318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,310,916 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
95ClubSportDelaware

Default New to the site, just saying Hello

Hey everybody...I love this site. Figured I'd stop trolling and start chipping in. It's great to see people who love these cars and struggle with some of the same stuff I do. I have a 95 Red Club Sport. I took brand new delivery on 2/19/96, and I have 216K miles without a single breakdown or accident. Everything is original, clutch, suspension, etc. Yeah, I hit a deer and got side-swiped while parked but I don't count it unless I was in it and hit or got hit by another car, haha.

My dash light has been out for for years (only read mileage at night) and my driver-side window has broken three times (picked it up yesterday from the dealer, $460 for a new actuator, guides and clips...ugh.) Plastic clips on the rear deck lid are busted. But seriously, this thing is long paid for and I'd have to spend 600/month for anything new that I'd like even a little bit, so I don't mind maintaining it. I get oil changes every 6-7 weeks with my mileage, and the drivetrain has been a dream. Running Pilot AS Sports now (for a second time), and I can't imagine anything better for all purpose.

It's time to do a couple little things so I can get 200K more enjoyable miles. I like my stock setup (except for the Sirius in dash I did last year), so let me know what you guys think: my steering wheel cover is shredded at the top (sun I guess), and my little stock M shift knob spins around on a broken clip. Shock tower right-rear speaker is flakey (sounds like loose change especially on talk radio channels.) Big thing is the suspension--when I got it, it was like a rock, now it's rolling in the turns a bit and speed bumps hit hard. Can I even get replacement parts for the stock M-Tech suspension? I figure I need shocks/springs, but I'm a total newbie to aftermarket.

Anyway...I really appreciate the forum contributors. Hopefully my long and happy relationship with mine will yield something to contribute.
95ClubSportDelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
nick_hegel

MMMM Club Sport! u lucky one u. Anyway I got a steering wheel cover from bavauto.com for like $40/$50 and they also have an assortment of shift knobs to pick from. Have you ever replaced your shocks?? If not, they should be done. Bilstein or Koni shocks are the most common and may as well get some lowering springs at the same time. BTW Welcome!
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
stormos

welcome, welcome. plenty of grease monkeys here willing to give excellent guidance, so ask away!

NIck.
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Welcome to the site.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Platanos

Welcome,

This site kicks A$$, I'm fairly new to this site and I don't know jack, but I have learned a great deal. These guys are my new mechanics!!! But don't tell them that cause I ain't paying 'em.

Fernando
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
95ClubSportDelaware

I really want to maintain that stock look. The steering wheel covers at bavauto are cool, but they are all partially red. I want all black leather (if that's what it is in the first place), and I guess I'll have to dig my insert out of my current shift knob because they don't have it. Which sux, cuz it's all sun faded. Is there a site for genuine period-specific parts, or am I junkyard diving? Same goes for floormats. I'm just picky about this sh!t...maybe I gotta let it go and get a sweet aluminum momo knob. Haha, original and WORN OUT is no better.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
AlaskaBlue

Welcome to the site. 95 ti's are the best. Even if you do want to keep a stock appearance I would suggest a suspension upgrade. I have coil-overs and I love them, but even a sport spring/koni shock would be good. I haven't done a more satisfying mod to the car than the suspension.

As for the shift knob, I have a sparco shift knob. It makes the shifter a lot shorter in height. I like it.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
95ClubSportDelaware

What's the shortest shift knob with a pattern on it? I'd like that so the valet guys know where to find R.

What have you guys done about the rubber weather stripping at the base of the back window? Seems like a daily routine to push it back in before I get in the car.

I think the ClubSport suspension was dropped .5 inch to start with. I'd like to go another 1-1.5 inch lower. Got any specific setup recommendations for shock/spring? Alternatively, what's the plus/minus to coil-overs? I don't want anything too adjustable, or brutally rough on the daily commute. Just something that at least gets me back to the original M-Tech feel and maybe a touch better. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
nick_hegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95ClubSportDelaware
I really want to maintain that stock look. The steering wheel covers at bavauto are cool, but they are all partially red. I want all black leather (if that's what it is in the first place), and I guess I'll have to dig my insert out of my current shift knob because they don't have it. Which sux, cuz it's all sun faded. Is there a site for genuine period-specific parts, or am I junkyard diving? Same goes for floormats. I'm just picky about this sh!t...maybe I gotta let it go and get a sweet aluminum momo knob. Haha, original and WORN OUT is no better.
The one I have is all black leather.
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
What have you guys done about the rubber weather stripping at the base of the back window? Seems like a daily routine to push it back in before I get in the car.
That is pretty common. I guess you might be able to find somekind of adhesive. After a few years it won't bother you.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
95ClubSportDelaware

A few years? Steven, I'm in my tenth year...haha and if I don't do it, the plastic buckets in the trunk seem to get wet. May be unrelated, but I'm not sure.

Off topic (like this whole thread): Anyone else peel off that black tape on the door window frame where it joins the B-Pillar? Mine cracked and started to peel like 7 years ago, so I peeled it all off (tedious, and terpentine) and I kinda like the body color paint there.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:00 AM   #12
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
A few years? Steven, I'm in my tenth year...haha and if I don't do it, the plastic buckets in the trunk seem to get wet. May be unrelated, but I'm not sure.

Off topic (like this whole thread): Anyone else peel off that black tape on the door window frame where it joins the B-Pillar? Mine cracked and started to peel like 7 years ago, so I peeled it all off (tedious, and terpentine) and I kinda like the body color paint there.
I think the water is unrelated. Most likely you have a drain clogged. If the rear window is installed like the front, the rubber is just trim since the window is glued.

There was a recall on the peeling tape several years ago.
The fix was paint or delete.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
AlaskaBlue

Coil-overs

Plus
height adjustable
rebound and compression adjustable
great handling
not too confusing to tune in

Minus
Have to take wheels off to adjust height
rebound an compression is not a common adjustment
Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
95ClubSportDelaware

OK, I have to actually go out and do this suspension work now, and get some new rubber. I figured I'd use this old thread so no one had to repeat themselves. Maybe I can tell you about me and what I want, and you guys can make a recommendation or two. I drive 500 miles/week commuting all highway to work. I have 238K miles now, and all orig equipment. The body roll and bounce are to the point of funny and maybe unsafe, and now it seems to be affecting tire wear. It's a ClubSport, so it has M-Tech suspension to start with, and I'd like to go a bit lower and >= original stiffness, but not at the expense of tire wear issues (neg camber, and that stuff I read from you hardcore guys.) I don't race and would never adjust, but I don't mind trading some ride comfort for some performance gain. No real budget, just don't want to buy more than I can use/appreciate, and I want them to last 80-100K miles, if poss. What do you guys think?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
m3outtanowhere

Get Ground Control Springs amd Bilstein Shocks. then KMAC camber kit and ALL new bushings. Do a search on UCAB and LCAB ect. everything rubber needs to be replaced