318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 104,464 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 67,532 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 64,834 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
BimmerBum

Vehicles
Default BimmerBum's 330ti Thread...

I have decided just to make a thread about this car rather than do updates in individual postings...

The car... 1998 318ti with 1995 M3 S50... and stock everything else...

The AFE intake is gone and a conforti is on the way. The fit on the AFE was terrible, I will not be buying afe anything for a long long time. We replaced the Vanos unit today using a Dr. Vanos Stage 2 kit. It went very smoothly but all the noise was not gone. I believe there is a lifter or two making a racket... I am going to run some engine cleaner then switch to a lower weight oil and see if that does the trick.

The car runs very very strong. In current trim it is supposed to have around 280 hp. I refuse to wash it or put the engine covers back on until it runs perfect!

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
wolferj-RIP

So what gives it the 40 extra HP? The injectors and HFM? Or the upgraded Vanos?

Where are you heading with this? What is your goal?

It looks like a total sleeper...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
So what gives it the 40 extra HP? The injectors and HFM? Or the upgraded Vanos?

Where are you heading with this? What is your goal?

It looks like a total sleeper...

The injectors, chip, 3.5 hfm, and intake are supposedly good for 40 or so hp.

Not exaclty sure where I'm headed with this one. Once it runs correctly I will be addressing the rest of the driveline, suspension, and brakes.

It is much faster than people suspect with the single tip and '318ti' badge.

Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Will'sBimmer

I love it!!! I can't wait to do my swap one day. Keep me posted on your car.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
BimmerBum

Vehicles

My pile of parts so far consists of:

M Coupe Transmission
M Coupe Rear Trailing Arms and Brakes with Axles.
M3 Front Brakes
M3 Master Cylinder
1 Piece front strut bar
3:46 limited slip
M Coupe Differential cover
Urethane rear sub frame and trailing arm bushings
E30 M3 front control arms
Brembo slotted rotors
ZKW Euro Headlights

The BTS suspension is on the way out. I will likely go with some flavor of GC coil over set up.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
thesk8nmidget

psh ugly

lol gimmi gimmi gimmi!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
psh ugly

lol gimmi gimmi gimmi!
someone's having withdrawals

nice looking ti, what are you doing for inspections?
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Dan I

Nice...what'd you do for exhaust? Dr.Vanos stg 2...cams in your future?

S50, Sunbelt cams, Dr.Vanos, blah, blah, blah...
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #9
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan I View Post
Nice...what'd you do for exhaust? Dr.Vanos stg 2...cams in your future?

Exhaust is just stock M3 to where it would not fit anymore then into a 2 in 1 out muffler... looks stock.

Well... yes cams are coming but... see next post.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #10
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Alright. After doing the vanos the power band was back in check and it seemed to run much smoother BUT there was still a ticking... annoying.

Well the ticking turned out to be what we believe is a knocking on cyl #6. I pulled the plugs and found oil on that plug as well.

I don't know as much as I would like to about this car/engine's past anyway so I have made the decision to pull it all apart. I will have a lot more confidence when the car goes back together my way. How crazy I get with the rebuild is going to depend on what I find inside.

I am a little bummed but I will enjoy the car much more when I know it is right.

I will continue to update on this thread. I will have some stuff for sale soon as well.

On the bright side, I am currently sporting a 95 CS with an M50 with S50 cams and software. 220 hp from what I have read, pretty fun!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
FMD

http://azbmw.org/index.php?name=Foru...&p=78728#78728
S50 rebuilt parts
FMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

Nice price! ...and I sell parts! If I were further into this thing I might jump on that but I am considering a bit of a performance rebuild.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
dahamler

Sorry to hear about that happening, you were just getting things sorted out. I would certainly figure out why cylinder six died before you start your rebuild. A faulty part could easily reproduce the problem on the rebuilt engine (please don’t ask me how I know).

Was the plug saturated with oil? That would lead me to think that the engine had bad rings and therefore should have smoked a bit upon a cold startup. I had a leaky valve cover on my engine and it soaked the spark plug every time I removed it which made me believe that I also had bad rings.

Rod knock is usually associated with pre-detonation and in some cases overreving. I had a ticking noise once that I swore was rod knock or a valvetrain problem but it ending up being a small leak in my exhaust manifold gasket.
If you do decide to rebuild the engine yourself be sure to take pictures of everything before the disassembly and to mike the crank and to use a plasti-gauge to check the bearing clearance especially if you have the crank turned. Also make sure that you purchase the correct undersized bearings for the job. Everything else is pretty straightforward on these engines, use plenty of assembly lube and follow your preferred break-in procedure to the T.

I can certainly understand what must be going through your mind right now but be advised that there are some members on this forum that has been exactly where you are now and we are happy to lead a hand if you need it. -Dan
dahamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahamler View Post
Sorry to hear about that happening, you were just getting things sorted out. I would certainly figure out why cylinder six died before you start your rebuild. A faulty part could easily reproduce the problem on the rebuilt engine (please don’t ask me how I know).

Was the plug saturated with oil? That would lead me to think that the engine had bad rings and therefore should have smoked a bit upon a cold startup. I had a leaky valve cover on my engine and it soaked the spark plug every time I removed it which made me believe that I also had bad rings.

Rod knock is usually associated with pre-detonation and in some cases overreving. I had a ticking noise once that I swore was rod knock or a valvetrain problem but it ending up being a small leak in my exhaust manifold gasket.
If you do decide to rebuild the engine yourself be sure to take pictures of everything before the disassembly and to mike the crank and to use a plasti-gauge to check the bearing clearance especially if you have the crank turned. Also make sure that you purchase the correct undersized bearings for the job. Everything else is pretty straightforward on these engines, use plenty of assembly lube and follow your preferred break-in procedure to the T.

I can certainly understand what must be going through your mind right now but be advised that there are some members on this forum that has been exactly where you are now and we are happy to lead a hand if you need it. -Dan
Thank you for the support and kind words!

I do indeed plan on finding the source of both the knock and the oil on the plug.

At the very least I also plan on having the rotating assembly balanced together.

I am fortunate that the other cars I have around here are also quite fun to drive so I am not nearly as bummed as I could be!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #15
rustydip

Between both of our builds I have a feeling we're going to be busy for a long time, it should be worth it once they are complete!
rustydip is offline   Reply With Quote