318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 944,530 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,639 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Panzer_M

Default Installing M coupe Sway mounts(lower)

M Coupe vs Ti mounts lower. As you can see the M is wider, thicker and bigger than the stock Ti mount...size is good, but in tight areas it can also be a hinderance.but it's working with just a few minor changes.

installed on Ti Arm. Well test fitted on the arm in this pic.

To install

Rasp out the TA hole with a 3/8" rasp(Need to make sure that's the one i used)

you also need a OE Spacer-washer to snug fit the OE Sway link(but should clear the bigger Black Urethane Links no problem)

Installing is a bit of a bugger with the brakeline there, you need to raise the mount up to get the 16mm nut under the arm and tighten it. Working on a easier way to do it than the way I came up with.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
L84THSKY

I just bought the adjustable/greasable end links. Will they fit in the m-coupe bracket? If so, all I need a is an adjustable rear sway bar.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
Panzer_M

how much/where did you get the links?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
Panzer_M

btw, running the Club Sport bar temp..til I get some powerflex bushings and prob a M coupe bar and new links.(Either OEs or the blacks depending on the flo' of dough for car mods at the time of purchase)
Old 04-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
L84THSKY

I bought them from UUC for $100.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
how much/where did you get the links?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 04-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
Panzer_M

Def, post a review when you get them.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
L84THSKY

I already have them. They look just like the picture. I can't use them till I find an adjustable rear sway bar.

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
L84THSKY

Is this the correct rear bar for our cars? I'm referring to the M-coupe one. Why do they list both an M-coupe and a Roadster rear bar, what's the difference?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=71754

I forget, how much thicker is that bar than the M-tech rear bar?

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
Panzer_M

3mm.... 16 vs 19
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Panzer_M

not sure if there is a differance between the Z3M bars.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
L84THSKY

Just ordered the H & R m-coupe rear sway bar. From what I read, I also need part # 3 & 6 in the picture, to use the thicker bushings and my new adjustable end links.

Quote:
not sure if there is a differance between the Z3M bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	3a.png Views:	342 Size:	4.8 KB ID:	3624  

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
turbof128

Subscribing to this thread. Keep us updated on how the install goes.
turbof128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Panzer_M

here is my list of what I used.

# 7, # 8, cause the bolt is longer than the Ti's(and might as well get a new nut)

#6 M Coupe/Z3M Lower Sway Bracket.

# 4, which is a 16mm nut vs the Ti's 13mm nut(Ti's will not work with the Z3M Bracket)

The Upper 4 is still the OE Ti since you use the 318ti's stud attached to the frame, so it's still a 13mm nut..but I replaced it as well.

I also picked up new #3(M Coupe Brackets, Upper), but they are still in bags since I am still using a 16mm rear sway bar.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
L84THSKY

Just ordered all the misc parts from Circle BMW

Quote:
here is my list of what I used.

# 7, # 8, cause the bolt is longer than the Ti's(and might as well get a new nut)

#6 M Coupe/Z3M Lower Sway Bracket.

# 4, which is a 16mm nut vs the Ti's 13mm nut(Ti's will not work with the Z3M Bracket)

The Upper 4 is still the OE Ti since you use the 318ti's stud attached to the frame, so it's still a 13mm nut..but I replaced it as well.

I also picked up new #3(M Coupe Brackets, Upper), but they are still in bags since I am still using a 16mm rear sway bar.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
squirrel

The M coupe bar is 19mm vs the M roadster bar which is 18mm. I have the coupe bar in my ti and it made a noticeable difference in the handling of the car. A relatively cheap and must have upgrade for anyone upgrading a ti's suspension.

All I changed were the brackets, bushings and bar. All stock M coupe pieces. You could go with urethane but I don't feel it could be a huge improvement.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote