318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,028,202 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Shades

Default What is this radiator hose called?

Hey guys, just replaced my radiator for my 95 318ti hatch. Now everything went well except my hose is leaking, or leaking worse. If you could help, what is the hose called that hooks(clamps) to the very bottom of the radiator by the drain plug? It's not as big as the other two hoses.(appx. 1" diameter) If you remove this hose it'll drain all coolant. And how do you remove the other side? It's buried in the engine, do I cut it out? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Shades; 07-23-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Romak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Hey guys, just replaced my radiator for my 95 318ti hatch. Now everything went well except my hose is leaking, or leaking worse. If you could help, what is the hose called that hooks(clamps) to the very bottom of the radiator by the drain plug? It's not as big as the other two hoses.(appx. 1" diameter) If you remove this hose it'll drain all coolant. And how do you remove the other side? It's buried in the engine, do I cut it out? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.
It attaches to the plastic coolant pipe on the block, It'll take a few hours work to replace but if it's leaking it needs to be done!

Number 4 in this diagram

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...01&hg=11&fg=35

1995 Bmw 318ti - Cordoba rot
Romak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Shades

Thank you Romak. Yep that's the one. I finally removed it. Sprayed wd and twisted it off. There was no room to get to it and I don't know how to take the manifold off. My local dealers don't know what this hose is called and can't match a photo so I'm gonna have to order somewhere online. This part has so many names it could be, water hose, return hose, bypass hose, coolant hose, etc.
EDIT: Found it
http://www.**************/catalog/199...ling_hose.html

Last edited by Shades; 07-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
30yrMbr

Vehicles

Follow the link in Romak's post, to RealOEM.com. The part number for item #4 is there and the name of the part. It is called a water hose and is about $30 bucks at the Dealer. Less if you are a BMWCCA club member, most dealers offer discounts on parts.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Romak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Thank you Romak. Yep that's the one. I finally removed it. Sprayed wd and twisted it off. There was no room to get to it and I don't know how to take the manifold off. My local dealers don't know what this hose is called and can't match a photo so I'm gonna have to order somewhere online. This part has so many names it could be, water hose, return hose, bypass hose, coolant hose, etc.
EDIT: Found it
http://www.**************/catalog/199...ling_hose.html
Don't get the first hose in the link you posted that's the wrong one, either of the second 2 hoses are correct, the upper intake is easy to take off the lower is a bit more involved, check the knowledge base section on this forum for write ups on how to remove those. If you're lucky you can squeeze your hand in there and get it back on maybe from underneath the car without taking anything off. Good luck!

Btw like 30yrMbr mentioned, realoem.com will be your friend when it comes to fixing your car.

1995 Bmw 318ti - Cordoba rot
Romak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Shades

Thanks guys. Ordered from BMW 35 bucks. I called partsgeek and received no answer over and over so I reviewed their customer reviews and they were the worst I've ever seen. So yeah I'll try the realoem and BMW.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Shades

Smile

After replacing the radiator and water hose, my car was still leaking and overheating. I only experienced this while the car sat running while in a drive thru or in a store. My buddy looked at it and we fixed. DONT FORGET TO OVERLOOK the actual radiator cap. Mine was bad the whole time. It leaked under the cap and down through a small gap of the expansion tank and gave the illusion that other things were leaking. lol. I thread taped it for now and it's good. Hope this helps save anyone some work.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
Daryl DeMoor

expansion tank caps are actually common issues, and looking at the O-rings is easy enough. most shops just sell you a cap, but you can pull the O-rings and replace. (2 o-rings, sometimes the bottom one will crack at the land and the lower one may already be gone, it that case it must have a new cap)
Daryl DeMoor is offline   Reply With Quote