiring although still lumpy on idle, may be down to the fan missing 3 fins and unbalancing it plus a mullered engine mount.

Decided to give the car a jet wash off too, annoyingly blasted a load of the paint off too. Someone had set the jet washer to a rather high temperature, gr!

Also while fitted the new sensor, I noticed that my front wheels had rubbed through the paint on the inner arches, which would explain why one of the arch liners got ripped out on the last drift event I done. So now getting lower profiles on the front as once the cars lowered this will become more of an issue. Shall also take the wing off and clean everything up and underseal it.

Until next time.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
AdamBeevers

Can a MOD move this to the track, auto X etc section please.

So some tarty stuff... new rear lights on.. got them cheap whilst hunting down a spare sensor, which didnt even work!

and the marks from the front wheel rubbing the inner arch.. all protected now!

Cheers!