09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,615 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
chudzikb

Default WTB keyless entry module for 98

With shipping to 17603. If you have a remote that is better, but, I can live without one. It is the 2 button remote.
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
billyhalla

Hi Chudzikb,

I cannot send a private message without more than 5 posts, so hopefully this will bump your post! I have no other way to msg you.

I need help with a 95 VW Passat and from looking at another forum, you seem to have had the exact same problem. My 357953233 Alarm Module went wonky and now the car won't start. For a half grand, the VW dealer pulled it out from under the dash, and told me to unplug the 10 pin harness, put the car in On, plug in the 10-pin harness, then start the car.

I see that you bridged the wires on the relay to bypass this. Is there any way I can get a hold of you to ask a few questions? I pm'd you in the VW forum.

I will delete this post once I hear back from you or if I don't hear anything for a few days, so I don't end up hijacking your thread.

Thanks for any help!
Brian
billyhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
chudzikb

Dam, talk about tracking me from other forums! That was from the TDI club if I am correct? A vw tech explained the problem to me after I replaced the starter and NOTHING. There is an alarm control module, it is a silver box tucked up under the dash on the extreme left of the drivers side. Once you take that box out, find the thick wires. They would be the one to the starter. Snip, snip, wire nut and you are good to go. Never had a problem again after that. Do not hesitate if you have any other questions. Once you get the alarm control module out, it is immediately apparent what you need to do. (at least it was to me?) The purpose of it is to cut the starter circuit if it is egaged, thereby preventing theft. It only cost me $290 for my starters rebuild, so I got off for less than you!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
billyhalla

Thanks for the fast reply!

I installed stereos and alarms before, so it is odd that I wouldn't remember this (but it was 10 years ago). Now, the thick wires, #5 and #6, coming out of the alarm module (which I disassembled for fun ), when I snip them, am I joining them coming from the relay to the alarm module? Or joining them somewhere higher up in the dash (like prior to the relay)? I will make the grand assumption that joining the two thick wires at the alarm module is not the right choice.

If what I am saying makes absolutely no sense, if I am supposed to snip the two thick wires in between the alarm module and the relay (basically above the harness somewhere). Which of the four ends do I connect? I assume the two that are coming from under the dash to the harness and not from the harness to the dash. However, I am uncertain if you are in fact referring to wires further under the dash or if they are in fact the two large ones I can see very easily on the 6-pin harness.

This is a long shot, but just in case this doesn't work, I know the work around I mentioned above does work. When I disconnect the 10 pin connector, by any chance do you know what wire/wires are the ones that have to be disconnected on that 10 pin connector before I put the car in ON? I am assuming that when the techs told me to disconnect the 10 pin, there are only certain wires that have to be disconnected.. but that can't because they are all part of one connector. No problem if you don't know. If the wire splice doesn't work for me, I will do trial and error.

Thanks for the help thus far. I look forward to hearing what wires I should connect so I don't fry the car!

haha.
Brian
Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
chudzikb

This was long ago! As I recall, I just looked at it and there was one coming and one going? I sort of followed the wires, one went to the ignition switch, and one came or went from the battery. It is a break in the power, that is the purpose of the alarm relay module. If you put the wires together, the module has no purpose. (which is what you want) Only two wires need to be cut, the thickest ones if I recall? Look at it, and THINK about it conceptually, it will make sense when you think about it. This is not rocket science, you can figure it out!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
billyhalla

Ok... so if I have this right, the silver box is the actual alarm relay?

For some reason I thought that both of those thick wires went from that box, to a relay under the dash somewhere and then out to both the starter and the ignition switch.

When you cut the wires then, you didn't have to reach way up in the dash to do it behind another relay. You just had to cut them near the alarm box and join them together.

This all makes more sense because I was wondering why the wires were so thick if they were passing through a relay. Seemed they should have just been small signal wires.

I know it was a while back but if you could confirm anything I said above, would be a big help. Also, please let me know how you want me to proceed with this thread I hi-jacked! Should I leave as is or blank out the posts? I want you to be able to get your 17603!

Thanks much.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
chudzikb

Silver box = alarm relay. When it receives the signal, it snaps shut the circuit with the 2 thick wires. Once they are joined, you are good, there is no more interruption in the circuit and the car will start and run with no more interference from the alarm control module. Thus, when you think about it in theory, once you cut the two thick wires, you have taken the faulty piece out of the equation and the car will start. I swear, when I figured it out, it was like the light shown down and the birds were singing! Happy was the guy that did NOT have to buy a new alarm control module!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
billyhalla

Hey Chudzikb,

I thought I should come back and tell you it worked great. As soon as you confirmed that the box was in fact the relay, there were no issues.

Thanks for helping a random like myself out!
All the best with the 318.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
chudzikb

Glad to hear that it worked out. Always happy to help, when I can.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
tbake504

I am parting the car out and I had keyless entry, what does the module look like?
tbake504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
chudzikb

I already got one off of ebay. Paid a lot, so get some $$$ for yours!