318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 953,893 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,654 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-28-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
slnelson

Default Potential new owner needs tips

Hello all,
I'm new here and have loved the ti since ti came out. Back them I couldn't afford one new, but now they have come into my price range and I'd love to own one.
There is one in my area I've found on autotrader.com and am not sure if this is a good buy, as the price is over kbb and edmunds values. Anyone here happen to know this car? Own this car? Suggestions are very welcome.

Sarah
former owner of: 92 VW Corrado VR6, 98 Dodge Neon Sport, 72 Mazda RX2
slnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
L84THSKY

When my 1988 16V Scirocco started giving me problems last year, I went on a hunt for my next car. The Corrado was the next logical choice. I heard too many problems with that car, so I went for the 318ti.

The car you are referring to looks good, and has relatively low miles, but I'm not sure what a 1995 is worth. Before even talking money, research the history on the car....accidents....title....

If it checks out, then start negotiating......

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnelson
Hello all,
I'm new here and have loved the ti since ti came out. Back them I couldn't afford one new, but now they have come into my price range and I'd love to own one.
There is one in my area I've found on autotrader.com and am not sure if this is a good buy, as the price is over kbb and edmunds values. Anyone here happen to know this car? Own this car? Suggestions are very welcome.

Sarah
former owner of: 92 VW Corrado VR6, 98 Dodge Neon Sport, 72 Mazda RX2

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
slnelson

Thanks. It came up clean on a Carfax report. I emailed the owner using the service through autotrader and haven't heard back yet. Then again it was a holiday weekend.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
slnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
When my 1988 16V Scirocco started giving me problems last year, I went on a hunt for my next car. The Corrado was the next logical choice. I heard too many problems with that car, so I went for the 318ti.
Yes, my Corrado was a giant PITA. I had such a love/hate relationship with it, if it wasn't one thing wrong it was another. But it was such a joy to drive, and I loved the design of the car so much... and then the headlights failed and I crashed it on the freeway. No more VW's for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
If it checks out, then start negotiating......
I have noticed more and more people refusing to negotiate on price these days, kind of a "if you try to haggle with me, get lost" kind of thing. I'm a bit wary of this.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
L84THSKY

As I said in previous posts, I bought my 1998 318ti last year with 31K miles for $10,500. She started with $11,000, and we settled on $10,500. Let me tell you, she babied her car. ALWAYS have all of the facts BEFORE dealing with buyer!!!!!!!

If the car is worth what they are asking, then the worst that can happen is you pay the full price, no harm done.

Quote:
Yes, my Corrado was a giant PITA. I had such a love/hate relationship with it, if it wasn't one thing wrong it was another. But it was such a joy to drive, and I loved the design of the car so much... and then the headlights failed and I crashed it on the freeway. No more VW's for me.

I have noticed more and more people refusing to negotiate on price these days, kind of a "if you try to haggle with me, get lost" kind of thing. I'm a bit wary of this.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 03-28-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
sKunkman

Yeah check it out first, KBB and edmunds cant account for sentimental value anyway

Also, it says its manual, but under the comments it says it has cruise control?? (cc). WTF?

I mean I suppose its possible...but NEVER have i seen a manual car with CC.
sKunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
L84THSKY

I wondered myself whether a manual car can have cruise control. A guy at work with two Bimmers says YES!!!

He has two 5-series sedans(manual tranny) and I think he said they both have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKunkman
Yeah check it out first, KBB and edmunds cant account for sentimental value anyway

Also, it says its manual, but under the comments it says it has cruise control?? (cc). WTF?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-29-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
aceyx

cruise is very possible; my roommate's '86 944 (manual) had it. all it takes is a servo-operated cable since it's throttle-by-wire. the ECM keeps it at a constant rev, referencing it with the speedo to maintain speed. most of the time, it only works above 3500rpms.

i digress; be wary of carfax reports; have the car taken to a mechanic that you trust to look it over. it's pretty easy for them to tell if panels have been repaired, replaced, and painted.

i would ask (nicely) a member from your area to come check it out with you.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

uhhh ... i have manual and cruise. even had it on my previous (non-bmw) car. you can't expect it to shift for you, but it's not that big a deal
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
aceyx

ECM? i mean ECU. it's been a long day.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
slnelson

My Corrado was a manual with cc.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:19 AM   #12
97Hellrot318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
cruise is very possible; my roommate's '86 944 (manual) had it. all it takes is a servo-operated cable since it's throttle-by-wire. the ECM keeps it at a constant rev, referencing it with the speedo to maintain speed. most of the time, it only works above 3500rpms.

i digress; be wary of carfax reports; have the car taken to a mechanic that you trust to look it over. it's pretty easy for them to tell if panels have been repaired, replaced, and painted.

i would ask (nicely) a member from your area to come check it out with you.

My ti is manual, and has Cruise. Works just fine
ACS-"Style" (E-Bay, haha) Racing Pedals
M Frontspoiler (OEM)
Alpine CDA 9827 MP3/CD Head Unit
Alpine E12 Subwoofer (now stolen)
Audiobahn A4002T Amp (also now stolen)
Dented driver side fender (provided courtesy of blind 80 year old woman)
Keyed passenger door (provided by someone who likes to key red cars)

Soon to come (now that I've graduated and have a real job)
S52 Engine Swap!!!
Fixing aformentioned damage caused by the elderly and the brain deprived
Supersprint Exhaust and Headers
Angel Eye/Projector Headlights
97Hellrot318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:00 AM   #13
pdxmotorhead

my 95 318ti has cruise and a 5 speed. Stock.

Is there a code on the car that tells me the model ?? IE Sport,
Base etc? I search but did not find....

Thanks
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #14
nick_hegel

Quote:
Thanks. It came up clean on a Carfax report. I emailed the owner using the service through autotrader and haven't heard back yet. Then again it was a holiday weekend.
Just a suggestion: Don't completely count on the Carfax report. That's what I did and I wish I had taken mine to a dealer before I finally decided on it. At the very least have it checked out by a auto body shop and a trusted mechanic. I don't even trust Bimmer Dealers by me. Mine had been in a previous accident and didn't realize it until I took a really good close look at the paint job.
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:36 AM   #15
Drewston

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKunkman

Hi guys, im new here so just reading over some posts and familiarising myself with whats going on! about the crise control its very common over here in England on manual cars, esp the higher spec ones like BMW, Merc, Audi etc but really its just an needless extra for the executive types who drive alot of motorway miles and get poorly right feet by actually having to drive their cars (bless 'em!). Anyway cheers!