318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,531 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Lachlan

Vehicles
Default Stromung Exhaust

Hi all,

I would like to know everyone's opinion on the Stromung Exhaust, installed on a 318ti? I am thinking about upgrading my exhaust to a Stromung in the near future, but want opinions from those who currently have them installed. I have read as many threads as I can find relevant to Stromung exhausts on this forum, but I would like just a little more information. I have also watched many clips of Stromung exhausts in action, but I've read that videos don't do this exhaust justice.

For example, how would you describe the tone of the exhaust? Does it give a noticeable performance boost? Does the Stromung have any issues with installing on a 318ti/316i Base model which has the standard rear bumper as opposed to the M-Tech rear bumper shown on Understeer's website? Is their noticeable cabin noise from the exhaust?

I've looked at these at Understeer.com, and I was unsure if they ship internationally or not? I did send them an email last week, but I'm yet to receive a reply. Does anybody have any idea on how much shipping would cost to Australia?

I will be upgrading from a custom sports exhaust, which personally, sounds a little too stock. I want something with a nicer, louder tone, and so far, the Stromung is my first preference.
Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
familytruckster

Vehicles

Nothing other than a blower or turbo makes a noticeable gain on these cars. Well, there is a motor swap....

Fit isn't an issue on a non sport bumper. There is cabin noise, and if you have the seats down or the cargo tray out it's really bad. (without the resonator)

Most people have a resonator installed on them and are really happy. I really like mine, it sounds great, deep mean idle tone, and that's with the resonator from the stock exhaust on it.

Last edited by familytruckster; 03-14-2012 at 02:04 AM.
familytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Lachlan

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
Nothing other than a blower or turbo makes a noticeable gain on these cars. Well, there is a motor swap....

Fit isn't an issue on a non sport bumper. There is cabin noise, and if you have the seats down or the cargo tray out it's really bad. (without the resonator)

Most people have a resonator installed on them and are really happy. I really like mine, it sounds great, deep mean idle tone, and that's with the resonator from the stock exhaust on it.
Thanks I'm definitely leaning towards the Stromung. Performance isn't all that essential, but the nice tone is.

Did you buy yours from Understeer?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
mohaughn

Is stromung even making them anymore? When we did the group buy a few years ago I thought the shop said they were getting rid of the jig since sales were so low..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
familytruckster

Vehicles

I got mine used from a fellow forum member.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Lachlan

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Is stromung even making them anymore? When we did the group buy a few years ago I thought the shop said they were getting rid of the jig since sales were so low..
I hope they haven't discontinued the exhaust! It appears that they're still for sale on Stromung's site, and understeer still have the exhaust listed.

Has anyone bought a new Stromung recently from either of these sites?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

I've got one, I think it sounds pretty good without the resonator but I usually have my radio up so I don't really hear it. it's one of the louder ones you can get that still sounds decent
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Lachlan

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
I've got one, I think it sounds pretty good without the resonator but I usually have my radio up so I don't really hear it. it's one of the louder ones you can get that still sounds decent
I'm definitely leaning towards buying one! Where did you purchase yours? Do you know where they're still available?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Lachlan

Vehicles

Perhaps I'm not very patient, but I'm slightly unhappy with Understeer's customer service. I've emailed them, and have yet to have received an email with a quote for the exhaust and shipping to Australia.

I want to give them my money!!

Last edited by Lachlan; 03-20-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
I'm definitely leaning towards buying one! Where did you purchase yours? Do you know where they're still available?
I bought mine used from a member here
Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Lachlan

Vehicles

Thanks TiFreak.

Scott from Stromung got back to me earlier. He said they can build me a exhaust with a slip connector instead of the full system, which would reduce shipping by half.

Would I still receieve the same experience with this Stromung exhaust like I would have with the full system? Eg. Exhaust note/tone?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

what exactly would they be sending you? if it's just the muffler you would have to remove the factory resonator to get it to the same tone as the full system. you'd probably have to have an exhaust shop do that since the resonator has a bend in it
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #13
Lachlan

Vehicles

Quote:
what exactly would they be sending you? if it's just the muffler you would have to remove the factory resonator to get it to the same tone as the full system. you'd probably have to have an exhaust shop do that since the resonator has a bend in it
I've quoted this directly from the email they sent me;

Quote:
The only difference is a slip section with a stainless band clamp.
What do you think? I wish I knew a little more in this area.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #14
tiFreak

Vehicles

sorry, didn't get a chance to get on yesterday

sounds like they'd be sending you the whole catback but split in half so it will fit in a smaller box, that shouldn't sound any different than the regular one-piece system. it wouldn't be much more work to install either
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
Lachlan

Vehicles

Quote:
sorry, didn't get a chance to get on yesterday

sounds like they'd be sending you the whole catback but split in half so it will fit in a smaller box, that shouldn't sound any different than the regular one-piece system. it wouldn't be much more work to install either
No worries mate!

Yeah I received a quote from Scott at Stromung, and the price of the exhaust is still the same. Hence, I'd assume the exhaust is exactly as you described.

I just processed payment to Stromung, so I'm looking forward to finally installing a Stromung on my compact. Shipping was pretty damn expensive to get to Australia, but there's nothing I could do to avoid that.

I'd also like to note the great customer service from Scott at Stromung. He was very helpful, and even gave me a small discount for the exhaust, because of the expensive shipping. I'd definitely recommend buying from them.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll be sure to post a sound clip once it's installed.

Last edited by Lachlan; 03-24-2012 at 02:25 AM.