318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-06-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
GDB

Default Where are you getting your Mosselman's???

I have contacted several of the vendors listed on the Mosselman website, but I have only gotten one reply and the price they gave me included install, I emailed them back and have not gotten a reply.
So basically I'm wondering where are you getting the turbo kits from and how much are you paying for them? And yes I am sure I want to go with the turbo as opposed to the DASC, so don't try and convince me otherwise. Thanks.

-Matt
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
ZeroG
I miss my Ti....... :(

Default Mosselman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
I have contacted several of the vendors listed on the Mosselman website, but I have only gotten one reply and the price they gave me included install, I emailed them back and have not gotten a reply.
So basically I'm wondering where are you getting the turbo kits from and how much are you paying for them? And yes I am sure I want to go with the turbo as opposed to the DASC, so don't try and convince me otherwise. Thanks.

-Matt
I know that you can get them from KORMAN (http://kormanfastbmw.com) I think they will not sell it to you with out the install. That is the only person that I know of that can sell. You see them up on ebay every once and a while so keep your eyes open. I have only seen 1 installed mosselman kit here in LA and I was not impressed with it. The car rna really lean and did not like a good kit overall but it did work. But anything over 5 PSI was deadly. Mosselman provides no way to handle fuel, atleast the DASC comes with a piece of crap AAFPR. It may suck but it is something. If you go this way watch out for lean conditions. It does make a cool sound from the blow off valve though.

-Chad
ZeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
TiPerformance

The key to any forced induction system is tuning, anyone can just throw out the components, but few can tune unless they fully understand how an engine and fuel system work. A AFPR is a start, but not the best way to go. Extra injectors and a injector controller is the best way to tune. You might also be able to just use larger injectors with a injector controller to meet your correct A/F ratio's.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:34 AM   #4
GDB

Well after talking to several people I think that if I end up going turbo then it will be a custom build. Mainly I think I could get it cheaper, and i think I could get alot more power out of it than with the Mosselman kit.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
318.g25

i found mine at the bmw shop i work at ....HAHAHA.. somebody took it off of a used car. all the plumbing and pressure regulator, turbo, supersprint exxhaust system intercooler, bov.. i paid the guy that remoed it 300.00_____ yes three hundred
318.g25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
95isTurbo

Lightbulb

Hi I have just joined this site, and I almost completed the install of mosselman turbo on my 95 318is , and I was wondering if anyone has pics of the install on an m42. I have issues with the drilling the hole in the oil pan and my car dont start , i have checked stuff around and it seems to be not pumping any gas . If anyone has pics or details on the install please send it to me or post it on forums .
THNX.
95isTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
sKunkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95isTurbo
Hi I have just joined this site, and I almost completed the install of mosselman turbo on my 95 318is , and I was wondering if anyone has pics of the install on an m42. I have issues with the drilling the hole in the oil pan and my car dont start , i have checked stuff around and it seems to be not pumping any gas . If anyone has pics or details on the install please send it to me or post it on forums .
THNX.
Yeah... I'd recommend fixing that. Don't drill a hole in your oil pan, youll probably lose pressure. And that could cause engine damage.
sKunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:32 AM   #8
mickd

Oil in the pan is not under pressure. Is this hole you drill in the pan for a fitting to return oil from turbo? Im guessing so. If this is the case you probably should drain the oil and refill and drain a few times with cheap thin oil without starting the car just to flush any metal particles out of the pan. Keep flushing it and check using a clean drain pan, I would get a new one. You could strain the oil through a clean piece of cloth to check for metal particles. I would try and find a magnetic drain plug, my 911 has one. The proper way would be to remove the pan when you drill it, but I know, I think you have to lift the engine to remove the pan. What do the instructions call for? Don't really think this is related to your car not starting.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
mickd

Check this thread out http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rbo+oil+return You can return the oil through the dipstick tube. I know this is for a supercharger install, but the same would apply. Here are instructions on installing a Mosselman on a 318is http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...man+oil+return
Old 03-29-2005, 01:48 AM   #10
mickd

Here is a post from the last thread showing install pictures http://www.havephun.com/318ti/pictures/_turboinstall/
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
pdxmotorhead

Make sure the turbo drain is LARGE and unobstructed.

The oil foams badly in the turbo bearing and the drain acts as a
oil-air seperation area. If its too small or doesn't drop straight down
the foam will plug/restrict the drain and youll get oil past the turbo seals...
Which will eventually ruin them.

BTW to have a good exhaust guy fab a custom turbo manifold that will work well
and give you the performance your paying for will be over 1000 dollars. Check your local airport for the best work.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:54 AM   #12
mickd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Make sure the turbo drain is LARGE and unobstructed.

The oil foams badly in the turbo bearing and the drain acts as a
oil-air seperation area. If its too small or doesn't drop straight down
the foam will plug/restrict the drain and youll get oil past the turbo seals...
Which will eventually ruin them.

BTW to have a good exhaust guy fab a custom turbo manifold that will work well
and give you the performance your paying for will be over 1000 dollars. Check your local airport for the best work.

Dave
I guess I should have been more clear, I meant to say a MODIFIED dipstick tube. Sorry.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #13
pdxmotorhead

No worries, I just have found its a point people miss. I've "fixed" several turbo
cars with this problem....

Dave
Old 03-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #14
AlaskaBlue

Does anyone know where to get just the exhaust manifold for use witha turbcharger for a M42 1995 318ti?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 AM   #15
pdxmotorhead

Unless there was a Stock M42 turbo in the BMW line there are only low volume custom units. Its the biggest expense of a turbo setup, often more than the turbo.
It looks problematic to me on the TI because the motor is pretty tight to the right fender. I'd definately do a inside and outside ceramic coat. To keep from heating
teh stuff on the right side of the car up,

Dave