318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 10:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
Yesterday 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 45,157 Views
Cali Top owners: How...
07-14-2014 04:29 PM
Last post by Trusted-1
03-15-2024 02:37 AM
2 Replies, 42,442 Views
FOR SALE: 82k mile 1995...
03-15-2024 01:24 AM
Last post by di318
03-15-2024 01:24 AM
0 Replies, 37,954 Views
BMW E36 Compact rear...
03-13-2024 12:56 PM
Last post by BMW Welsh rally
03-13-2024 12:56 PM
0 Replies, 48,905 Views
WTB: 318ti with...
04-20-2022 08:57 AM
Last post by di318
03-10-2024 08:08 PM
21 Replies, 244,478 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Cybersid13
03-09-2024 02:12 PM
209 Replies, 677,171 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
brandnew07z

Default 318ti swapping in M52... Need opinions help

Hello everyone,

So I've been reading for weeks, and researching all my options, but I still feel that I know very little about what this swap entails. I've emailed Jim the one who sells the swap manuals, but haven't heard back. Anyways I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this.

I purchased a 1998 328i 4 door automatic. The engine was replaced in the car a few years back so I'm not tearing into the motor.

Is their a concise list of what is needed for the swap?

Will using my 5 speed transmission work even though, the engine harness is for an automatic? Or can I still use it and just modify it?

I've read that the suspension in front might need to be swapped due to extra weight.

Does anyone have a summary list of steps to be taken care of for the swap?

Lastly, I do plan on changing some gaskets like the oil pan, intake manifold. What other simple but smart gaskets should I replace.

Down the road I do plan on putting the M50 intake manifold, and lsd differential.

If I'm forgetting anything please chime in im doing the swap this coming weekend and could use the help.

Thanks
brandnew07z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #2
wolferj-RIP

There are many threads on what you need for the swap... However, some things aren't mentioned here...

What year is your Ti? Hopefully 96 or later. Trying to put an OBDII motor in a 95 ti which is OBDI will present far more challenges..

Your existing trans will bolt up, no problem. There are 2 mounting places for your trans rear crossmember, you may have to shift it to the rear position, however. The driveshaft should compress enough at the center bearing to compensate, mine did, your results may vary...

Swap the front suspension from the Sedan into your ti, it's all easily interchangeable..

Also inspect the rear main seal for the engine for leakage when it's out. Your gasket list is good, but also check the valve cover gasket.

You should use the cooling system from the sedan (Radiator/fan, etc), and will need the right radiator mount.

I swapped over the AC into mine as well, and you will need a couple of the hoses if you plan to do this as well.

The Automatic engine harness will be fine, but it will have a connection for the trans DME that you won't use. If you can find a harness from a manual, it will be better, but not necessary.

Also, the EWS, DME and key will all be needed, or you can get the EWS deleted by a dealer or the member Midnight Tuning here on the .org.

If you search BluBimma's posts here and on bimmerforums.com, he has posted lots of information on swaps.

Good Luck!
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #3
brandnew07z

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
There are many threads on what you need for the swap... However, some things aren't mentioned here...

What year is your Ti? Hopefully 96 or later. Trying to put an OBDII motor in a 95 ti which is OBDI will present far more challenges..

Your existing trans will bolt up, no problem. There are 2 mounting places for your trans rear crossmember, you may have to shift it to the rear position, however. The driveshaft should compress enough at the center bearing to compensate, mine did, your results may vary...

Swap the front suspension from the Sedan into your ti, it's all easily interchangeable..

Also inspect the rear main seal for the engine for leakage when it's out. Your gasket list is good, but also check the valve cover gasket.

You should use the cooling system from the sedan (Radiator/fan, etc), and will need the right radiator mount.

I swapped over the AC into mine as well, and you will need a couple of the hoses if you plan to do this as well.

The Automatic engine harness will be fine, but it will have a connection for the trans DME that you won't use. If you can find a harness from a manual, it will be better, but not necessary.

Also, the EWS, DME and key will all be needed, or you can get the EWS deleted by a dealer or the member Midnight Tuning here on the .org.

If you search BluBimma's posts here and on bimmerforums.com, he has posted lots of information on swaps.

Good Luck!

Awesome I really appreciate the input. I'm buying a lot of parts today so I just want to make sure everything is good.

Why do you say having an manual engine harness is better? What is different with the harness besides the automatic transmission.

My TI is a 97 so both are OBD-II. In regards to the EWS issue. Will the car even start once the swap is complete or do I have to tow the car to a BMW dealer to have them work on it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #4
wolferj-RIP

I was thinking backwards on the engine harness/body harness...

Since your ti is a manual, no need to worry. If you were doing the trans swap as well, then the car's General body module (ECU) would be looking for a trans and trans DME and throw errors. But you don't need to worry about that, you will just have a extra spot on the harness for a connection to the Trans stuff you won't use.

If you zip-tie the 328i key near the ignition ring, then the 328i EWS will sense the chip in that key and should allow it to start using your original ti key.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 03-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
brandnew07z

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
I was thinking backwards on the engine harness/body harness...

Since your ti is a manual, no need to worry. If you were doing the trans swap as well, then the car's General body module (ECU) would be looking for a trans and trans DME and throw errors. But you don't need to worry about that, you will just have a extra spot on the harness for a connection to the Trans stuff you won't use.

If you zip-tie the 328i key near the ignition ring, then the 328i EWS will sense the chip in that key and should allow it to start using your original ti key.
OHH thats awesome, great news actually... I was worried about having to buy a 328i computer with manual trans. I'm glad I don't the only thing I'll need is the gauge cluster from a 328i...

Thank you so much for the help, You've answered most of the questions I've had that I couldn't find in the forums.

Do you think there are any specific engine or trans bushings I should buy. I haven't looked to see the condition of them yet. I'm sure I won't be able to see until I pull the motor. But it'd be nice to have anything necessary ordered already?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:13 AM   #6
wolferj-RIP

just check the condition of the motor and trans mounts, replace if necessary... It's the perfect opportunity.

I first used UUC trans mounts, but they were a joke. Replaced them with OE e46 trans mounts, and they are perfect.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Tumiljones

Also you should probably look at changing to a medium case differential. The small diff that comes in the ti is not meant to handle the power of your m52. Great time for an LSD upgrade too. I did see a 3.23 medium case LSD on here for like $260 shipped which is a steal. I had to fork out over $400 for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tumiljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Tumiljones

I just bought reman axels from o'rielly to match the diff I bought. Life time warranty too!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
brandnew07z

Yeah I definitely plan on doing that. I was gonna wait though until after the swap and everything was complete. My main goal is get the Engine up to the transmission. And worry about the transmission and after later. I definitely agree though, an LSD will be a must.

Does anyone know if the suspension swap is an absolute must? I can't imagine the few extra pounds from the Engine requires the suspension. I've just recently replaced my lower control arms and bushings. I don't want to swap in an older more worn suspension from the donor car.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Tumiljones

I would use your new parts on the donor cradle and use the donor shocks (or if they are blown get new ones) and donor springs. All that stuff is interchangeable. Definitely check the power steering hoses for leaks Because it's the easiest time to change them. Springs and strut will be beefier. I believe the breaks were the same size on both my ti and the donor I used. I could be wrong about the sizes but I used the donor breaks because they were in better shape. Just choose the bigger sway bar.

You will want to probably replace the water pump with one that has a metal impeller and there is mixed reviews on the metal thermostat housing. Do your own research and decide for yourself. I also did the turner motorsports clutch fan delete. If you want to maximize reliability the cooling system is the place to start on your m52.

Another thing check the oil filter housing gasket for leaks while the engine is out. Although it's not a bad job to do in the car it's hard to clean the oil sludge off of the motor under the intake manifold.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
wolferj-RIP

LCA's, bushings, steering components are not going to be seriously impacted by the extra weight (about 150 lbs.). The parts I would recommend upgrading are struts/springs, as the ti ones are not up to handling the added stress.

I also want to point out that I recently had a very poor experience with aftermarket axles (one unit self destructed after 500 miles), and recommend OE replacements or OE reman.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
brandnew07z

Awesome man thanks for the info... I've already ordered a water pump. Read some iffy reviews about the metal impeller water pumps. So I just bought a composite replacement one. The donor car doesn't have the radiator fan so I'm going to wire in the electric one.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
brandnew07z

And thanks wolferj. I'll just swap the struts and springs over to my car. I've seen people who take the front bumper support off both cars and pull the engine out with suspension tied to it. Is that the best way to swap the motor over? It seems like it's more work, especially if you're not swapping all the suspension over?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnew07z View Post
Awesome man thanks for the info... I've already ordered a water pump. Read some iffy reviews about the metal impeller water pumps. So I just bought a composite replacement one. The donor car doesn't have the radiator fan so I'm going to wire in the electric one.
Wire in the Electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator with a dual temp switch, works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnew07z View Post
And thanks wolferj. I'll just swap the struts and springs over to my car. I've seen people who take the front bumper support off both cars and pull the engine out with suspension tied to it. Is that the best way to swap the motor over? It seems like it's more work, especially if you're not swapping all the suspension over?
Dropping the whole front subframe with the suspension attached is more work since you're not doing the suspension. It would be easier to do the engine & trans as a single unit for your swap.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
blatant

Instead of having the EWS removed via tune or using the 328i key, I would sync the EWS with the ti.

This can be done with a $10-$20 ebay usb to obd2 cable and gpeterson's software located here:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...&highlight=ews

I have used this on several dmes with no issues. Best of luck with the swap.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote