318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 989,520 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Last i knew it was just 98's with the recall.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #17
L84THSKY

After all the hype about this recall, I called a year ago and asked. This recall does NOT apply to all 98 models, so he says. He wanted to know my VIN to determine if my car qualifies. My car did not qualify, maybe I should get a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Last i knew it was just 98's with the recall.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #18
bullmand

I think it only affected a portion of the production run in 1997. My car is a very early '98 and I had mine replaced under the warranty. BMW sent out letters to the owners of affected cars, but that would only apply if you are the original owner.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #19
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

My ti was made in 1/98, guess thats why i probally qualified.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #20
atlanta318ti

Rather than calling the dealership, I think I'll call BMW directly if possible to find out the specifics. I've got a rattly 97 oem cat that needs replacing and would love to have it done by BMW. The recall says 1997 model year rather than production year and 97 models began production I think around Sept to Oct 1996. So it would be nice to know what logic BMW is using in determining which units are included in the recall.
atlanta318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #21
Philly

hmmm... mines an 11/97, i wonder if mine would qaulify...

guess ill be makin a phone call this week to see.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #22
Synapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
I called my local dealership. They asked for the last 7 letters/numbers of the VIN and replied "according to our system, your vehicle shows no recalls." It didn't matter that I had the BMW and EPA recall numbers that were on the report.

Oh well.
The reason they show no outstanding recalls is because BMW USA purged the data base back in 2001. Sneaky way of getting out of doing your recall.
Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:35 AM   #23
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

That would seem to be more than just "sneaky"... it sounds more like "illegal" to me. So, inquiries about this issue should be directed to BMW rather than BMW USA?

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 AM   #24
Synapse

From http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cacherhB6VMLVEAJ:www.cleanairforce.info/us/recalls/2001/bmw.htm+recall+01e-a01&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us
2001 Annual Summary of Emission Related Recalls performed on Light-Duty vehicles and Light-Duty Trucks
BMW
Manufacturer BMW
Manufacturer Recall Number 01E-A01
EPA # Case/ Defect 1572
Record Type V
Date of Owner Notification 3/16/2001
Model Year 1997
Vehicle or Engine Class Z3,318i,318is,318ti,318i Convertible
Engine Families VBM1.9VJGKFK
Number of Vehicles Recalled by engine family 11,015
Emission Problem Due to erosion of the expansion mat (packaging mat) in the 3-way catalytic converter a monolith may become loose, causing an irritating rattling noise. Depending on the degree of deterioration, the Check Engine Light will come on.

Remedy: BMW will replace the catalytic converter with a new, improved version.

Total number of vehicles recalled 11,015
Sales Area 50S

Im going by the dealership tommorow or Thursday and test them. I will let you know what happens.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #25
Synapse

No luck, they cant bill BMW for what it doesnt show a active recall. My prior owner gutted the cat anyways I found out today on the lift.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #26
bigdrews318

So i called everyone BMW customer care the dealer where my car was first purchased everyone is saying there is not a recall... I know someone who has ahd it fixed when i tried his they still told em no recall but they could see his was fixed free of charge... Anyone who had it fixed if you wouldnt mind could you post or PM me the last 7 of your VIN i have a friend who works for BMW in germany and he is going to look into it for me... He also told me that there records for recalls go back to 1980 when you cal BMWNA so i dont know whats up ill keep you posted on my progress
bigdrews318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
bigdrews318

Ok so my friend needs 2 things if any of you can help me out when i get the paer work from BMW i will pass it along... Anyone who had it fixed AT A BMW DEALER BECAUSE OF THE RECALL...I need to know where and when so he can speak with them... Also he will need the last seven of the VIn he said its 2 letters and 5 numbers... He told me its really wierd i gave him the last seven of a car that had it done and it still showed no open campaign
bigdrews318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
hitchhike79

Well hmmm my cat just failed and i have no time to wait for parts because i have to leave in a day or two so i can report to my next station.
So i am wondering if anyone found anything out about the cat's and the recall? My build was 11/97 and should be covered i hope.
hitchhike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #29
Synapse

I got mad and I got a resonator put on at a local muffler shop where the cat was. Its been on there for about 2months and hasnt thrown any codes. Works perfect. Muffler shops stock the part, labor and part was $60 all together.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #30
Kompact

Default Failed attempt at a cat replacement. Potential Lawsuit?

Mr. Johnson,
After reviewing the provided information with my managers it appears that your vehicle never had a recall on it. What you mentioned was known as a service bulletin which is different then an actual recall. A
service bulletin will tell us that if the customer complains of a certain
issue then we know what the repair will be. A recall is a BMW recall
that tells us to get the cars in for service and repair the problem on
the vehicle. I am sorry to inform you of this information. If you
have any further questions please feel free to contact me via. e-mail or
at (949) 645-5900. Thank you.
Bryce
Kompact is offline   Reply With Quote