318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 392,184 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
Bobbak

Default shifter acts wierd

when my car is in neutral i can pull up on the stickshifter and have to push it down a little bit i asked my dad andhe said it wasn't a big deal the car shifts fine but when the shifter is pulled up and you try to shife it sometimes "pops" out of gear or sometimes i shift good and i grind a gear. my dad sais that if I want to fix this it little problem that we'd have to take out the engine and tranny please tell me what you think!
Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
96 3 1 8 ti

You have bad synchros like me. I think it was a factory recall
sport model, m3 bumper cover, velocity splitter, AKG shift knob, factory clears, super sprint exhaust, UUC floormats, UUC tranny mounts, UUC clutch bushings, UUC shifter bushings, Powerflex LCABS... replaced with treehouse eyeballs, front sway bar bushings, RTABS, TMS rear shock mounts, Bilsteins, Xbrace, sparco strut brace, AKG subframe bushings, AKG differential mount bushing, M coupe shifter, meyle ball joints and sway bar endlinks
96 3 1 8 ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
m3outtanowhere

actually...it sounds like you have a retaining pin or clip missing from the bottom of the shifter(under the car). There might have been an aftermarket shifter installed or just broke. My advise is to get under the car and see if it is missing a clip and maybe if it has been replaced. FIX: find part missing and go to dealer or buy a new shift kit.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
m3outtanowhere

Default clutchless shifting and synchros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 3 1 8 ti
You have bad synchros like me. I think it was a factory recall
synchros match the selected gear to the speed of the motor(or try) . these allow for less wear on the clutch and makes for smother shifting. with no synchros shifting would be rough and grindy and in order to up shift; releasing the gas is needed. The can be experienced with "clutchless" shifting.

DO NOT TRY -at least on ur car - In practice or emergency situations shifting without a clutch requires you to (in perfect order) feather off the gas but remain steady, pull shifter into neutral when car is at its "no stress" decelleration(just b-4 slowing). Let R.P.M.'s drop/raise EXACT amount needed for gear change. ANd magically the gear falls into place. Never had a problem with my own cars but i taught this to an ex-girlfriend...no more honda 4 her!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
Mad-Machine

As somebody who used to Amatuer rally in the SCCA.. shifting without the clutch is not even that hard.. just a matter of timing and knowing your car and where the natural shift points are.

as for your problem.. I too think it must be a problem in the shift mechanism itself.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
m3outtanowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Machine
As somebody who used to Amatuer rally in the SCCA.. shifting without the clutch is not even that hard.. just a matter of timing and knowing your car and where the natural shift points are.

as for your problem.. I too think it must be a problem in the shift mechanism itself.
well i know that man. but from past experiences i know that u dont want to just TEll someone that it can be done. u have to show them
Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
Bobbak

ok thanks for the tips ill check it out to see if any pins are missing
Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #8
Mad-Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3outtanowhere
well i know that man. but from past experiences i know that u dont want to just TEll someone that it can be done. u have to show them
True enough.. better to scare them into not trying it.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote