318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1995 318i M42 removal of...
Yesterday 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
Yesterday 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 230 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 2,116 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 325 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 533 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,368 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
John Firestone

Default Adding one-touch turn signals

As most of you have seen or read, some of the latest models from Germany will flash the turn signals 3 or 4 times when you briefly tap the turn stalk. Ron Stygar and I figured out how to add this to the E36 3ers and Z3s a couple years back after a bunch of Z3 guys over at bimmerfest.com got wind of this feature and all enthusiastic about adding it to their cars.

While it may seem a little frivolous -- it did to Ron and me when we first heard about it -- it is actually quite handy and useful. With just a brief tap of the turn stalk, you can squirt off a string of 3 or 5 flashes when you wish to change lanes, effectively "fire and forget", and then direct your attention to the surrounding traffic you are about to crunch into. Ron also uses his to fire off some flashes when he goes through an intersection at speed. That way, he doesn't have to worry about latching the turn stalk and forgetting to cancel it.

I designed and programmed a small automotive controller to add this one-touch turn signal feature to our cars. I have been making up a harness for people to insert the controller between the turn stalk and turn signal relay, along side the steering column. Here is a picture of an early prototype that shows how it plugs in:

Everything you see stretching to the floor neatly tucks in and coils up under the dash.

The installation is plug and play, doesn't disturb the stock wiring, and fully reversible. After you remove the driver's kick (facia) and U.S. knee protection panels, the hardest part is probably unclipping and unplugging the turn stalk connector.

The controller can also remove the 116 mph limiter on M44 and later cars. That installation is not quite as plug and play. You need to run a wire over to the ABS/ASC+T controller (behind the glove box), pop out a connector contact, insert another and then slide a couple contacts together and fix them with heat shrink.

As to cost, I have been charging people $60 + $30 + shipping for the controller and harness, or a little a bit more for a harness for a non-U.S. car with one-sided parking lights. If anyone is interested in a gizmo, they can email at johnf at freenet dot de (preferred), or send me a PM. I don't think anyone that has added one has been disappointed!
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Silver00spike

interesting
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i created a knowledgebase article too ... http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...0202#post50202
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
davep-uk

it is actually law over here now that all newly produced cars have to have that feature. my friend is a driving instructor and says it causes loads of problems when his students press the wrong indicator and try to change their minds.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
aceyx

Do you have a mod for the single-side parking lights?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
i created a knowledgebase article too ... http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...0202#post50202
I wonder if there is a way I can edit the copy to correct a couple typos.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver00spike
interesting
That was Ron's and my first reaction as well. But then we starting using the lane change feature and found it is really cool. Unlike adding white tail lights, for example, it is something you also constantly notice and enjoy.

I think it would be amusing to have more people add it to their 'ti's: just as a little reminder to some drivers of newer models who think their cars are tight.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep-uk
it is actually law over here now that all newly produced cars have to have that feature. my friend is a driving instructor and says it causes loads of problems when his students press the wrong indicator and try to change their minds.
I didn't realize it was now required elsewhere. BMW's system can be kind of confusing because: the signals can stay latched after the stalk is no longer latched and to unlatch/cancel the signals you have to purposely tap but not "latch" the stalk.

Fortunately, we preserved and only augmented the turn stalk's traditional behavoir, and didn't open that can of worms. If you find the signal is latched on, you simply unlatch it; if you signal a lane change and decide against it, you give another tap and signal you are moving back.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Do you have a mod for the single-side parking lights?
You bet. The BMW CCA Roundel even published it. You need to substitute a European-market turn stalk with parking light detents and contacts, run three wires to +12V and the split parking light circuits, and splice in to them with three comb connector sleeves.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
L84THSKY

Just so I am clear, the turn signal indicators in the dash flash 4 times, just like the actual corner lights? Would this work with or without OBC? Any chance we can get a "group buy" and save on shipping? I realize you are in Germany.

Thanks
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone
That was Ron's and my first reaction as well. But then we starting using the lane change feature and found it is really cool. Unlike adding white tail lights, for example, it is something you also constantly notice and enjoy.

I think it would be amusing to have more people add it to their 'ti's: just as a little reminder to some drivers of newer models who think their cars are tight.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
John Firestone

You can code the controller to flash the turn signals 3 or 5 times and choose what's best for where you live. Having an OBC should be no problem (I have one on my car, and I think Ron's ti has one as well).

I like the idea of a group buy to save on shipping if someone is willing to receive the package. I don't want to fattening up the German Post with what they want to send small parcels (more than twice as much as sending things the other way!).
Old 01-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #12
L84THSKY

I'm in for one...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone
You can code the controller to flash the turn signals 3 or 5 times and choose what's best for where you live. Having an OBC should be no problem (I have one on my car, and I think Ron's ti has one as well).

I like the idea of a group buy to save on shipping if someone is willing to receive the package. I don't want to fattening up the German Post with what they want to send small parcels (more than twice as much as sending things the other way!).

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

John, did you have some other controllers available as well? if so, can you please describe those and their functions, plus the costs?

after that, L8, i'd set up a group buy thread to gather interest.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 01-25-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
L84THSKY

Eric

That is a good idea. What are all the controllers?
I'm too lazy to start a group buy thread, how about you do it?

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
John, did you have some other controllers available as well? if so, can you please describe those and their functions, plus the costs?

after that, L8, i'd set up a group buy thread to gather interest.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i can once we hear back from john. i thought he had at least one other controller, but i don't remember what all it did. once we get that info and pricing on it (if there is another), i'll start up a group buy thread. cool?

john, did i fix all the spelling corrections you wanted in the HOW-TO for one touch turns signal mod? if not, PM me what still needs to be tweaked and i'll get it updated. thx.