318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,128 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Kraln

Default What should I do next?

I've been pooling my money, getting ready to do something to my ti... but now I'm conflicted as to what - and in what order.

Here's all the stuff I want to eventually do, I was wondering if you guys could help me prioritize it?
  • Euro-spec headlights with angel eyes
  • Thumping audio system /w custom sub enclosure in the hatch
  • Some form of CAI
  • Bosal Exhaust catback kit
  • SESC/DASC (M42 Version)
  • Sport Suspension (HR/Billstien, etc)
  • Better brakes

I've already got a front strut tower brace, and some other miscellaneous things. I've got the money - what should I go for first? Would parts would you suggest?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Bluebimma

Id say:

Suspension+Brakes before more power
Dasc+Intake+Exhaust
Euro Specs
Anything after that for ICE

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraln
I've been pooling my money, getting ready to do something to my ti... but now I'm conflicted as to what - and in what order.

Here's all the stuff I want to eventually do, I was wondering if you guys could help me prioritize it?
  • Some form of CAI
  • Better brakes

I've already got a front strut tower brace, and some other miscellaneous things. I've got the money - what should I go for first? Would parts would you suggest?

DASC
Brakes
Exhaust
Suspension
Headlights

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
1uvaknd

DASC + Exhaust
Suspension
Headlights
Brakes

or

DASC + Exhaust
Brakes
Suspension
Headlights
M-Technic Front/Rear, M3 Side Skirts & Mirrors, MS Roof Wing, Euro Tail Lights, Projector Signals, ADR M Sport 18x8.5, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstien Sport Shocks, E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts, M Roadster Rear Shock Mount Plates, Momo Shift Knob, Bavauto 8mm Perf Wires, K&N Cone Filter, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Cross Drilled Rotors, 20 Piece Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, NR White Guage Face, X-Brace, BMP Strut Tower Brace, UUC stage 2 flywheel, and SS clutch line
1uvaknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Kraln

I see no great love of Scrivner? What about the audio?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
L84THSKY

Consider the DASC as the last upgrade in terms of performance. The reason is, it will put more demand on alot other areas of your car.

Do brakes, suspension, clutch, exhaust/CAI and Diff changes first. Then the car is ready for a supercharger.

As for me, I did all the changes I just mentioned, minus the brakes, since my car had vented discs stock.

Next year I'm gonna consider the SEAM supercharger.

Quote:

• Some form of CAI
  • Better brakes

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Bluebimma

Quote:
What about the audio?
What kind of headunit are you going for, Satelite/CD's/Ipod? As for speakers, something stealthy that doesnt attract thieves and haters. Id upgrade all the speakers to better quality speakers and get one 10" in custom side enclosure with hidden amp.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
BmWwHiPPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma
What kind of headunit are you going for, Satelite/CD's/Ipod? As for speakers, something stealthy that doesnt attract thieves and haters. Id upgrade all the speakers to better quality speakers and get one 10" in custom side enclosure with hidden amp.
he was looking for some "thump" i think that a 12 will suit it for a good amount of thump in the car but not out of the car....with my car i get a good amount of bass inside but i go to try to listen to it outside and its almost silent!
BmWwHiPPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Kraln

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Consider the DASC as the last upgrade in terms of performance. The reason is, it will put more demand on alot other areas of your car.
Agreed. I was wondering why DustenT had it at the top of his list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
Do brakes, suspension, clutch, exhaust/CAI and Diff changes first. Then the car is ready for a supercharger.
Car already has a LSD on it - was very happy to find that out. Brakes, Suspension, Clutch, Exhaust/Intake in that order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimma
What kind of headunit are you going for, Satelite/CD's/Ipod?
I'd like one that matches (or can match) the OE amber color of the rest of the car, and preferably with some sort of aux line-in. The lack of a line in is forgivable if it plays mp3 cds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmWwHiPPin
he was looking for some "thump"
Indeed. I'd like at least decent amount of sound quality for everyday listening, but when a civic pulls up next to me listening to gangster rap, I'd like to be able to rattle their fartcan off.

The one place I've talked to so far was talking about two 10" MTX subs in the back being driven by a 600w amp.

Keep the ideas coming
Old 08-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
BmWwHiPPin

Quote:

Car already has a LSD on it - was very happy to find that out. Brakes, Suspension, Clutch, Exhaust/Intake in that order?

I'd like one that matches (or can match) the OE amber color of the rest of the car, and preferably with some sort of aux line-in. The lack of a line in is forgivable if it plays mp3 cds.

Indeed. I'd like at least decent amount of sound quality for everyday listening, but when a civic pulls up next to me listening to gangster rap, I'd like to be able to rattle their fartcan off.

The one place I've talked to so far was talking about two 10" MTX subs in the back being driven by a 600w amp.

Keep the ideas coming
alright if you want to rattle the fartcan off of a civic this is what you need 1 diamond 12" subwoofer....my buddy has one of those in his Audi and the bass is so clean and clear and loud it is amazing! tho somewhat pricey i think worth every penny!
i would also recomend some 6x9's in your hatch lid i put some in mine and it sounds alot better!
BmWwHiPPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
mohaughn

For the performance options I think safety before speed.

There are plenty of good quality subs out there that will give a lot of thump out of a single 10" speaker... I have a phoenix gold titanium 10, with a phoenix gold 400 watt mono amp driving it... It is plenty loud, and very clean/clear at lower volumes... If you go with a high quality speaker that can actually handle 400-600 watts of power, and use a good clean amplifier that can really delivery 400-600 watts of power I think that is the ideal solution for a stealth but loud install.

Also keep in mind that at about a real 600-800 watts of power at 12volts you will be putting about 80-100 amps of draw on the alternator.. Meaning you will have very bad headlight dimming issues without also using capacitors and possibly an upgraded battery or the high power bosch OEM alternator.

Amps that deliver true power ratings are ones like PPI, phoenix gold, soundstream, Oz and other amps in that caliber. Keep in mind that most entry level amps are overrated in terms of power output. You are not going to really get 800 watts out of that 80$ boss amplifier.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Unless you are going to get a big brake kit, why wait to supercharge it? Stock rotor/calipers with some nice pads will stop you just fine. Exhaust does VERY little for a stock motor, so wait until you have the SC before getting that.

My car was basically stock when I got the SC, I had ZERO problems with stopping or turning.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
L84THSKY

Brakes, suspension and clutch are the things to consider first

Quote:

Keep the ideas coming

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
L84THSKY

Let the supercharger be the icing on the cake. Otherwise people are going to throw that thing in and abuse their car, and possibly injure themselves.

Not everyone on this site has common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
Unless you are going to get a big brake kit, why wait to supercharge it? Stock rotor/calipers with some nice pads will stop you just fine. Exhaust does VERY little for a stock motor, so wait until you have the SC before getting that.

My car was basically stock when I got the SC, I had ZERO problems with stopping or turning.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 08-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #15
Bluebimma

I agree with L84thsky, the supercharger should be last along with the intake and exhaust.