318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,001,214 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
davendeb

Default could use some advice

I don't want to make this post too long but... this may take some time

I bought my ti for my son to go to university - long story short is he did'nt go.
So, in the process of caring for the car I got hooked on the ti - its a great car and fun to drive. (way more fun than my 325 all wheel)

I found and fixed most of the rattles, then added new larger rims and rubber , a Dinan chip, new paint, new lowering springs with bilsteins, new stereo and speakers, new transm cooler and lines and etc (meaning lots of small things).

After I learned how to drive this car, I found it had pretty good pickup, but not quite enough - I would consider a DASC, M3 or other 6C engine conversion. (then add M3 transmission???)

When I do the math and it seems at least $ 7500 C for a DASC supplied and installed, forget any tranny work.

On the weekend my wife convinced me to drive a MB 2003 320 Compressor, Evolution package, loaded (used with 42 KM) - The styling is ????? (my personal opinion)

Gentlemen - I'M TEMPTED TO MAKE THE MOVE - just for the speed and all the extras you get for the money

give me your thoughts - should I do it???

DnD

ps my son thinks these are old man cars - REALLY?
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
drkblu318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post

ps my son thinks these are old man cars - REALLY?
NOO wayy!! i got mine at 16 definatly not a old man car, its a hot car!

as for the c320.. my mom has a c230 kompressor and its pretty fun and would be really cool in manual. So i dunno, personally i would keep the ti and DASC it, i dont think it'll run you 7500. i think pretty well below that, but i dont have one so i wouldnt realy know.

Tribute to:
97 318ti Montreal Blue R.I.P
96 318ti Schwartz II
drkblu318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
L84THSKY

That's $7500.00 Canadian not US.

I'd keep the Ti, cause the styling is better, and build up the horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkblu318ti View Post
i dont think it'll run you 7500.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
PettitWC

i'd keep the ti too. you've already invested so much in it and forced induction'll give you better pick up

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007
Smile

Keep the Ti! Buying new upgrades feels a whole lot better than another car payment does.

The DASC kit is like $3500 us. I am no mechanic either but if you can replace parts. The job seems really doable for a “DIYer”.

There are a lot of accessories out there to update the look of the TI and to me it has a lot more style than the c230 as is.

The Benz is nice but it weighs a lot and you will never feel the road that you’re driving on ever again...

HP is like money; you never have enough. 
jkilla71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I looked at a couple c240 benzs about a year ago. I was going to get a c240 sedan for the misses, but I heard awful things about the quality of the c-series in general. All but the e-series have quality problems...so I've heard. The 318ti is solid, but you know that otherwise you wouldn't be posting this question on THIS forum.

You'll never find a support forum like THIS for a Benz. Not many DIY'er in the Benz camp. Install the DASC yourself, there are plenty of write-ups on it, or find someone on this forum to help.

You bought your son a BMW for college, then didn't go...his opinion doesn't count.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:24 AM   #7
pootie

I just got my TI less than a week ago (bought it like 3 months ago, but didnt get home from Iraq until last week). I already love it (wish it wasnt auto..). I would keep the TI, I find it much more rewarding to work on a car yourself and make it what YOU want; as opposed to buying something that you really can't do much work on.. if that makes sense.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:38 AM   #8
FATHER

In my opinion i not like the Benz, also the Kompresor(at least in Puerto Rico) have the same engine block of the Neon!!!!, i think BMW is the only choice, with the DASC you not need nothing more

Mods: Some plastic parts, ///M Wheels and me
FATHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 AM   #9
pnosker

The neon is a 2.4l, the c230 is a 2.3l supercharged. (In the USA I don't think the blocks are related)

The 2.4l Neon turbocharged is a very peppy motor. My mom's 2.0l SOHC neon is from 1996 and has almost 200k miles on it with no major problems.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
FATHER

in Puerto Rico the kompresor is 2.0l( neon block, like your mother noen) beleive the kompresor in Puerto Rico is very beauty but is low performance car, that is my opinion

Mods: Some plastic parts, ///M Wheels and me
FATHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 AM   #11
davendeb

Default re purchasing MB compressor

thanks for responding and helping me here - it seems to me that 318ti.org is somewhat of a brotherhood, and I appreciate those who offered me their opinions to me.

I really did not have much help viewing and posting on MB sites regarding purchasing a used MB product. In any case, what research I found was not very favorable for these cars, particularly in respect to the electronics.

Soo... as soon as I can get DA to give me some pricing, I will order a supercharger and have it put in (new cooling lines too).
I suppose I'll never get the money out of this but.......... what the eell it will be fun.

thanks again DnD
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote