318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,931 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
DinanTi

I am looking to stiffen up my chassis and just gain a some more performance on the turns. I have been looking at springs, sway bars, strut tower braces and the X brace. I only drive on the road, but I like to take turns fast.

What would you guys say you get the most from for the money?

Also I have a traction control is there anyone else that makes front strut braces other then BMP and Race Dynamics that works with the traction control? Not that I have anything against them I am just working on a budget.

If you guys have any other ideas for me let me know.

thanks,
Scotty
DinanTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
J!m

Vehicles

The X-brace is a great place to start, at a reasonable price.

You may find factory sport sway bars for cheap, or other brands from people who have up-graded.

Used springs are usually cheap, and the E36 front springs all fit, rear springs from any Z3 Roadster or Coupe` fit perfectly in the rear. Also E30 rear spring fit the rear of the ti, if you see those used for a deal.

The rear trailing arms cannot take much mre stiffness on the rear sway bar. If you up-grade the bar, the arms must be stiffened, or (as I did) replaced alltogether.

FYI: the E36 M3 front sway bar will NOT fit the ti unless the entire struts are replaced as well, so don't get suckered unless you are going all the way.

Finally, if you are doing a 'mix-n-match' suspension, be careful- you may make it worse than you started...

Good luck

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:19 AM   #3
DinanTi

Has anyone order their X brace from the guy on Ebay? If so does it come with all the hardware needed? He only wants $110 and everywhere else has it for about $150.
Or should I just order from BMP or Bavarian AutoSports?

Thanks,
Scotty
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
saxman0321

I bought my X brace from the same guy that is selling them now on Ebay. They are original BMW products. It came with all the hardware necessary to install, but it's not an easy job getting those crush sleeves in there correctly unless you have access to a lift. Look at www.understeer.com They have a good installation page on this.

As far as other suspension mods, I went with Koni adjustable shocks, H&R Race Springs, and Racing Dynamics M coupe sway bars. I will have a front strut tower bar on again as soon as the M50 motor swap is done. The car is very stiff! There are many good brands of suspension products, but I would either go Bilstein or Koni for the shocks, and H&R or maybe Eibach for the springs. These things will make a much bigger difference in your car's handling than any of the braces will. I look at the x-brace or strut braces as something that gives you a little bit of chassis stiffness, where the shocks/springs not only gives you a great amount of stiffness, but the springs will lower the car's center of gravity. I saved up for the shocks/springs first, and added the other things later. Your choice though.
saxman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
Jared

As far as the X-brace, Pacific BMW used to have them for 108, if I remember correctly. www.pacificbmw.com
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:35 AM   #6
DinanTi

Will putting E36 M3 front springs and E30 M3 springs lower the car, or are they just stiffer springs? Will the Z3 roadster or coupe rear springs lower the back any?

Also is there Sport Trailing Arms for the Sport Sway Bars?

thanks,
Scotty
Old 01-19-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Why M3 springs? Wouldn't you be better off with some H&R Sport springs made for the car?

I don't know much about suspension but my guess is that M3 springs take in account for the heavier engine.

You can buy larger sway bars. If you put a larger sway in the rear you need to reinforce the mounts.

And like J!M said, be careful about mismatching parts.

When I needed springs for my 328ti I got all kinds of wild advice. Even from some notable BMW aftermarket shops. I was cautioned about mix and matching. Then someone told me, why not just get 323ti sport springs? It's closer to what BMW would have done.

Mix and match could cause all kinds of handling problems that you may never sort out.

Again, get a set of H&Rs made for the car. Plus I believe you will need to replace your shocks.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
DinanTi

I have a lip to my driveway that i already bottom out on when I back in sometimes. So I can't really drop the car down 1 1/4 inches unless I find some where else to park. But my street is narrow and I dont really feel like having to worry about people sliding into it when it snows.

Any other ideas let me know.

thanks
scotty