318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,005,319 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #61
JedzE36/5

Vehicles

wow this is great news! the lack of S/C was one reason i did a swap in the first place. it would be nice to pick up a relatively inexpensive M44 Ti and start all over again with a DASC.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #62
bbarnumboy

well i contacted techniquetunning and they have absolutely nothing as for tuning on the m42. sad day!
bbarnumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #63
pdxmotorhead

WAR chip?

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #64
bbarnumboy

well i went to their website and they are all sold out so i coult not see a price etc. how does it work exactly. doy uo have to be a genius tuner like using a standalone system? does it have a way to read boost? better yet do you know if they have a m42 application?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #65
pnosker

I'm in Atlanta now, I'll try to stop by tomorrow and check them out, assuming they're here.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #66
pdxmotorhead

For all practiccal purposes its a standalone system.

They will pre-load the chip with a stock profile to get you going.

Any good tuning shop with a chassis dynomometer should be able to handle tuning it for you. Since your just up in Everett, you might consider a trip to Portland and go to Loynings engine. They build stuff for pro racers and a LOT of SCCA, and national amateurs. It will cost you a couple hundred bucks at least, but their tuner just set a record last year at Bonneville with a Toyota tundra. Over 200 I believe...

I would call them and see when the one for your car would be available.

Their original chips were all M42/E30, I thought I saw the M42/E36 available a few weeks back..

Dave
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #67
bbarnumboy

Interesting. I go to portland alot since i have a race car down that way. I know a few tuners as well but if these guys know the warchip than i may go to them.

i am assuming this thing controls fuel and spark/timing?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #68
pdxmotorhead

Loynings likely does not know the war chip, but they do enough high end tuning that they would be able to work it out correctly, the problem if there is one with the war chip is that its too new for anybody but the manufacturer to know much about it...

Most BMW folk ignored tuning in favor of Dinan for so long that now its pretty late for this to have been introduced...

One advantage the chip has is that its a chip! not the headache of wiring in a Tec or AEM or whatever. Its also relatively cheap so the money can be burnt on the dynomometer. )

What do you race? I spend a lot of time at PIR in the summer... Sometimes I make it up to Pacific Raceway, if a friend need a crew...

Dave
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #69
bbarnumboy

well i'm no real racer i do lots of auto x and road course lapping days. i have a 1985 Toyota Mr2 Mk1 2.o L turbo just over 400whp :-) lotsa fun.

yeah i see where u are coming from about it being introduced late. i did not wanna butcher my harness for a standalone. this way i can just go back to na simply. so do you know if u have to cut a hole in the ecu cover to make the wire come out to wire into the cab for tuning? this is cool. and once i finish up my MR2 i will be doing this i believe. i was just trying to find a way withought dumping the money i have into my MR2, anbd this seems like a good start. unfortunately the DASC is more pricey now but it is a very quality made kit. i almost considered the KO performance kit untill i read the 8 years of their bad history lol

so did anyone confirm if this is the same old supercharger on the kit or if he redeisgned it to fit a newer Blower?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #70
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarnumboy View Post
well i'm no real racer i do lots of auto x and road course lapping days. i have a 1985 Toyota Mr2 Mk1 2.o L turbo just over 400whp :-) lotsa fun.

yeah i see where u are coming from about it being introduced late. i did not wanna butcher my harness for a standalone. this way i can just go back to na simply. so do you know if u have to cut a hole in the ecu cover to make the wire come out to wire into the cab for tuning? this is cool. and once i finish up my MR2 i will be doing this i believe. i was just trying to find a way withought dumping the money i have into my MR2, anbd this seems like a good start. unfortunately the DASC is more pricey now but it is a very quality made kit. i almost considered the KO performance kit untill i read the 8 years of their bad history lol

so did anyone confirm if this is the same old supercharger on the kit or if he redeisgned it to fit a newer Blower?
Alright here it goes...
the DASC is a great way to bump up power in the car without having to do a lot of mods to it... then again the amount of money it costs to the power gain ratio is not really that great... you could probably get an engine swap for the same price and have more power and more options on upgrades down the line. If you want to keep the stock engine and boost it up, there are several option that someone like Johnboy has done through time... latest was an actual TURBO build, not including the MM motor he had built prior with his DASC stage 3....
So...
He went from DASC, to DASC+pulleys+meth injection, to DASC+pulleys+Stage 3 software+ meth injection+MM motor, to TURBO...

If you want just look into his turbo build thread and you might find very useful information there, BTW he might be able to help you in tuning your ECU chip as well. He is going through a tough time right now so just read through his thread on the Turbo build and maybe send him a PM later on any questions you might have after...

I myself would do a DASC just because it's the easy way out on an engine upgrade, but for the cost it seems to be a waste of money especially in this time of economic woes...

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #71
bbarnumboy

i ear ya. i am all for the turbos. but i believe this dasc system will be more reliable. and i am not interested in a engine swap. it's my daily and it really needs more get up and go power lol thanks thought i will keep him in mind for tuning etc.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #72
pdxmotorhead

I belong to Team Continental, We put on some of the performance driving schools at PIR.

Shoot me a pm when your down this way, I end up out there a lot! Rofl

Dave
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #73
bbarnumboy

sounds good. i will be testing it on the 1/4 mile and the road course once it is done at PIR
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #74
pnosker

It's the same Eaton/Magnuson M62 charger as before. They got a supply of new units that from another source, from what I heard. I've seen a kit that was bought less than a year ago and it's the same as the one I have.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #75
pdxmotorhead

I think Eaton is on the hook to produce the M62 for parts support because its in a couple truck applications. Magneson has moved on to teh new model.

How much difference is there between the M42 and M44 kit anyway? I would be happy with the manifold and blower.