318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,848 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,722 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,084 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
HuGo

Default Increase horsepower

What can i do to increase horsepower to my stock 318ti. The only things tht came to mind *all motor, no turbo or Sp* Flywheels, Cam Gears, Cam Shafts, Intake what else can i do to improve speed and horses?? Please help me recommend, and the brand name of product, of possible, how much horses that products gives. thx.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

DASC
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
davep-uk

an induction kit and exhaust system is a pretty simple place to start. you won't get very big power gains but its a cheap way to start.

on my previous cars i have always stood by inductionkits by K & N, they seem to work well.

as for exhausts.....there have been so many posts about themits hard to give proper advice. search the forums for relevant articles.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
HuGo

not to be mean, but like i said, all motor, no turbo or SP *i ment to say SC* Anyway why ppl talk about DASC alot isnt there another good supercharger?? ANYWAY this isnt the topic about super chargers. thx

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep-uk
an induction kit and exhaust system is a pretty simple place to start. you won't get very big power gains but its a cheap way to start.

on my previous cars i have always stood by inductionkits by K & N, they seem to work well.

as for exhausts.....there have been so many posts about themits hard to give proper advice. search the forums for relevant articles.
What is better and what are the differences between, long air, cold air, short, and V2 intakes?? Have u guys herd of CO2?? anyway, topic again is What can i do to increase horsepower to my stock 318ti. The only things tht came to mind *all motor, no turbo or Sp* Flywheels, Cam Gears, Cam Shafts, Intake what else can i do to improve speed and horses?? Please help me recommend, and the brand name of product, of possible, how much horses that products gives. thx.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
davep-uk

ive used cold air intakes as a rule as the cooler the air the better for the engine. Hp increases depend on the brand but generally they say that you gain 3-8 BHP.

CO2? do you mean Nitrous Oxide?
thats pretty heavy gear. gotta make sure that the engine is bulletproof before upping the boost on that stuff.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

Old 12-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep-uk
ive used cold air intakes as a rule as the cooler the air the better for the engine. Hp increases depend on the brand but generally they say that you gain 3-8 BHP.

CO2? do you mean Nitrous Oxide?
thats pretty heavy gear. gotta make sure that the engine is bulletproof before upping the boost on that stuff.
whats bhp. isnt it the same as hp? Nah supposedly i herd that CO2 makes your whole engine cold, and like ice. Some crap like that.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
davep-uk

BHP: Brake horse power.

HP: horse power

same thing.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
aceyx

I've heard nothing about CO2, but I applaud the grassroots effort for power. (Not a slant against you FI folk, just a personal preference thing).

But please tell us your plans for this car so we can help you out as a whole, rather than in little bits here and there.

Also, is english your first language?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

CO2 works best when used with Forced Induction setups. There are a couple different systems but they work the same. CO2 is sprayed, which makes a metal ball extremely cold. This metal ball sits in your intake tract, which in turn cools the air down. Some people spray the CO2 onto their intercoolers to cool them.

I don't think this is recommended for NA motors, as I don't think the increase would be that much more than a cold air intake. The rest of the motor is still hot.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx

Also, is english your first language?
Why do u ask?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 AM   #12
andrewsarg101

One of the only ways to make good horsepower through a N/A engine is higher RPM. If you look at all the N/A cars that make high horsepower they have redlines in the high 8k mark. Take the new Lotus Elise for example. It makes only 100hp at 6250 RPM which is where the ti redlines, but after that the Elise uses higher rpm to take advantage of the cams to put out 164hp @ 8000 rpm at the wheels. This is also why Honda's V-TEC works. The cams do nothing until you get around 5000 RPM and its all hp from there. In order to do this to a ti you would have to do a full balance, port polish, forged everything, higher compression pistons, cams, and a fuel map to take advangtage fo the cams. And of course you could run nothing less then 93 octane gas, and even thats pushing it. Sure it would be nice to be able to run with forced fed cars, but when you look at your wallet you might cry.
andrewsarg101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #13
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
Why do u ask?
I'm not trying to be rude, but it often takes me a little time to read your posts. Typically, I just ignore things that take me too much effort to read (and trust me, I read legal cases all day so "difficult" sets a high bar) but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt since you're new here.

If you're not a native speaker, your English is pretty darn good.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
I'm not trying to be rude, but it often takes me a little time to read your posts. Typically, I just ignore things that take me too much effort to read (and trust me, I read legal cases all day so "difficult" sets a high bar) but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt since you're new here.

If you're not a native speaker, your English is pretty darn good.
I dont get it. Your saying i speak english good or bad?? By the way, i learned english in school, im hispanic, by school i mean kindergarden. I was born here.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
robcarync

hes saying your spelling and grammar isnt so great sometimes and it can be difficult to read some of your messages. thats all. just curious if english was your native language.
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote