318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,025,445 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
arcticZ3

Default 96 Z3 Rough Idle

Hey guys - I'm new to this forum, but my 1996 Z3 has been acting weird lately and I could really use some help. I know the M44 rough idle thing has been beaten to death, but I spent close to 10 hrs searching the forums and checking for leaks, sensors, codes, fuel trims, and I can't put my finger on it. Here's what's happening: My car has developed a random misfire P0301 and P0300 (pending for weeks and no CEL), and is especially prevalent when the engine is cold. I cleared the codes and rescanned, and they both disappear, but if I scan when I can really feel the misfire, I get the same 2 codes. When I drive or rev the engine, I notice no irregularities and the car pulls and runs well. The bulk of the misfire is felt at idle (<900 RPM) and when cold (although you feel an occasional misfire at idle when at operating temp). Here is my exhaust noise about 2 min after starting the car cold in the morning: http://youtu.be/VMcmoEUsBKc My RPMs tend to be pretty steady, except for a rare, minor idle hunt (usually felt when the engine misfires at a stoplight or something). The idle hunts a little bit when coming to a stop, but then steadies out. There is a larger hunt when I reverse and move (no hunt when the car is stationary in reverse). Here's what I know so far: -Smoke test revealed a very very very small vacuum leak from under the screw that keeps the CCV in place on the back of the intake manifold. I don't think that would cause this much of a rough idle (please correct me if I'm wrong). -Dry Compression on all 4 cylinders is close to 195psi. -Coolant temp sensor was replaced yesterday because I had one sitting around. -Unplugging the MAF did not help with anything. -IACV was cleaned yesterday...doesn't appear to be causing any problems. -Fuel pressure seems low at the head of the rail (I was reading 35PSI) so I changed the fuel pump which brought the pressure to about 42ish, but it was 37 when I started it. Got to 42ish by giving it a little rev. I had 3 different other heads examine the problem and no one can pinpoint it. The engine is clearly misfiring at idle, so it isn't just a light M44 lumpy idle. I'm thinking this is a fuel delivery problem because of the nature of the misfire only at idle, where fuel pressure is relatively small. However, would these symptoms be caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator or bad camshaft position sensor? I'm really at a loss so I was hoping someone more familiar with the M44 could help me out. I really appreciate it.
arcticZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Monolith

Start with the basics and change the fuel filter (under the car beneath the driver's seat). Clean the fuel injectors (remove them and clean the injector ends). Grime builds up on the ends of the injectors affecting the spray patterns. Next - spark plugs. Pull them and make sure they are gapped correctly with no fouling. Look for oil in the spark plug holes (commonly caused by leaks from the valve cover).

Cam sensor will cause rough idling and eventually the car will not run at all. If you replace it, use only a genuine BMW part. The China COO part usually fails quickly.
Mods: DASC, NickG Stage II DME software, 30# injectors, RRFPR removed, DISA Simulator, Secondary Air Pump relocated, bypass cooling hose removed, Fogged airbox, Bosch silver sparkplugs (F6DSR), Magnecore sparkplug wires (KV85), SeattleCircuit mpg adjuster circuit; Textar CeramicFusion brake pads; S/E/M auto trans selector with Euro software TCU; Royal Purple trans (MaxATF) & diff fluids; Koni FSD (F&R); Rogue RSMs; Strong Strut; Butt Strut; Bridgestone Fuzion ZR1 225/50/16 on Style 42's; hardtop; Footwell lighting; Interior lighting On/Off switchable; Euro intermittent wipers; Padded LeatherZ arm rests; Sisa Design Cabrio Wind Deflector;

Last edited by Monolith; 06-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote