318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 961,940 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,887 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-18-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
CirrusSR22

Default Oil Pan Drain Stripped :(

Ever since I got my car a little over a year ago, I noticed the oil drain plug would not go in smoothly all the way. It would do like 4 full easy rotations, then get a bit firm for a half turn, then get easy again for the remainder. So I knew something wasn't right, but it never seems like too much of a problem

Well they finally gave out this time. I did a normal change and when I tried to put the plug in, it would not go in at all. I looked closely and I could pick out 2 full revolutions of thread with a micro screwdriver! So basically it wasn't cross-threaded, but I guess from overtorqueing it, the aluminium threads just ripped themselves out. Anyways, I used the microscrew driver to clean up the hole and I got the plug in cleanly and torqued to spec as I always do.

*You never know what you're gonna get with a used car!

An oil pan is >$300 and with labor it would probably be $800 total. I was also thinking of taking it to a shop and having it drilled and helicoiled, or just have it drilled and tapped with a bigger thread size, like 14mm.

But I think my solution is gonna be to buy a top-side oil extractor/vacuum.

It may be not the most thorough means, but it'll do the job. Did some research on www.bimmerforums.com and people seem to say they do an awesome job and extract a lot of oil. Whether it leaves residue or "sludge" at the bottom of the pan is still debatable.

No questions here. I just needed to vent a bit and write something for the archives
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
nick_hegel

Sorry to hear that CirrusSR22! I had a problem with my drain plug when I had a Valvoline do an oil change on my it. Some elderly retard broke the drain plug off and let me drive off in it. A few days passed and I noticed I was leaving oil stains everywhere. I went back to another Valvoline and they fixed it free! Good luck!
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
CirrusSR22

Geesh! Did the head snap off? I've read elsewhere that the drain plugs are designed to break before the pan strips.

I'm pretty sure the previous owner used a quick-lube type place, because the oil filter I originally pulled out was from Korea

They probably give the wrench a nice hard tug on all the drain plugs and send'em out the door. I really don't trust those places.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Mothman

Vehicles

Hummm.... wonder if the Jiffy Tech (yea right!) did that to my car. I did notice a few days after getting an oil change I started driping really bad. How high up is that screw?
Mothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

drain plug is the lowest possible spot on the oil pan. did you check around your oil filter mothman?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #6
Mothman

Vehicles

No I need to get a flat area and lift my car up. Really afraid to get under a car while it's jaked up, lost two family members that way. Thier car just rolled off the jack and the brace mounts was not strong enough to stop it. =8o(
I think If I do get under it I would need a 2'x3' piece of lumber on both ends to protect me.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Mothman

Vehicles

I was changing my tire on the freeway once and this CHP stop to see if I was ok, and without warning my car just rolled off the jack. I had the E brakes on and everything. Both the CHP and I Caught the car and was able to put roll her back on top the jack mount. (Wheew!) We both thought it was weird! He looked in my car and saw that my E brake was all the way up. I just shruged my shoulders.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
pdxmotorhead

Jack stands are natures way of reinforcing Darwin's Theories.
Don't use them and you prove him right.

As my old High School shop teacher used to say.
"I've never heard a jack apologize for failure."

I've had no less than 5 jacks fail in my lifetime on cars I'm working on.
2 of them were 1500 dollar proffesional models.

Even Harbour Freights 20 dollar a pair jackstand specials are fine.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

btw mothman, you won't need a jack or jack stands to check your oil filter. open hood, look in
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
GDB

I had a stripped drain plug when I got my car. I pulled the old plug out and JB welded in a Fram quick drain plug. I've been using that ever since with no problems.
I am leary of topside changers because it seems to me like they would leave more residue and gunk in the bottom of the oil pan than a conventional oil change would.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
nick_hegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
Geesh! Did the head snap off? I've read elsewhere that the drain plugs are designed to break before the pan strips.
Well I had the oil changed by my work up in NE mpls. This is where the old fart broke the plug as he was taking it out. The head of the plug and about the first three threads were all that came off. It still drained the oil, so the retard kept going and just screwed the busted plug back on . I went to a Valvoline by my house and they were able to get the busted thread piece out with a screwdriver, then they replaced it and filled up the oil and all for free. So it wasn't a horrible experience in the end!!!
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:04 AM   #12
bimmerboi318

For a stripped drain plug they make oversized self-tapping drain plugs. The only problem is that the oil pan kind of surrounds the drain plug's head and I'm not sure if an oversized one would fit. If you get a new oil pan (pretty much the only REAL fix), it shouldnt be TOO expensive to install. I'm only guessing but I wouldnt think it would be much more than a couple hours of labor. The engine does have to be jacked up so the pan can clear the subframe. I wouldnt use the vacuum thing to change oil either.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
sKunkman

Wow I've never heard of this being a problem...but I always do my own oil changes anyway. I trust jack stands enough to do little maintenance...but nothin serious or majorly involving.
sKunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:59 PM   #14
L84THSKY

I do all my oil changes on plastic ramps I got at Auto Barn.

As for major work, I go to my brother's house, he has a drive on lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKunkman
Wow I've never heard of this being a problem...but I always do my own oil changes anyway. I trust jack stands enough to do little maintenance...but nothin serious or majorly involving.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #15
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi318
For a stripped drain plug they make oversized self-tapping drain plugs. The only problem is that the oil pan kind of surrounds the drain plug's head and I'm not sure if an oversized one would fit. If you get a new oil pan (pretty much the only REAL fix), it shouldnt be TOO expensive to install. I'm only guessing but I wouldnt think it would be much more than a couple hours of labor. The engine does have to be jacked up so the pan can clear the subframe. I wouldnt use the vacuum thing to change oil either.

I looked high and low trying to find an oversize drain plug for my car. I never found one so that's why I went the Fram/JB route.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote