318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Regional Forums > United States > California > SoCal

Notices

SoCal For the discussion of social events in Southern California only.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,022,507 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
HuGo

Default Shifter Confusion/Help

So i went to BMW and bought the Z3 shifter. Came out more expensive than i though. realoem.com prices are for wholesalers. Either way i saved 20 bucks from getting it through ebay. I thought i was going to save like 60

Anyway, i am confused as to see how the Z3 shifter is shorter? The one on the right is my Ti one, and the left is the Z3. How is the Z3 a 30% shorter throw? It looks a bit longer, and the little ball sits higher? Can someone explain if it is a shorter shifter than my Ti or not? And if it is shorter, how do you determine where to see that indicates that it is shorter.

Thanks a lot.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
wolferj-RIP

Hugo;

The difference is the distance below the ball pivot... It's a leverage principal. The longer length on the lower portion of the shaft causes more travel on the linkage with the same movement on the upper portion of the shaft.

Since the linkage travel is the same, it translates to requiring less travel on the upper portion of the shaft, ie: shorter shifts.

Does that help?
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
Hugo;

The difference is the distance below the ball pivot... It's a leverage principal. The longer length on the lower portion of the shaft causes more travel on the linkage with the same movement on the upper portion of the shaft.

Since the linkage travel is the same, it translates to requiring less travel on the upper portion of the shaft, ie: shorter shifts.

Does that help?
So then I did get a shorter shifter?

Where i did notice it was smaller in length was from the top of the shift to the bottom (before it gets thin)

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
wolferj-RIP

No Hugo, it appears that the actual height of the shaft will be the same as before when it's installed.

The "short" part of the name refers only to the distance between shifts, meaning that the shift knob will travel shorter distances between each gear.

If you want the shifter shaft to be not as tall, I would talk to a metal shop about chopping off some of the top and cutting a new groove for the knob...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
HuGo

I dont care about the height. The height was ok with me. I dont really like it when its buried in there and it looks like your hand will disappear lol. But as far as the throw goes and getting it into gears, it is shorter right? As it appears in the pic.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
wolferj-RIP

Yes, the throw will be shorter... It's hard to say how much difference you may notice, however... My experience with my WRX was minimal after I swapped the stock for a short throw... Hopefully this will be more noticeable.

I agree not to screw with the actual height of the shaft, just looking for trouble you don't need there...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
HuGo

Kool. Thanks. Its suppose to be 30% less. LoL. If i dont notice crap, im assed out 120 bucks lol.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:15 AM   #8
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Kool. Thanks. Its suppose to be 30% less. LoL. If i dont notice crap, im assed out 120 bucks lol.
I think you'll notice 30% less... I mean you'd notice if a girl had 30% less chest, right?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Marv17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
I think you'll notice 30% less... I mean you'd notice if a girl had 30% less chest, right?
LMAO!!! haha. yeah true.
sry had to butt in but just had to LAUGH.
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
HuGo

LoL thats funny. I would also say you'll notice if they gain or lost 30% same goes that we are probably 30% smaller than a regular e36