318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #1
LilBimmer

My "Check Engine" light has been on for a week so I just took it into this local shop that says they specialize in German makes. Thay told that the code is calling for a new "front " oxygen sensor. They say there are two, one front and one rear. I didn't realize that there were two because the service manual calls for a new oxygen sensor every 100K miles.

I just want to make sure that what they're telling me is true and these guys are legit. Does this sound about right? Is this something that can be replaced by me?

I have a 1997 Active with less than 50K. Any input would be helpful!
LilBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:33 AM   #2
Teno

Same problem happen to me! My 318TI has 70,000 miles. Any idea on the cost of this repair? Can a local mechanic do it? Or does it need to go to the dealer? Thanks! Joan
Teno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
J!m

Vehicles

There are two sensors on the ti (don't feel bad: the M3 has FOUR ).

the 'front' sensor as he calls it is in the exhaust manifold, probably easiest to get from underneath. the 'rear' is in the head pipe, further down stream, about at the centerline of the front and rear wheels.

Basically, just un-plug it, unscrew it, put hi-temp. never-seez (typically copper-type) on the threads of the new one, screw it in, plug it in, have the fault codes re-set.

Not brain surgery, but sometimes they can be a bitch to remove. If your's is not cooperating, spray with WD-40 (or whatever you prefer) and let is soak for a few hours. Keep it wet with the penetrant. Then attack it again.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
LilBimmer

Thanks J!M. I'll give it a shot.
LilBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:56 AM   #5
mrnine

A couple oxygen sensor questions:

1) Is it really helpful to have the tool for removal? Can it be done reasonably without it (using wd-40 or other penetrating oil as above)? Will a normal wrench work? I've checked 'em out, but not closely.

2) I found a deal for $182 for both. (http://www.eap4parts.com) That seems reasonable when I comparison shop. Cheaper than bavauto or anywhere else. Unless anyone else can suggest a better deal, I'll assume that's pretty good.
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
J!m

Vehicles

It depends on how siezed the ba$tard is...

Sometimes an open-end wrench is all you need, other times, God himself is found wanting.

A box-end six-point wrench is probably the best thing, IF you can get it in there. After you un-plug it, slip the wrench on. Next may be a flare-nut crow's foot. I have not needed the 'special' tool (6-point socket with slot in the side) yet myself, I can usually find another tool/way to do it.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
simo2k

hi when you say there are two oxygen sensors in the exhaust one is usually pre cat and one after cat there is only one pre cat sensor on my 98 ti but like jim says a usual 22mm open end spanner should shift it
quit easy to do

just a question for you guys in the states what do you think of mac tools over snap-on, im a technician here in the uk and buy a bit of both but not much difference to me just that mac is abit cheaper ?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

I'm a bit biased, as I am a third generation Snap-On tool user, but I have tried them all.

I have the most trouble breaking Snap-On tools, which is why I choose them, but I break them all. I actually have some Snap-On tools that were my Grandfather's, still in use!!

I work in my own shop, so the truck does not visit me, I go to the truck. Snap-On is convenient for me as well, since he lives a few miles away. (I get a slight discount from my guy since he sold to my dad for years as well)

I also have a Matco tool distributor at an equal distance from my house, but those tools are REALLY crap, and I refuse to use them. The few Mac tools I have left seem fine, but I did not like the sharpish edges on the wrenches, which get uncomfortable after a while (I have purged all the Mac wrenches from my tool collection for this reason).

I WILL NOT buy a Snap-On tool box. They are nice, but HORRIBLY overpriced. I suggest Lista for tool storage, as they make the best storage solutions (IMO) bar none.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #9
simo2k

i must agree with you on the spanners and storage boxes i have a mac storage box at the mo it cost me 1200 squid not as well built as snap-on but its just for storage. also i bet snap-on and mac tools take an advantage in this country cos we get taxed and vat to the max i get paid £450 a week and mot cars as well and get bloody taxed £130 of it

mind you i suppose it beats living in a dodgy country..

ps: have you watched that fahrenheit 9/11 yet, well dodgy if the film is authentic.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #10
J!m

Vehicles

Have not seen that flick yet...

See if you can get Lista boxes over there. They look european, but are American made. In spite of this inherent flaw, they are the $hit.

Construction is better quality with heavier material, drawer dividers are easily installed, drawers are modular, so you can arrange them any way you want, custom colors are no problem, etc.

I had a small one where I used to work, and it worked well, even after being hit by a fork-lift. I don't think any other box made will withstand that abuse...
Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 AM   #11
bimmerboi318

if im correct, 95 ti's (OBD-1) have one, pre cat O2 sensor. the OBD-2 96 and later ti's have 2. one pre cat sensor and one after the cat for the catalyst efficiency monitor. im only assuming the 96 and later ti's have 2, as i've only been under my ti which is a 95. but im pretty sure that most OBD-2 systems use sensors before and after the cat.

yes they can be a real pain (major understatement) to get out. seeing mine though, it doesnt seem like space will be an issue, so a regular wrench SHOULD be ok. on the topic of tools, snap-on makes a really nice O2 sensor wrench that has a pivoting head and everything, for a mere 80 bucks or so (sarcasm).

i usually deal with snap-on since the truck stops by every monday. and i did buy a nice box from him that was part of a scratch and dent sale. unnoticable dent and the box was half price. but otherwise, yeah, extremely overpriced.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #12
simo2k

the only reason i said that my 98 ti has only got 1 pre cat o2 sensor is cause i had to replace my cat not so long ago as the ceramic broke up inside and rattling. not bad though as it is only the first real repair i have had to do since owning the car. gotta say i love bmw cars lol..
Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #13
l3etamax

Default fault codes re-set

How do you go about doing a fault codes re-set? Do you have to go to a shop?
l3etamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #14
aceyx

autozone and similar stores generally have a free tool rental policy. while not the best stuff, generally does the job and beats paying for tools you barely use (pullers, etc).

other brands of tools i've liked is facom (supplier to ferrari race teams) and stanley-proto.

betamax; if somebody near you has a code reader it can usually do a reset as well.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
Buttercup

I have 2 questions...

1. When the oxygen sensor gets replaced at 100,000 miles, does that mean both of them should be replaced? (I have a 96, so I have 2). If not, which one?

2. To do a fault codes reset, is that the same as resetting the codes after doing an oil change?
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote