318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Michael_M

Default Tools for DIY

Ok, So I have been to a mechanic today to replace my engine and transmission mounts, parts prices was the average prices when I googled them but now it came to the labour charges, shop charges and taxes. Now I'm really thinking since labour and all that stuff mentioned costed me around 250$ or something which is way too expensive to pay for labour for such a job and I could've saved that amount of money to pay for tools so I can get it done myself.. I have a good mechanical understanding but just lacking the tools and the courage to do those repairs myself.. Thinking that as I need to do so I'm more keen into buying some tools and start doing them myself!!

Any ideas for what tools I should start with. I don't have much of tools tho just a ratchet with set of hex adapters..

I know I need a good jack, 2 axle stands, some extensions for the ratchet, what else ?!

Just trying to think outside the box here without really buying tools that I won't use at all

*Edit* I should start with the valve cover gasket set, replacing the thermostat and yea I know I'll replace the rest of the cooling system later this month, then later on the cooling system, suspension, etc..

Last edited by Michael_M; 09-14-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Adding more points
Michael_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Jack stands. DO NOT SUPPORT THE CAR BY THE AXLES. Why not do the entire cooling system in one shot along with the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket? If it's financial reasons or time constraints, then wait until you have time and funds to do it, but don't wait too long. Trust me, when it comes to those two plastic coolant fittings that are known to break, you'll wish you would've did it while you had the valve cover and filter housing removed. Those two parts are notorious for breaking and dumping all of the coolant in a matter of seconds. I've seen dozens of these cars die from head gasket failure due to overheating. You have to understand the bleeding procedure and follow it to the letter. If you don't, you WILL get airlock and your car WILL overheat. For every second that the engine temp goes above 12 o'clock, the head gasket is suffering significant fatigue and the cylinder head could warp or crack. I posted links in your other thread, also check this link out:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16068
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Michael_M

Ok so no for the Jack Stands then ? normally each and every car I owned used to support them on jack stands!

Financial reasons mainly that's why I want to do them in steps! and I totally understand really that's why I want to change things myself so I can save more from labour and use the money towards more parts.
Michael_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

jackstands are fine. I'm just not used to hearing people call them "axle stands". When you look under your car, you'll understand why it's not ok to support the car by the axles, lol.

You can do it in steps, just know that every time you open the coolant loop ie; replace a cooling system part, you need to bleed the system. You'd be surprised at how many people screw this up. The manual explains it pretty clearly and I even broke it down into steps, but people still have a difficult time removing all of the air. Like I said in your other thread, it often takes several attempts. This requires letting the engine reach operating temp and then completely cool before repeating the entire process. It's the way the radiator is designed with the expansion tank attached to it and it's orientation in relation to the engine that causes so much of a problem bleeding it. Most cars have the expansion tank located at the highest point of the cooling system so all of the air can travel up and out of the expansion tank. Our cars have the expansion tank attached to the radiator at a low point in relation to the engine. This causes any air to get trapped in the radiator which causes air lock. If you want to keep going through this hassle, then do it in steps.

Take a flashlight and look behind the engine between the firewall and cylinder head. Locate the plastic "Y" fitting. Ask yourself if you'd rather replace that "Y" fitting with the valve cover installed or removed. Now shine the light on the driver's side of the engine block and locate the "octopus" fitting. You can either do what a lot of people have done and remove the intake manifold, risk losing important parts, creating vacuum leaks, fuel leaks and your car never running right again. Or, you can remove the airbox, alternator and oil filter housing(replacing the two o-rings and paper gasket on a part that's prone to leak) and gain better access to the octopus fitting. Just saying, I can only offer advice, what you decide to do is entirely up to you.

We already know that your thermostat is sticking. So that should be addressed asap regardless of if you're going to do the rest of the stuff now or later. Just make sure you follow it with a proper bleed and watch that temp needle like a hawk.

As for tools, a metric socket set(deep and shallow) 1/4" and 3/8" drives, a metric combination wrench set, a torx driver set, a screwdriver set, a few sets of channel lock pliers in various sizes, some needle nose pliers, some side cutter pliers(dykes), a hammer, a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, an inch lbs torque wrench, a foot lbs torque wrench, a jack, a work light, a workbench, a drain pan, a funnel, a oil filter wrench size "B", an e36 Haynes manual and an e36 Bentley manual, also an OBDII code reader/scantool is nice to have as well. You can pick up a nice one with live data for about $125. That should be enough to get you started.

Last edited by cooljess76; 09-14-2012 at 07:21 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote