318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,010,303 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
op'z318M

Default HELP. Steering problem

I am having trouble with my steering system. It is hard to turn every 1/4 turn. This happens while turning the steering wheel while parked and while driving. Also while making a 90 degree turn the steering wheel will not return back to the straight position on its own.

I have new lower control arm bushings. Firestone replaced the tirerod ends, replaced the steering pump 3 times and replaced the steering rack 2 times, and had 3 wheel alignments ALL in the past 2 months, but nothing has fixed the problem. I have not taking it to the dealership.

The car drives straight and doesnt pull to any side. There are no noises coming from the front suspension or from the steering column when i turn the steering wheel.

This is my daily driver and its a pain to drive and not safe with the steering wheel being hard to turn back straight after making turns.

Has anyone encountered this problem??

Last edited by op'z318M; 02-12-2013 at 04:18 AM.
op'z318M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
2Ti

I had similar symptoms that were to yours; mine was stiff but not nearly as what you describe. Here's what did: - first I convinced myself that the power steering pump and or rack was still ok by doing the usual checks on the system. Sounds like you have that covered with the part replacements you've done. - then I put the front of the car on jack stands and moved the tires through its steering range while thoroughly greasing the two steering knuckles with penetrating lubricant. That reduced the stiffness a little bit, but not enough. - there is a bearing for the steering shaft in the firewall that I then lubed using penetrating lubricant while moving the tires back and forth. It is difficult to see, and even harder to get to with a good spray. There is a good write up on this site that describes a way to get a strong blast of lubricant onto the bearing from the engine bay by spraying lubricant into a small tube and directing the tube onto bearing from above. This procedure loosened up the motion quite a bit, I had to do it a few times. - Finally, I replaced the bearing at the top of the shaft under the steering wheel. Mine was in bad shape, and this smoothed things out a bit more. After doing the above, the stiffness was gone and steering became silky smooth.
2Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
op'z318M

Thanks Ill try that.. Spray lubricant on the bearing on the firewall, and replace bearing behind the steering wheel...

Did you get the bearing from the dealership? How much? Will i need a steering wheel puller?
op'z318M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
spidertri

Vehicles

Greasing the steering shaft bearing is definitely something to try.

Have you ever replaced the front strut hats? They have bearings in them that allow the struts to rotate when you turn the steering wheel. I know from experience that if these are shot the steering will "stick" and not return to center on it's own.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
2Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by op'z318M View Post
Thanks Ill try that.. Spray lubricant on the bearing on the firewall, and replace bearing behind the steering wheel...

Did you get the bearing from the dealership? How much? Will i need a steering wheel puller?
The bearing I got from the dealer for maybe $20 tops. I didn't need a steering wheel puller, but be sure to follow procedures that can be found on this site when dealing with the airbag. Installing the bearing was bit of a pain. There is a circlip that keeps the bearing in place that was tough for me to remove and then reinstall once the new bearing was in. I would perhaps lube the bearing to see if that helps first, before replacing.

But spidertri's suggestion above is a good one, worth a try before messing with that bearing perhaps. Best of luck.
2Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
wolferj-RIP

I am going to 2nd Spidertri's suggestion.

I had symptoms very similar to what you describe that occurred when I first had new struts and springs installed...

The shop that I had do the work had not installed the top strut mounts correctly, and this caused my steering to not come to center and made all low speed turns require much more effort.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
mtlblue

On the steering column, in the engine bay between the steering rack and the firewall, there's a u-joint. Drench the part with some auto trans oil or some good lube. Work it and let it it sit. Fixed my problem. Common northeastern e36 issue
mtlblue is offline   Reply With Quote