318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,013,700 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
teetime4one

Vehicles
Talking Show Off Your Drawing Skills!

i know that we have done this in the past on a whim...but there has never been a thread dedicated to members artwork. if i recall...there are a few members with MAD SKILLS!
i'll start with a few from my days spent in the Big House.

Sean
1995 Active

Last edited by teetime4one; 02-24-2012 at 01:22 PM.
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Haven't drawn anything in ages. I owe my aunt a picture of a giraffe, but I'm just not feelin it. I have a photo of an owl that I've been wanting to do in charcoal for a while now.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
teetime4one

Vehicles

i remember a few of your drawings back in the day...you fall into the Mad Skills category.
i drew my grand daughter a giraffe last year...cindy lou still has it. i'll take pictures of it when i get home from work.

Sean
1995 Active
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
cooljess76

I'm nowhere near as talented as you, Dave or Neal. Charcoal is a fairly simple medium to work with. It's like finger painting, you build it up, work it into the paper, smear and erase. Pen and pencil drawings are a lot less forgiving. Here's a tiger I did a while back:

It always seems like I do my best work on cheap paper at the end of a deadline. Would've came out so much better if I didn't wait until the last minute and used better materials.

I still owe Neal a metal sculpture if I ever get my oxy-acetylene tanks filled

Here's the owl that I'm going to attempt:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	GreatHornedOwl.jpg Views:	113 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	12325  

Last edited by cooljess76; 02-24-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Mr.Squeelerz

Pretty awesome Jesse and Sean. I've never been one for detailed subjects. Nowhere near the talent you guys have.

An older doodle...

A piece I worked on last year. I have a finished version somewhere.

I don't really enjoy drawing a whole lot, but sometimes I'll sit and just let it flow....more out of imagination.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
elchicano

I have been trying to get back to drawing. This has given me a reason to draw something.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
teetime4one

Vehicles

here are the pictures i promised this morning.

Sean
1995 Active
Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
cooljess76

Really nice work Sean and Mr.Squeelerz. Sean, you should try working with charcoal. I can tell by your style of shading that you'd be good at it. They sell various types of kits ranging from a few bucks to ridiculously expensive. There's different types of charcoal mediums too. You have vine and willow mediums which are soft and expensive. They're good for really light detailed work, but they don't last very long. They have charcoal pencils which come in various hardnesses. These are good for sharp lines, but they dull just like a regular pencil and you have to keep sharpening them. And then there's my favorite, compressed charcoal sticks. These come in different hardnesses too, I usually get a medium to hard as they tend to last longer and it's easy to achieve an absolute black on the paper. They sell charcoal powder too, but that's pretty much what I do with the compressed stick anyway. I grind it into the paper, usually on the darkest spot of the drawing, and then I move the powder where I need it.

Depending on the grain of the paper, charcoal will flow differently. On cheaper newsprint paper(see my tiger drawing), the grain is really fine and the charcoal doesn't bite into it as well. Cheap paper doesn't give you a very rich or dramatic product like the coarser drawing paper does. The coarser the paper, the better it bites and the easier it is to add/remove charcoal.

And finally, you want a few different types of erasers. Removing material plays just as big of a part as adding material when it comes to charcoal drawings. There's a difference between erasing and removing material. In some cases, you'll find that you need to lighten an area while in other cases, you may need to take it back down to bare paper. I've found in nature drawings there's very few sharp crisp lines. Most things are rounded or blend together. Therefore, when you remove material, you may want to choose one type of eraser over another depending on the job. NEVER use a pink eraser. Those are made for writing, not art. I use a kneeded eraser. These are made of stretchy rubber. You can kneed them into a ball or whatever shape you're comfortable with. When they get dirty, you can wipe them off or simply stretch it out and kneed it back together like a piece of bubble gum. Kneeded erasers are good for removing the majority of material without tearing up the grain of the paper. If you want a really sharp line or if the kneeded eraser isn't effective enough, you can use a hard eraser. These are usually sold in the same shape as pink erasers, but one half will be white and the other half will be gray. I usually use the sharp edge on the white side and then very lightly use the edge on the gray side. The gray side will tear into the grain of the paper if you're too rough.

If you look at the whiskers on my tiger, you can tell I used an eraser. Another option would've been to use white or gray charcoal. I always keep a piece of white charcoal in my box for this very reason, but I don't know why I didn't use it. White charcoal would've came in handy on the eyes, whiskers and around the mouth of the tiger.

Anyway, that's my art lesson for the day, lol. You should try playing around with charcoal. You'll be surprised at how easy it is and what you could do with it. Just like anything, it can get expensive, but a real artist can probably make do with a piece of kingsford and a brown paper grocery bag
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
teetime4one

Vehicles

awesome info and insight Jesse...thanks!
i did buy some charcoal sticks while in a college arts 101 class back in the day...i just might be able to find that little box around here somewhere.
i'll give it a try...very soon!
right on

Sean
1995 Active
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
cooljess76

I almost forgot. When drawing with ink or pencils, some people like to use smudge sticks. While they work alright with charcoal, I find that a rolled or wadded up piece of paper works the same if not better. I do use my fingers a lot to work the charcoal into the paper, but if you're doing light shading, it leaves fingerprints in your work, so I usually go back over it with a wadded up piece of paper.

Those cheap brown commercial paper towels work best.