318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,015,329 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
jobimmer

Default my idle is rough need help! 95 TI

I just changed my valve cover gasket and then i plug my spark plug wires back and started the car to see if everything is ok. My idle become rough im thinking that there is a misfire some where or maby i screwed some thing up while changing the gasket. and Is this the correct firing order from the valcover for my car. please help!!

back of car 4321 Front of car
jobimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Gunnails

Default this is a great DIY site

never changed the plugs or valve cover myself, but this is a great site with detailed instructions and pics.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...alve-Cover.htm
Gunnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
jobimmer

that description is not very helpful but thanks anyways.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

did you put back the same plugs and wires? are they the original plug wires? if so, one may have gotten broken when removing/installing them.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
jobimmer

Angry

the plugs and wires are the same and no i don't see any damage on the wires or plugs. And the plugs and wires are only 2month old. I have a slight feeling that there is a leak some where in the valve cover gasket causing loss of compression. I might just take it apart again to see if the gasket is in place correctly.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #6
DeadpaN

If I were you, I'd pull all the plugs and inspect them to see if you can determine which, if any, cylinder is misfiring and then I'd make sure that everything is torqued to spec. Also, I bought this cool little SparkPlugWire tester, made by Lisle for like $5. All you do is touch it to each wire and it will light up if its working. I think you can get them at Sears.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobimmer
the plugs and wires are the same and no i don't see any damage on the wires or plugs. And the plugs and wires are only 2month old. I have a slight feeling that there is a leak some where in the valve cover gasket causing loss of compression. I might just take it apart again to see if the gasket is in place correctly.
you may not see the damage, as it could be to the shield under the outer sheathing. what wires did you use to replace the factory wires? i don't disagree that it could be the gasket though.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 12-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
jobimmer

I bought the wires from the BMW dealership and the plugs are Bosch 2 plat. and before i changed the valve cover gasket the car was running fine, i'm almost done taken off the valve cover again.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #9
jobimmer

Finished putting back the valve cover and plugs and wires the car started up fine no shake or anything went to work while driving on the freeway and suddenly the car lost HP and sounded really bad like exaust leak or something i'm just going to take it in to the shop to have them check it out.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobimmer
Finished putting back the valve cover and plugs and wires the car started up fine no shake or anything went to work while driving on the freeway and suddenly the car lost HP and sounded really bad like exaust leak or something i'm just going to take it in to the shop to have them check it out.
uuhhh ... that sux. let us know what they find